Quantcast

Cellphone As GTV Remote Control

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by chicha29, Dec 7, 2011.

1. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

What is the least expensive cellphone that can be used as a remote control with the Logitech GTV?

2. thedude

thedude Member

Buy an Android phone (new or used), or buy an ipod touch (new or used). The remote works over wifi.

• Like Like x 2
  3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That would depend on the cellphone services in your area and how much they subsidize. For example, the Motorola Atrix 4G* is currently being subsidized for a penny with a two year contract with AT&T.

• Like Like x 2
  4. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

How about an unlocked one, not tied to any cellphone service provider? Where I am, I use a pre-paid card/chip - once you put a few dollars on the card, the minutes/funds don't expire for a year or so.

5. zarthan

zarthan New Member

You could probably find a used Cell phone on Craigslist or EBay with an unusable ESN or MEID pretty cheap. Samsung is selling an iPod touch like device (Samsung Galaxy without the phone). There are also sub $100 7 inch tablets.

• Like Like x 2
  6. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Not a cellphone, but how about those cheapo universal remotes? Does the Logitech database support inexpensive remotes for GTV, along with the umpteen DVD player models and sundry electronic devices? I've spent the past 15+ years surfing the web with the WEBTV/MSNTV remote controls. An in-the-palm-of-the-hand remote control is much more comfortable to use than a keyboard.

• Like Like x 2
  7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Logitech Harmony 200 and 300 are pretty inexpensive remotes. However, they do require the use of a computer to program them. There are also plenty of JP1 and Pronto base remotes that can be programmed with the Logitech IR commands but again will need a computer to set them up.

• Like Like x 4
  8. papabare

papabare New Member

You can always do what I did, get a prepaid android phone (Virgin has a GREAT LG Optimus for $100, or if you just want a remote get the cheapest prepaid you can find, doesn't need to have service). Also there are the <$70 tablets at places like geeks dot com

9. sarends

sarends New Member

BTW, I really like using our (3) Android phones as remotes for our (2) Revue boxes. Switching between the two Revues is easy to do. Sometimes it is nice having the full size Revue keyboard and at other times it is nice being able to control what used to take (2) clunky remotes by a simple android phone!

10. juanricos

juanricos New Member

Working android phones can be found on ebay for around $50 possibly even lower. You only need wifi for a GTV remote, no service is needed. The phones I have worked with (Moto Droid, DroidX, X2) have operated fine as a mini wifi tablet without being activated.

Also a actual wifi equipped android tablet will work as well, just bigger.

11. LadyAngler

LadyAngler Moderator Staff Member

Yup, my vtab its perfect... Almost. I have the logitech app installed. But this tablet also has it's own remote app and has a built in ir blaster. So... Anything that the logitech app won't control I have the Vizio remote app that will. All on the same device.
    The only device I can't get the Vizio remote app to control is my dish 722k dvr. But the logitech app controls most of what I need for the dvr.

I like that I can set up multiple rooms on the Vizio remote. I even have it set up to control the tv and dvd player in my camper. I love it!

Sent from my VTAB1008/ giant remote

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Wait a second. Is that because your Dish 722k DVR is setup to respond to RF commands and/or is using a pairing address other #1?

And where is that review you promised us for that tablet?

13. swould333

swould333 Member

How'd you get the Harmony app to work on a Tablet... I tried installing it on both my Viewsonic G-tab and my Archos101... the old app worked.. but the new flat out gives a "this application isn't compatible with theis device" message on the screen? will I posibly have to change the device ID in the Build.Prop on the tablet to get it to work?

14. LadyAngler

I think it is because that the dish dvr is dual. Not sure on that eferz. The Vizio app is controlling another dish 222 dvr though. Just not the second TV that is tied to that dvr. If that makes sense. Unfortunately the Vizio app cannot learn commands either. But I think the Vizio app works pretty dang good. Vizio does claim that the tablet can control 95% if devices.:cool:

I promised a review? Lol...it is called old timers. I think i have that condition. Okay, I will try to put a review up tomorrow. :)

~¤~Sent by a Bolt aka Angry Bird Slayer~¤~

15. LadyAngler

I think maybe because my Vtab is still gingerbread base. I downloaded logitech remote app from the Android market. I am finding that some apps that are not available for my Vtab via the Android market still work fine if I side load them though.

16. swould333

swould333 Member

Yeah, My Archos is stock at 2.2 and i had no luck with it ... this weekend I'll drop Cyanogen onto my Gtab and see if that resolves it....

17. thedude

thedude Member

The Android app is greatly improved with 3.1. There's a new screen that has hotkeys that jump to functions you would want to use like DVR, etc...

18. LadyAngler

Yah...I really liked the update EXCEPT that now the logitech remote app won't work on my vtab!!! I did find an older version if the app via a long web search but I think it is way older (version 1.0.8) than the last working one I had on the vtab. At least I have a working app on the vtab though. Do if any one still has the apk before the logitech remote 2.0.0 update pass it this way please LOL. So maybe I need 1.9.9 version??? LOL

For my phone the updated app is swwwweeeeet though... I really like!

EDIT: Where is the guide button in the new app?

Sent from my VTAB1008/ giant remote

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  19. thedude

thedude Member

It's one of the big buttons on the shortcut screen, the initial one you get that has watch google tv, DVR, etc...

20. LadyAngler

I still don't see a guide button.lol
    $uploadfromtaptalk1323607393791.jpg