Quantcast

Can't view .avi files via DLNA?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by jking47, Nov 15, 2010.

1. jking47

jking47 New Member

So I've been having a heck of a time getting video from my home computer over to my Sony google tv box. I initially tried connecting a USB drive to it, but there are apparently way too many issues with that right now (limited to fat32, limited drive size, etc).

I wound up setting up DLNA access, which after a couple hours of struggles it got working. Problem is, I couldn't view .avi or .wmv files. Apparently they are invalid and need to be converted to mpg4? I was a bit confused by this limitation, as if I go to Gallery (picasaweb) and select one of the .avi videos it shows it with no problem. Tell me this makes sense and I'm crazy for thinking it would work under either app...

Of course, the end all be all plan is to connect a multiTb USB device to it and just have that as another indexed storage area for videos. This would allow me to start ripping my huge collection of DVD's and putting them away in storage instead of taking up 4 bookshelf units in my living room. With a max file size of 4Gb on a fat32 drive though, it seems like this is a pipe dream.