Quantcast

Channel Information readable by apps?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by miGi, Feb 5, 2012.

1. miGi

miGi New Member

Hi,

I'm new here to the forum and to GTV in general as well.

I was just wondering, if it is theoretically possible for app developers to read the channel information.
    Especially, I'm interested in reading information about the show that's on. So, e.g. if I'm watching a football/hockey/basketball game: can an app read for example the teams that are playing at the moment?

I searched on google and on this forum but didn't find anything that could help me.

Thanks very much for the help!

greetings
    miGi

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There are 2 apps that I think might be what you are looking for. "Are You Watching This" and "Thuuz". You can read about them from these links:

Are You Watching This?! Launches Android App with Advanced TV Integrations and Notifications, Alerts Fans to Instant Classics

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/16/thu...-or-not-you-should-be-watching-a-sports-game/

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The app developer would need to ask you what you're watching. There's no API to "discover" what you're currently watching. I think it might be possible for the Sony Internet TV's because of the built-in tuner, but Sony would have had to implemented their own APIs. However, there is no way of knowing for sure what you're watching on a set-top box especially when someone can use the OEM remote to "throw off" the system.

4. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

The DirecTV set top boxes will broadcast what you are watching over wifi, and a number of DirecTV remote apps use this feature (you have to enable it in the wifi settings of your stb). Not sure about other content providers, but I see no reason why this couldn't be used for DTV customers...

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool. Now that you mention it, Tivo does the same thing. Well, it doesn't re-broadcast what you're watching, but it has a way of identifying the show that's being displayed. This allows the the Tivo apps for smartphone and tablets to interact with it appropriately. For example, give you more information about the movie/episode, give you alternate suggestions, and even setup recordings. Another cool feature is being able to set your recordings based on broadcasted commercials whether its live or recorded.

6. miGi

miGi New Member

Hey guys!

Thanks so far for the help :)

As I understand, it is only possible to read the information if the provider allows to do so?! Legal issues maybe?
    I somehow don't understand why, because you can see channel and show information e.g. via EPG. With Unix-Boxes you are able to read the information, aren't you?

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I think you missed our point, it only works if the tuner can communicate the information to Google TV. As it is now, there's no two-way communications between boxes. It is two separate streams of information. IR signals to the set-top box for control and Video/Audio to Google for display.