Quantcast

Can't watch online episodes of tv shows

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by gumbo, Nov 19, 2011.

1. gumbo

gumbo New Member

Get this message : "The device, operating system, or web browser you're using is not currently supported. For a list of recommended operating sustems and browsers, please see the help section." I go to the help section and get THIS msg: "System requirements for viewing episodes on the web:
    Adobe Flash Player 10.0 or later
    IE, 7.0 or later, Firefox 2.0 or later
    Microsoft Windows XP or later, Linux (Adobe Flash playback only)

If GTV has Adobe flash, how come I can't watch tv episodes online????? (As you can probably tell, I'm not that tech savvy.) ANY help will be APPRECIATED!! THANKS!!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The problem has nothing to do with Flash. I suspect that the problem is that the website recognizes that Google TV uses the Chrome web browser and therefore not meeing the "IE, 7.0 or later, Firefox 2.0 or later" requirements. What's happening is the respective website is using web scripts to curate content availability. In this case, they're getting the information from the web browser's user agent and limiting content access.

You can check your user agent by going to this website: Whats My User Agent? Here are some examples of the various user agents.

You can go into Chrome browser and change the User Agent string, by going to GTV Menu > Settings > Advanced > Mode > Custom then spoofing the User Agent string from another browser in the Custom value text box. This will allow you to get past some sites, but only the ones discriminates its viewership solely through the User Agent string. However, some sites have also use the flash.system.capabilities class from the Flash plug-in and/or the navigator object from javascript. These are all valid methods which web programmers can "tailor content for your platform". Unfortunately, if the sites use either of these methods, you will not be able to bypass them on Google TV.

3. WhereAmI

WhereAmI New Member

Updating Setting Location for the updated GTV version that released 11/2011.

Launch CHROME --> Menu --> Settings --> Advanced --> Under the Hood --> User Agent