Quantcast

Cat and Mouse games at youtube and google tv

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by mdovell, Mar 6, 2012.

1. mdovell

mdovell New Member

I've found a significant amount of content on youtube that works great on google tv. The new version of the app works well.

But I've noticed a few movies that say it is "not compatible with googletv" I find this is odd given it works on a laptop with ease.

I can pm the links but I see some connections. If a movie was uploaded say within the past 15 years and was popular...and is in HD then it is targeted to not work. Either that or there are specific movies that have been given to google to outright block them on google tv.

Out of about 100 or so movies I've compiled only a handful do this but it is still odd. It isn't a technology thing because I've seen streaming video and streaming hd video with no issues.

It seems that if a movie is uploaded by a significant group then it won't work period. For example crackle movies don't appear to work with the youtube app. Maybe they fear it could skip the commercials, who knows. There's a russian film one for some reason does not work..kinda ticks me off because it is a legit movie that came out a long time ago (solaris)

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Search Solaris, choose Google from list, Click 'Videos' on side bar, Full length Movie (1972) should show up. Remember, if You Tube gives ya a problem always check Google Videos. I tried just posting the URL, but the actual movie showed up.

Carl

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Are you referring only to movies attempted to be played through the YouTube app? I don't use the YouTube app - but rather I view everything from YouTube on Chrome with my Revue. I've never had a single video blocked when viewing YouTube w/ Chrome.

4. Carlszone

Hi

There are some movies on the Google videos site that are not synched w/the Youtube Broadcast yourself site, or our Youtube App. There are probably proprietary reasons for these distinctions. For example, I can get 'Countdown To Looking Glass' on YouTube via Chrome or the App, in 9 parts. But on Google's Video site I can stream the actual movie in its entirety.

This isn't our App not performing. It is an obvious separation of movie content that have been authorized for streaming only via the pre-youtube aquisition. I believe, even tho Google acquired Youtube, content availability reverts back to the Digital Rights of pre-existing agreements that limits sharing via both paltforms. Likewise free movies are still not accessible via our App. This has been discussed in detail before so I don't see any reason to delve into the digital rights quagmire Google has gotten itself into by the separation of its viewable content as regards Movie streaming limitations on GTV.

Suffice it to say, there's a lot of content on Google Videos that is not available, (as far as I know) on You Tube.

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I still think the majority of content will be found by doing a search on YouTube - and then look on the side where it says "suggestions". I found a lot of full movies that way. Not always the specific movie I was searching for - but decent full movies nonetheless (and these are not movies that show up in the regular "YouTube Movies" search section). Google videos stopped accepting new videos quite a while ago.

I think the point that the OP was making was that there are certain YouTube videos that will play on a computer - however when that same video is attempted to be played via the YouTube app - the user gets a message that the requested video is not available on Google TV.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Carlszone

Thanks Catfish

I DO understand the point of the previous post and yours. But a simple search makes me aware of movies I've archived since my MSNTV 2 days that can still to be found intact on the Google website. This does not conflict w/your and others opinion that Youtube via Chrome is the preferred method of searching content.

Heck, I toggle between the Youtube App and the site constantly. I just felt compelled to add that using our unique integrated search feature might be the determining factor in how we streamline our viewing of all content whether it be Google, Youtube, or unrelated sources.

One movie I was always looking out for was called, "Taking Chance." It was hard to search for on computers and other search engines because you would often get the movie, "Taking Chances," as the result of most searches. Our integrated search actually can isolate unwanted results and w/the Video/Movie search listing I was able to find the full movie that played flawlessly for a short while. My view of Apps remains the same. They are best used for personalization. Not as a replacement for Websites. I wouldn't give up the Netflix website and being able to search movies by actors, for the App which while it allows us to stream content, limits our search to only movie and show titles.

Hey, I'm still in discovery mode, having fun!

Carl