Quantcast

"check for system update" option missing on LG 6400

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by ericd, May 27, 2014.

1. ericd

ericd Active Member

Anybody else with a LG 6400 notice the "check for system update" option is gone from the settings menu? It used to be located at settings< customer support (first option). Trying to "search settings" just brings you to the Customer support setting with no search for update option.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't have an LG model but the check for update option for the models I do own is:Settings>About>System Updates

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Try doing a factory reset and see if that brings it back.

4. ericd

ericd Active Member

A factory reset would probably work but I've got a slew of side-loaded apps that I'd have to re-install and to be honest, I don't forsee any updates coming for the LG, so it's not that big of a deal. I was just wondering if it was just isolated to my TV or if someone else with an LG had also lost the option to manually search for updates

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

that option disappeared on my GA6400 as well. ive dont a factory reset and still gone.

my guess is that there will never be any more updates for these GTV products ever again.

• Like Like x 2
  6. bobz

bobz Member

Uuhh thats sad..so they threw in the towel already.

7. ericd

ericd Active Member

Thanks for the reply, I was starting to wonder if I'd lost my mind. I hadn't seen anybody else post about the option loss

• Like Like x 2
  8. Xminus1

Xminus1 New Member

I have a LG G2 Google TV and it has disappeared from my customer service menu on my TV too. So your not "crazy". :) but, LG is, I called their customer service and after an hour of being bounced around from rep to rep to a supervisor, I was finally told they knew nothing about it, but would look into it and contact me back, which after a week, they have not. The reps sounded like they didn't know what "Google TV" was or that LG even made one. My vote for the worst customer service experience ever. I used to think that award went to Sirius, but I used their customer service recently and it has greatly improved, plus I was able to save half off my Sirius subscription. :):)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ericd

ericd Active Member

The weird thing is I was never notified of any update, the system update check just disappeared. Somehow LG managed to push an update that removed the "check update" without a notification. Every other system update I received asked for approval or at least showed a notification

• Like Like x 2
  10. Xminus1

Xminus1 New Member

Exactly, and it looks like even the softwere verisions have remained the same. This happening just weeks before the Google I/O event where Google is expected to announce "Android TV" says that Google, LG don't want people pinging there severs looking for updates after they announce "Android TV". I also think that it says we can forget about any more updates to Google TV or an upgrade to Android TV :(. I had so much hope when I got my Logitech Revue Google TV only to see that abandoned and then for my LG Google TV to see the same thing. I was weary about buying Google TV built into a TV that I may have for 7 fo 10 years. Note to potential Android TV buyers, Google will abandon you too.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  11. CatfishRivers

Well if you like the new Android TV when it comes out - hopefully there will be an Android TV set-top box available for $99 - and you could always keep enjoying your LG GTV television and connect the $99 box to it. I know it's not an ideal solution but if you really like android it could be an alternative.

This is why my own personal preference is to buy a "dumb TV" and connect an inexpensive set-top box to it. The Sony first generation GTV televisions kind of got scre*ed over also. They have the Intel chip so will never be updated beyond Honeycomb -and some of the 'newer' apps such as Vudu and Amazon video don't run on the Sony GTV televisions.

I suppose what Hisense is doing kind of makes sense. They seem to be offering android TVs in the USA at deeply discounted prices - so the value of the TV itself is a good deal and the GTV platform is like a "throw-in". That is the opposite approach of what Sony tried to do with their GTV televisions (which was to offer them at 'premium' expensive prices). It remains to be seen how Hisense will make out profit-wise with their new approach to marketing their android TVs. In offering the android TVs at a deeply discounted price they'll have to move a greater quantity of units to make it worth their while. I did notice that in Australia the Hisense Android TVs are much more expensive than in USA.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  12. ericd

ericd Active Member

As dis-heartening as LG's apparently washing their hands of the whole GTV debacle is, I'm still happy with my purchase. I've been able to enjoy all the benefits of Android 4.2 for over 7 months. I've found workarounds to almost all the roadblocks Google and all the content providers have thrown up (using a combination of a Roku streaming stick, a Chinese Android dongle and saving working versions of apps to dropbox)

LG's 6400 is also one of the only GTV devices (that I know of) that has a working Amazon Prime app (no need for the web site). XBMC is now working great for me (using a newer nightly build) and the Mobdro app is working great, side-loaded. With everything I have loaded on the TV now, there's really not much I can't stream through one of the options available to me.
    The only down side to my TV right now is Chrome lack of updates and the loss of flash. Even without a viable web surfing alternative I've found just about all the content I need through side-loading off the Playstore

13. ganesh24200

ganesh24200 New Member

So much disappointed with google TV wreck.
    People buy Tv's expecting they will last for years, and google abandoning us in a year ???
    Was cautioned by few friends before buying this LG/Google crap , but had a gut feeling that company like google will provide some kind of support.
    Will NEVER gonna buy google/android product again.
    BEWARE people, Don't fall into crappy android TV trap.
    If you want your TV to be smart buy Apple TV / Roku / Amazon Fire TV or something that is not very expensive and easily replaceable if technology advances enough.
    I am refraining myself from buying any android/google product.

14. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, all second generation and beyond Google TV models include a working Amazon Prime app, I know the three models I use do or at least did the last time I subscribed to Amazon Prime.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

LG used to only have 1 cust serv call center in Panama central america, but recently they opened up a second call center in the Philippines. the Panama reps really do know thier stuff, but the philly reps are just atrocious.

16. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

sounds like you are not familiar with how google always does things. im not sure what other device google has provided years of support for, but it is common knowledge that google does not provide support for their devices, and it is also common knowledge that google will up and abandon certain projects out of know where...so i would actually say that its your fault for not understanding what you are getting into.

17. CatfishRivers

Google is guaranteeing 5 years of support for Chromebooks/Chromeboxes. It would be great if Google offered something like this kind of support for Android TV - but I doubt that they will:

Google Chromebooks now get 5 years of support - Liliputing

All of the various Chrome OS devices have an EOL date published here:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/eol.html

18. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

ok so they provide support for 1 product, Chrome OS.....all of their other products, Google TV, That Q speaker thing, chrome cast, all have no supprt, etc.... Google them selves dont even have a customer service phone number you can call for any of their services...that pretty much proves my point.

even though they dont support most of what they put out....they are still the most amazing company ever to grace this world.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  19. ganesh24200

ganesh24200 New Member

Yep, wasn't familiar with google crap.
    Now stuck with it :( , but will make sure will never fall in google crap trap.
    Its insane to completely abandon product in year, specially when its full of bugs.
    and they had plex advertised on the BOX of TV , and they removed it with jelly bean upgrade and now we have to pay $1.99 from google play store.
    Its not about paying $2, Its about at least sticking to things you advertise.
    so annoyed :S

20. ericd

ericd Active Member

I started with a Sony NSX 40" GT1 when Google claimed it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. A year later it was announced the NSX processor couldn't handle the Android 4.2 update so I upgraded to an LG 6400.

Deja-Vu, a year later Google announces their next great thing with no announced plans to update the exiting hardware. I understand staying on the cutting edge of technology comes at a price but Google can't seriously expect me to continue to run out and buy a new streaming box or smart TV every year.