Quantcast

CES 2012: Vizio's Google TV Will Debut In Summer

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 9, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

CES 2012: Vizio’s Google TV will debut in summer - The Washington Post (click for full article)

"CES 2012: Vizio's Google TV will debut in summer

By Nilay Patel, Monday, January 9, 3:56 PM

Vizio's here at CES 2012 with its riff on Google TV - and it's something. The company has totally skinned Google's smart TV OS with a skin just like the one on its tablets, and it's built in a layer of DLNA-based content sharing services. (Think AirPlay, but compatible with anything DLNA and made smoother when sharing from Vizio tablets and PCs to the new smart TV.) There's still Android Market, of course, and Vizio's staying up to date with the platform as it develops - they told me they talk to Google "every day."

Vizio's also got a new Bluetooth Google TV remote with a touchpad and dedicated Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu buttons on the front, and a QWERTY keyboard on the back. There's also a standard IR smart TV remote with a QWERTY on the back, but no touchpad - it's a little thinner than the chunky Bluetooth model. Remotes are quickly becoming an important sub-story at CES as the smart TV market heats up, and Vizio's are some of the most comfortable we've used so far.

Vizio says the TV will come out in the summer, but there's no pricing yet."

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Heh, heh. I can already use the DLNA "push to" aka "play to" clients on the Sony Internet TV. That reminds me... I haven't tested whether or not it will work with the Logitech Revue.

3. CatfishRivers

4. CatfishRivers

5. CatfishRivers

This is the first article where I've seen a price mentioned for the upcoming Vizio GTV set-top box. It will be priced at $99 and is scheduled for a spring release:

Vizio gets in the Google TV game, will support OnLive | CES 2012: Home Theater and Audio - CNET Blogs

"Vizio will be taking online preorders for the VAP430 in the spring for $99. The VBR430 Blu-ray player doesn't have pricing yet, but should be released in the summer."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Here is a link to a nice picture of the upcoming Vizio GTV set-top box (along with the controller) from the Vizio web site:

http://www.vizio.com/ces/streamplayer/overview

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  6. halox

halox New Member

I'm most excited about this Vizio box - good to see it at the $99 price point. Just hope they don't skin it too much ... I like my GTV vanilla, thank you very much.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, Vizio doesn't make anything so whatever company manufactures these Google TV boxes may become an OEM of some importance, making similar boxes for several companies. The Blu-ray player is likely going to be manufactured by a company that has made prior Vizio Blu-ray players. I am getting ahead of myself here, so far, there isn't a market large enough for store branded Best Buy or Wal-Mart or Amazon Google TV boxes but there may be by this time next year. We may find LG, Samsung, Marvell, and Vizio players or some combination being made by the same company. It is time for Google TV to start rocking and rolling.

I think the Sony, LG and Vizio boxes look nice and I am optimistic all will be upgrades from the first generation products. That won't stop the whining because the ________ player doesn't play _________ home made files but I already don't pay any attention to that nonsense.

8. CatfishRivers

CES 2012: Vizio Stream Player With Google TV And Onlive TV Product Demo Preview Walkthrough:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  9. CatfishRivers

Here is an article with a nice summary of all the Vizio products that were announced at CES. Aside from the GTV products the "CinemaWide" 21:9 TVs and the 10 inch tablet look interesting. I noticed in the article that the Vizio "VIA Plus" app ecosystem contains Hulu Plus and apps from Yahoo Connected TV Store. It's my understanding that their GTV products will also contain the VIA Plus internent apps. So that should be a nice addition.

Vizio Unveils 2012 TV Line, Including 21:9, Google TV SKUs - 2012-01-30 05:01:00 | TWICE

From the article:

"The VIA ecosystem includes such services as Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Facebook, Flickr, Netflix, Rhapsody, Pandora, Twitter, Vudu, Yahoo! TV Widgets and Fandango.

Also Vizio adds the Yahoo! Connected TV store, providing access to more than 180 free and paid TV apps from CBS, Showtime, Pandora, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, AT&T, iHeart-Radio, Fandago and QVC.

New addition iHeart is Clear Channel's digital radio service with customizable listening to more than 800 popular live broadcast and digital-only radio stations from 150 cities, and user-created Custom Stations.

The WSJ Live app from The Wall Street Journal offers up to four total hours of live video programming each business day from across the Wall Street Journal Digital Network, including the Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Barron's, MarketWatch, SmartMoney and AllThingsD.com.

M-GO, offered on Vizio TVs and Blu-ray Disc players is an on-demand service from Technicolor that combines movies, music, apps, live TV and more. The app will help consumers find the content they're looking for through an extensive content library and discovery engine, while also providing second-screen functionality for searching additional content.

To navigate the VIA platform Vizio includes a Bluetooth universal remote control with its integrated QWERTY keypad. The sets also include built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi access. "

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012