Quantcast

CHART OF THE DAY: Why Apple TV Is Dominating Despite Weaker Content Selection

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 16, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Interesting chart. Do you agree with the hypothesis?

CHART OF THE DAY: Why Apple TV Is Dominating Despite Weaker Content Selection | Business Insider Australia (click for full article)

by Jay yarrow - July 16, 2013

"Apple TV dominates the relatively small market of streaming video boxes, according to a report from Frost & Sullivan. It has 56% of the market, Roku has 21.5% of the market, and the rest is split amongst a group of other streaming devices.

The reason Apple TV is doing well is that it has "AirPlay" which is Apple's technology that allows a user to wirelessly beam their iPhone's, iPad's, or Mac's screen to a TV.

"AppleTV's AirPlay feature was strategically crafted to simplify the process of transferring laptop and tablet displays to a TV screen, and it is AirPlaying - not OTT streaming - that is the primary reason for purchase of AppleTV devices," says Frost & Sullivan.

This is important for Google, or Amazon, which is reportedly interested in this market. Instead of going after more and more content, it should figure out how to make its streaming gadgets work well with its own mobile devices. "

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

Well based on the inference of the article about Apple TV - if Google really wants GTV sales to thrive they would be wise to have this "Chromekey" feature (see link below) adapted for GTV devices:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...creating-35-hdmi-dongle-called-chromekey.html

However IMO Google's apparent plan of making Chromekey available as a generic dongle for all devices would probably cut into GTV sales.

Also Miracast seems to be kind of buggy and a bit of a flop thus far.

http://gtvsource.com/2013/06/07/chromekey-rumor/ (click for full article)

Chromekey: A Device With Features Google TV Should Have Gotten Long Ago!

posted on Jun 7th 2013 at 10:19pm by Edgar Cervantes

3. CatfishRivers

Apple Owns 56% Of The Streaming Devices Market, Roku Second With 21% - Dan Rayburn - StreamingMediaBlog.com (click for full article)

by Dan Rayburn - July 16, 2013

"We've just released our latest Frost & Sullivan report on the size of the Consumer Video Devices Market, which details the market drivers, restraints to market growth, product and pricing trends, competitive landscape, and market forecasts and trend analysis broken out by region of the world for the next five years. Our report details sales numbers showing that Apple owned 56% of the streaming devices market in 2012, with Roku coming in second at 21% of the market."

Also from the article:

"Google is conspicuous by its absence in this segment. Devices based on the Google TV platform have seen very little commercial success so far, with our estimates of less than 1M total installed devices, of which the discontinued Logitech Revue accounts for the lion's share. Google remains committed to competing in this space, however, and a bunch of new devices with Google TV have launched in recent months, joining Vizio's C0-Star device, including the Hisense Pulse, Asus Qube and NeoTV Prime."

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't believe Apple had 56% of the market in 2012. I don't understand why accessing content from a phone or tablet is important. I think accessing content from the internet, local servers, and local PCs are important and couldn't care less about accessing content from a phone or tablet, some things just make no sense to me.

5. CatfishRivers

Hmm they estimate GTV has only 1 million "total installed" GTV devices. Does that mean the total in use now? or the total sold altogether since launch? And if the majority are Logitech Revues - that means the second generation GTV box sales are very poor. That seems like a very low estimate to me. Could it really be that low? A bit hard for me to believe.

I will say I follow the GTV sales charts on Amazon and currently the GTV device sales are very slow.

6. ChrisG8

No, 1 million Google TV devices in service is nonsense, the number is much greater than that. Other estimates I have seen have Roku outselling Apple TV so the whole market is not easy to estimate although I accept Google TV is third and Roku and Apple TV are the top two.

7. CatfishRivers

Here are the links to some reports/articles that tend to indicate the Frost & Sullivan sales numbers are in the ballpark:

Apple TV sales surpass 13 million, 'about half' sold this year | The Verge

"When questioned on stage at the D11 conference about Apple's current standing in the TV market, CEO Tim Cook provided some new sales figures for the company's Apple TV set-top box. "For several years we were selling a few hundred thousand," Cook said. "We've now sold over 13 million. About half of those in the last year." That would mean the company has sold approximately 6.5 million units over the last 12 months"

Roku Raises $60 Million from Fidelity, Hearst Corp. for Web TV Push - Peter Kafka - Media - AllThingsD

"The last time Roku released numbers of those sales, in March, the company said it had sold 5 million boxes to date, but Wood said sales are "strongly accelerating." (Last night, Cook said Apple has sold more than 13 million of its Apple TV boxes.)"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an interesting article about Google TV sales from February 28, 2012:

http://gigaom.com/2012/02/28/google-tv-number-of-active-devices/

"Google TV comes with a number of pre-installed apps, which are also listed on the Android Market. One example of this is the TV and Movies app, which is basically Google TV's programming guide - an essential part of the Google TV experience that most users wouldn't dare to delete from their machines. The active install base for this app, according to Google's Android Market, currently is 500,000 to 1 million. The same is true for all the other apps that come pre-installed with Google TV, which suggests that the number of Google TV devices that are currently being used by consumers is less than 1 million.

