Quantcast

can't update and can't download apps from play store

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by leshaun1980, Nov 12, 2012.

1. leshaun1980

leshaun1980 New Member

I just bought my sony player and connected it to my network. I can look at youtube and netflix and anything on the internet just fine. I can't update it to the latest build. Whenever I go to update it says checking for updates. I have left it on that screen for up to an hour and nothing happens. also whenever I go to the play store and try to download an app it says loading under the app and that's it.

Any help would be appreciated. I have talked to sony numerous times and they insist that something is wrong with my internet provider. I doubt this is true because I am a technician for my internet provider and I have checked, double checked and triple checked my internet.

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

3. leshaun1980

leshaun1980 New Member

Thanks,

I've tried all of those except the factory-reset then create a new google account.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Are you connected to internet by Wi-Fi or ethernet? As a troubleshooting measure can you try removing your router from your setup and connecting directly to modem.

If you are currently connected by ethernet - then try connecting by Wi-Fi.

As you can see from the following thread (see link below) - other Google TV users are having similar issues:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sonys-nsz-gs7/6554-youtube-upgrade.html

There probably is nothing wrong your internet service - there is a quirk in the way that GTV interacts with some routers and this is the usual cause for your symptoms that you mentioned. Please read the thread that I linked to above carefully. There are some troubleshooting measures that you can try. Such as setting a static IP.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  5. delboy

delboy New Member

Hi. I am having the same issues. see youtube upgrade thread. I have talked to Sony Esupport twice now about this issue and have got nowhere. The first time they told me the Iplayer was faulty and needs to be taken back to the place of purchase and get it replaced, which it did. The second chat I got escalated to second level Esupport and after two hours chatting it ended with no conclusion to fixing the issue. As you, in my previous life I worked in the High tech R&D communications industry and my gut feeling is, that the Sony box is not handling something correctly in the network or encryption. As I have not had any problems of this nature with my Linksys E3000 router before. It is one of the small number of routers that handles VoIP SIP protocol really well.

I forgot to add my Iplayer is currently in the DMZ mode on the router. Which makes it connected directly to the internet and still has the issue. It will be interesting to know what router you are using and if you are still experiencing the issue when the Iplayer is put into the DMZ mode.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  6. vedder012

vedder012 New Member

Try changing you dns servers on you router,must google search google dns or open dns

• Like Like x 2
  7. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^ +1

Do you have Voice-Modem(digital phone device) digital phone service? & which ISP?
    Did you try connecting to the modem directly?
    Did you by a chance tried these? (especially #5)

Also, have a look here to get some ideas.

Good luck :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  8. delboy

delboy New Member

I now have my Sony Iplayer working. it is plug into a Airlink101 router without any programming alteration. Therefore I can confirm the issue is a router problem in both cases. If I get my Sony Iplayer working with the linksys E3000 router over the weekend. I will post my finds for all

• Like Like x 4
  9. futureboy

futureboy New Member

for the E3000 try unchecking the "Filter Anonymous Requests" check box.

10. leshaun1980

leshaun1980 New Member

Sorry for the late post. I work very long hours. Still having the same issues. So I have tried all of the about suggestions. At least all that I could try. I do believe it is a modem/router problem. The only problem I have is I do have a voice-modem that is also a gateway. It is an: ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 2.0 Touchstone Telephony Gateway
    MODEL: TG862G

Tomorrow I will be switching this out for some sort of voice-modem and router combination. I will retry all of the troubleshooting again and let you guys know what I find. If you guys have anymore suggestions please let me know.

11. leshaun1980

leshaun1980 New Member

delboy what model Airlink101 router do you have?

12. delboy

delboy New Member

Hi. I have just verified that the Airlink 101, model AR725W router works well with the Sony Iplayer. I just plug an ethernet cable into the router and connected to up to the TV and away we went. Worked like a Charm

As for my Linksys E3000 router. see my report in thread " youtube upgrade".

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  13. leshaun1980

leshaun1980 New Member

*****latest update****

I replaced my gateway for a voice modem and netgear router. I factory reseted NSZ-GS7. Still no luck. I connected directly to the modem and still same issue.

I have been talking to Sony's support for a couple of days now and yesterday they told that there is a problem with my isp and that they could not communicate with their servers. Luckly I have family in the area with a different isp. Today I took the box over there and connected directly to the modem and tried all steps again.

I then called Sony back and informed them that I was on a different isp and still having the same issue. The lady I talked to was very helpful. She informed me that there have been multiple calls on this and there engineers have been working on the problem. She said she will call me back with information as she gets it. Hopefully all this is true and I don't just throw this in the garbage.

14. CatfishRivers

Can you try connecting to the Netgear Router by wi-fi and see if it works that way?

15. leshaun1980

leshaun1980 New Member

I have tried wifi and no luck.

16. CatfishRivers

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you're having with your new Sony NSZ-ZS7. Just out of curiosity what is the resolution of your TV? It has also been mentioned that some older TVs that aren't true 720P (such as 1024 x 768 pixels) don't function with the NSZ-ZS7.

17. leshaun1980

leshaun1980 New Member

it is a Proscan 1080p (1920 x 1080) led tv

18. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

What's left to try is,

To (temporarily) replace that "voice modem" with "Motorola cable modem (model: SB6120 or model: SB6121) and try it,

• With the "Netgear router" (new Modem > Router > GS7).
    • Without the "Netgear router" (new Modem > GS7).

But then you may have to call your ISP twice,

1. to try the new modem - activate your new modem (have the new modem "MAC address" ready).
    2. to put back the "voice modem" - re-activate your original "voice modem" (have the voice/modem "MAC address" ready).

(remember to) Reboot Modem/Router, then factory reset GS7.

& While you at it, (temporarily) try "AirPort Express Base Station" or "AirPort Extreme Base Station" with the "Moto modem (SB6120 / SB6121).

FYI, connecting GS7 directly to the modem may not work with all ISPs.

Something to think about :D

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  19. delboy

delboy New Member

Hi leshaun1980.

I have just managed to get my Sony Iplayer working OK to a Linksys WRT320N router. Which I had left over from a clients site.
    I have just purchased in the Black Friday sales a linksys EA6500 smart router. This was a Cisco Chat recommended replacement for my current router Linksys E3000. I was going to purchase the Netgear R6300 as it had very good reviews. But, I am not sure or can't find out how well this router handles the SIP protocol across the Network Translation Table (NAT) for VoIP communications which is a must for me. Where as Linksys routers are know to handle SIP protocol over the NAT very well and compliant to Internet Engineering Task force (IETF) specifications.

I will let you know over the weekend if this new router works or not

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  20. delboy

delboy New Member

Hi Leshaun 1980. I have my Sony internet player working with the new linksys EA6500 router.