Quantcast

Changing DNS

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by kilfinan, Jan 2, 2013.

1. kilfinan

kilfinan New Member

Does anyone know how to change the DNS on this device to access usunblock?

Thanks

Kilfinan

2. sudeep

sudeep New Member

From the top of my head:
    1. Go to Settings > Network > Wireless or Ethernet (whichever your active connection is, don't remember the exact menu option name)
    2. Long press your connection name and you should get a context menu
    3. Select Modify Network
    4. Find the section where it says "DHCP" and change it to "Static" (again, don't remember the option label)
    5. This should show fields to enter manual DNS addresses

Remember to restart the box (ctrl + shift + backspace)

Update: Or follow this from Unblock US: http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291585
    (remembered they have this instruction after posting my reply)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  3. mandam

mandam New Member

i change the dns number it wont let me set it why is that. I Go to Settings > Network > Ethernet change it to "Static but it wont let me set it i have to keep it at DHCP do i have to chage something else thanks plus thank for the quick response for my usb problem which i found out has to do with the upgrade that Sony put out you guys rock

4. kilfinan

kilfinan New Member

Same problem here. The box won't let me save the new settings. Haven't tried a wired connection yet.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  6. kilfinan

kilfinan New Member

They are correct about static v DHCP. Residential users won't get a static IP unless they pay. BT for example always use DHCP and my IP address changes regularly.It is the DNS that needs changed but the only way of achieving this seems to be by changing from DHCP on the system to Static. I also have a Boxee unit and you can change the DNS quite easily without touching the IP settings. I'll keep investigating.

7. Aslan442

Aslan442 New Member

I was able to change my dns settings by disconnecting the wired connection going wireless changed to static saved settings then reconnected the wired connection hope this helps

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

8. Aslan442

Aslan442 New Member

Sorry ment to say I have the Sony nsz box

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

9. guest

guest Active Member

The last post in the Logitech Forum is from AlanF51 in response to your issue, but you never responded to it. Can you tell us what happened when you made the changes suggested by AlanF51?

10. CatfishRivers

Nothing happened. The recommendations made in that thread by Alan51 and Logitech support failed to work for me.

11. mandam

mandam New Member

tried as i might nothing worked for me so what i came up with is that it maybe Sony nsz box needs a frimwere upgrade has to be the only problem that i can think off

12. squig007

squig007 New Member

any updates on this guys as ive purchased one and im waiting on it coming and need to change the dns settings

13. callanish

callanish Member

I've been using unotelly static DNS settings just fine with both the Sony Nsz and logitech revue for over a year and they accepted the changes with no problems. I continue to watch regional u.k content from the U.S through the googletv boxes without any issues. Just saying, I don't have a problem doing this either through ethernet or wirelessly. Unotelly DNS is a proxy server, but the Sony and the Revue works through them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  14. squig007

squig007 New Member

great pal can you give me instructions on how you done this ? thanks in advance

15. callanish

callanish Member

Sguig007.....All I've done is gone to my settings on the Sony and obviously went to all apps, settings, network, and my static information is in front of me

I'd picked an ip address that doesn't clash with any other equipment in the house. My gateway is my router gateway. Network prefix remains 24 and my dns is unotellys's DNS. The second DNS is google's 8.8.4.4, so I just leave that blank. Unotelly also provides a proxy server for the west coast as well as what's called a dynamo DNS server address that lets me choose a static setup allowing me to switch between Netflix U.K and U.S on the fly.

Doing this Works fine for a lot of U.K content that I watch in the U.S. Honestly, I'm running two static proxy servers on the Sony and Revue through ethernet and another Revue connected wirelessly through the proxy server and have been running regional content outside of the U.K for close to 2 years with both the Revue boxes and just over a year with the Sony Google Tv box.

Can't figure why so many people are having problems with this. It was pretty straight forward for me.

16. squig007

squig007 New Member

so would the easy way to do this be .to.copy all the ip gateway stuff etc from.mynrouters homepage and then.once i choose static ip just copy in the details and them.add the dns settings and thats it done ?

17. callanish

callanish Member

Don't know if you're running windows, but I used the information from the command prompt. Type cmd, type ipconfig /all. Look under default gateway for the gateway address. For the ip address box in the google tv settings, pick an ip address that doesn't clash with anything else running. I originally had both of my google tv boxes on the same ip address and any video content I tried to access....example bbc iplayer just froze the box and that was because I had the same settings on both boxes, so if that happens just change it to another number. That number should be something like 192.168.0.14 and a gateway address would be something like 192.168.0.1. Make sure you manually fill in the 24 number prefix length. Just because it's already in the box doesn't mean you don't have to type it in again. As for the DNS box unblock-us or unotelly will provide that for you and the second dns 2' you can either leave blank ( google default ) or fill in with your proxy server backup dns settings, and then just press set......and that's it whether done through ethernet or wirelessly.

Sorry, doing this on the go, so my reply is a bit of a mess and I had to change a few things, so,you might want to re-read it again because my first draft might have been confusing.

18. squig007

squig007 New Member

cheers mate.im.waiting on the box coming so will update u when it arrives

19. callanish

callanish Member

Do that. If you need any further help setting it up, just ask.

20. CatfishRivers

I can say for a fact that this definitely doesn't work with my Logitech Revue. Although I see some others are able to get it to work - while some can't.

To OP - I wouldn't actually assume it will work until you get your NSZ-GS7 and try it yourself. In my particular instance I have a Logitech Revue and I'm connected by ethernet - and I'm using a Zoom cable modem model# 5241. My ISP is Comcast. I posted a link near the beginning of this thread (to a thread that I started in the Logitech Revue Forum) - with moderators and others giving tips and suggestions on how to do it. As I said nothing works for me. But that's not to say that it won't work for you.

I suspect my Revue has a firmware issue - (as I'm stuck on the 3.1 update). Some of the Revues had corrupted firmware. So perhaps this is why I'm not able to change the DNS on my Revue.