Quantcast

CheapCast gives your Google TV most of Chromecast's features

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by SchmittyThePirate, Aug 9, 2013.

1. SchmittyThePirate

SchmittyThePirate New Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Good news, hopefully it will become a good alternative for the first gen Google TV devices that won't receive an update for Chromecast. I won't mess with it for the second gen boxes.

3. sleepraider

sleepraider New Member

Looks very promising. I dont see the harm in installing this app on a second gen until the update rolls out. For me, it wont be useful ( i really need the chrome tab casting) and because I just ordered the chromecast... but neat nevertheless.

4. ChrisG8

I couldn't get CheapCast to work well enough to use on a Sony NSZ-GT1 and TouchPad running CM9 which is Android 4.0. YouTube would start to play, audio only, then just stop, no video at all. I uninstalled it but might try again after it is updated.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Judging from the comments in the following thread on the Google+ Google TV Community - Cheapcast doesn't currently work with GTV devices:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/106823242956483833682/posts/YNf9BRGqbMT

It's my understanding that Cheapcast app is still in beta - it will currently work with a lot of android devices - but apparently not with GTV. IMO it will eventually work with GTV after the Jellybean update.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Update: There is a new thread today that mentions Cheapcast will work with Google Music on GTV - however nothing else currently works with Cheapcast on GTV:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/118103114501574608776/posts/EWnrhznfx2g

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

In the following thread it's mentioned that the "ScreenShare" app can be sideloaded to GTV. The GTV will then display everything from android phone - however the controls don't work. You would need to sideload the tablet version of ScreenShare app onto GTV device - and the phone version onto your phone:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/101508104351141925460/posts/8SeCFzHrjtT

Here is the link to the ScreenShare tablet app in Google Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.springdesign.screenshare.browser.client

7. ChrisG8

The way I thought CheapCast would work is just send the URL address for the selected YouTube video to the device but apparently that isn't what happened when I tested it using a Sony NSZ-GT1. I also own a Chromecast and have used it with YouTube and my tablet, it does work really well but since I don't use a tablet to find programs to watch, it isn't of any real use to me. The optimized apps with Chromecast work well, YouTube, Netflix, Google Play Movies and Music, nothing else works well in my experience. If CheapCast can be updated to really work like Chromecast eventually and will do it with the first gen Google TV models, it will be a nice app for those that do like to dink around with a smart phone or tablet to find something to watch on a big screen HDTV.

8. ChrisG8

CheapCast is still indicated as compatible with my Sony NSZ-GT1 but I still can't get it to work. I will try again in a couple of weeks or so.

9. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

For Chrome Browser tab 'casting' from my laptop, I just use the 'send to phone' feature and works great for my needs.