This data is supported by findings from Xyologic, which recently estimated that the install base for various preinstalled apps ranges from around 600,000 to 900,000 devices. I asked Xyologic co-founder Matthäus Krzykowski how the company gathers its data, and he told me that it estimates the install base of apps based on a number of data points, and usually only sees error margins of a few percentage points."

8. ChrisG8

Apple may have sold any number to retailers, it is sold to consumers that matters and I believe more Roku boxes are in consumer's hands than Apple TV boxes. At some point the market will be big enough to matter and a reliable source will be available but that isn't what we have now. I would like to see a link as evidence for the 5 million Roku boxes as of March. March of what year? Only Roku 2 boxes or all from the very first Roku box sold about seven years ago? I say no way the grand total as of March 2013 was only 5 million sold.

9. CatfishRivers

In 2011 Roku sold 1.5 million boxes and had a grand total of 2.5 million boxes sold since inception. These numbers would tend to make sense in that Roku has sold a grand total of 5 million boxes through March 2013. But I'll try to find some more links if I can:

Roku sold 1.5 million boxes last year, 25% below expectations

10. ChrisG8

I have read the article before, claiming only 1 million Google TV boxes in service a year and a half ago, nothing more than a guess based on nothing of significance. Using Google TV to play local files only, no internet streaming, doesn't show up in that figure. What is important is how many of the devices have been sold. A huge majority of Google TV devices sold are still functional, although many are not being used, at least in any manner that will show up in that total. I think the updates last year brought a lot of boxes out of the closet and the second generation boxes and displays have probably sold better than the first. Google TV displays used as TVs only won't show up. I know a huge number of Apple TV boxes are not being used but Apple is talking sales, not numbers in service, so it is best to compare oranges to oranges and talk Google TV sales as well and the number sure isn't 1 million, it is a multiple of that.

11. CatfishRivers

Actually using the average of the pre-install app method mentioned in the Giga-Om article - that would come out to 750,000 GTV devices in use at that time.

I believe the bulk of the 750,000 figure can be accounted to Logitech Revues AFTER the price dropped to $99.

The Frost & Sullivan report is accurate in saying the bulk of sales came from the Logitech Revue. It actually sold fairly well at $99. Much better than any of the current GTV devices are selling.

So I'm going to make a rough estimate of 400,000 to 600,000 second generation boxes have been sold. I have read somewhere that LG sells 11,000 GTV televisions a month.

Adding it all up IMO GTV sales could be between 1.2 million to 1.5 million. So the Frost & Sullivan numbers could be a bit low in the 1 million estimate - but not terribly so.

So overall IMO the Frost & Sullivan report is "in the ballpark" on it's sales figures for Apple TV, Roku, and Google TV.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  12. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

One thing that hurts Roku is that no one knows they exist.When I mention Roku I always hear the same reply,"WHAT'S THAT" I would have never known about it if it was not an amazon deal of the day.What I love most about my GTV is the fact it has a browser!I have my Roku2 XS and the Sony GS7 hard wired with cat6 cable and enjoy them both,but I'm usually on the GS7 more! I had an I Pod given to me and they have some quality apps but the small screen doesn't make for everyday use.People seem to think Apple can do no wrong but AppleTV is limited when compared to Roku or GTV.Man I can't wait till we get our JB 4.2 upgrade! As Winston Churchill said: "I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself" and "Statistics are like a drunk with a lampost: used more for support than illumination".

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  13. CatfishRivers

Roku hotter than Apple TV, report says | Internet & Media - CNET News (click for full article)

by Lance Whitney - August 14, 2013

Roku has a leg up over Apple TV with users of set-top boxes, says a report out Wednesday.

In a survey of 10,000 U.S. broadband households with streaming media devices, Parks Associates found that 37 percent primarly use a Roku, while 24 percent use an Apple TV. Further, Roku is the most used streaming set-top box in the U.S., the poll found.

Whichever device is the most popular, streaming-media boxes continue to expand their reach. The percentage of broadband households with such devices has doubled since 2011, reaching 14 percent this year.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013