Quantcast

Changing IP Address?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by guest, Jul 27, 2013.

1. guest

guest Active Member

How do I change my IP address? The reason why I ask is that the first page of my Google search results are from the U.K. or Asia. I'm in the Americas (Central America). Google has not been helpful in resolving this issue. Do I put in a request to my Internet Service Provider to change the IP address? Do you think that will solve the problem?

2. retroben

retroben Active Member

This method probably differs between GTV Televisions/STBs.

Go into Sytem Settings from the home menu.
    Go to Network and then choose your connections type (Wi-Fi or Ethernet).
    I am on Wi-Fi.

If you are Wi-Fi,go down to the connection you are using in the Wi-Fi networks list and long press it.
    Long pressing is where you hold down the selection button until a menu pops up.
    Use either the trackpad's (mouse?) clicker or the selection button.
    Go to Modify Network and then scroll down to change the IP setting from DHCP to static if not already changed.
    After it is set to static,you will have to come up with the right IP address for yourself.
    Usually the first two numbers are always 192.168 as default.
    If you backspace to completely remove the current IP address,it will reveal the original default address.
    There is also another factor that can determine the performance of your internet called DNS.
    Backspacing these will reveal the recommended Google DNS server numbers as the default.
    You will have to type them in manually to make it save.

I'm not sure how to configure ethernet settings,but,it shows the DHCP selected when I go to it,so I guess you just switch it to static and set it the same way as Wi-Fi.

3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

To test whether your search results are based on your IP address, I would try searching while logged out of Google. Or you can use a Proxy website. If you suspect your IP address is generating a different country or geolocation than where you are actually accessing the internet from, a simpler route is to call yer ISP and have them check it out.