Quantcast

Can't Watch ESPN3 on Sony nsz-gs7 or gs8

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by h823putt, Dec 26, 2013.

1. h823putt

h823putt New Member

Is there some way to watch ESPN3 using my Sony Google TV box? I have no problem using my computer by using my brighthouse account, but it does not work with the Sony device. I tried the Thuuz app and it froze at the log in screen. Thanks for any thoughts.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi try changing the user agent on your GTV to the following user agent (this worked for me on my Logitech Revue):

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/32.0.1667.0 Safari/537.36

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*To change the user agent go to Chrome settings ------> Advanced Settings --------> Under the Hood --------> and then scroll down and check the box that says "custom user agent" - next copy and paste the user agent string that I provided above into the empty box (below where it says "custom user agent") - and then click "OK"

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It worked the last time I used it for ESPN3 but it required babying. I quit using Google TV for ESPN3 when Roku added a WatchESPN channel. The Google TV Chrome browser loads ESPN3 slowly and switching to another event is painful with Google TV.

I always had to run RAM Booster, closing apps and clearing RAM, before loading ESPN3 for it to work consistently and be sure not to have any other browser windows open simultaneously. Given those limitations, it would almost always work fine for that single event, forget trying to do something else with that Google TV while the commercial is on, it won't work without crashing ESPN3, just sit through the commercial. An optimized app like Roku has is what I hoped we would get with Google TV, Roku finally added WatchESPN a few months ago so I haven't looked back. ESPN3 is the only thing I use Roku for right now although it does a lot of other things really well too, just nothing I currently use since I like the Google TV Netflix app better and like having a full sized keyboard for searches.

4. h823putt

h823putt New Member

Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately it did not work.

5. ChrisG8

I just checked my routine, run Smart RAM booster, kill apps and clear RAM and cache, go to ESPN3 by this link.

Streaming Online - WatchESPN

Select whatever available event I want and watch it, it works fine subject to the requirements I set out above. My browser is just the default browser and the link is an old no longer available bowl game but it is just the link I have always used, for some reason it seems to load quicker than the others. The result this morning was 4 bars on the quality meter, so the highest quality. I have Comcast Xfinity up to 25Mbps internet service.

6. ChrisG8

I should add, I don't have a cable subscription with ESPN that would allow me to watch the other WatchESPN streaming services, all I can access and use is ESPN3 provided by Xfinity, the others all require a verification of the cable subscription. I can't comment on whether or not the other WatchESPN services will work with Google TV but I used ESPN3 fairly often for about 2.5 years. Without the steps I outlined, it would often freeze or not load, but once I started using that specific process, it always worked reliably.

7. h823putt

h823putt New Member

I tried Catfish's suggestion, but as I said it was not successful for me. Yes I could buy a Roku just for the capability of watch ESPN3, but the reason that I did not buy the Roku is because my wife likes to watch programming via tvseries.net which has entire episode sets of many TV series. I sent an inquiry to Sony and this is their response:

"I understand that you are unable to access espn website from you network media player. The web browser on the internet media device does not support the use of Adobe Flash Player. Websites that require the use of Adobe Flash Player may not display correctly. The Adobe Flash Player is built directly into the Google Chrome browser and enable by default. It is not possible to upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Flash Player used by the Google Chrome browser."

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

A couple more things you can try: 1) rebooting 2) clearing cookies

Can you describe your issue with ESPN3? Do you click on a link for a video and just nothing happens? I've had that problem intermittently - I'm thinking it could be caused by a corrupt cookie. The Flash player is not the problem - as ESPN works with Flash 10.2.

I have seen the issue of clicking links for videos on ESPN3 and then "nothing happens" - on several other GTV threads. Seeing as how it works for some GTV users and not others - my assumption is that there is probably a 'bug' with the ESPN3 web site (which involves ESPN3 interacting with the Chrome browser utilizing certain ISPs). I don't believe your GTV device is defective.

If you click an ESPN3 video link and "something happens" - such as the video tries to load but you just see a spinning circle (or it crashes or loads slow) - then ChrisG8's suggestion of managing available RAM would be appropriate.

Here is a link to a previous GTV thread about similar problems encountered on ESPN3:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-help/6903-espn3-suddenly-not-working.html

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  9. gullit

gullit New Member

Has anyone watched WatchEspn on their GS7 lately? I tried watching a game today and I was signed in and when I went to click on the game nothing pops up? I tried clearing the cache and rebooting but nothing.

10. ChrisG8

It didn't work for me the last time I checked. I just went to the ESPN site and the FAQ indicates Adoble Flash 10.2 or later is required. I don't recall which version we are on, only that is less than 11. I will try again and see what happens.

11. ChrisG8

We are on 10.2. I just went to ESPN3, loaded the MLS Game of the Week, Portland vs. San Jose, using a Sony NSZ-GT1 and it worked. There should be no difference between the GT1 and NS7/NS8, both are on the same Chrome and Adobe Flash versions.