Quantcast

Can't stream Play Music app from phone to Chromecast

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by ETPhoneHomeT, Jul 26, 2013.

1. ETPhoneHomeT

ETPhoneHomeT New Member

For some reason, I can't stream my Play Music app from my phone to my Chromecast on my TV. I'm able to stream Netflix and Youtube perfectly fine, but the Play Music app doesn't have the little icon at the top of the screen to send to Chromecast. I have a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx running stock 4.1.2 JB and the latest version of the Google Play Music app version 5.1.11106K.749200. I have the same version of Google Play Music on my N7 tablet and from there, I'm able to stream music to Chromecast without any problem. Any ideas?

2. vhdcinema

vhdcinema New Member

Google for latest Play downloads.

3. dts924s

dts924s New Member

I have a droid Razr and I am experiencing the same thing. All of my apps have the latest updates. I'm wondering if this is a motorola issue?

4. ETPhoneHomeT

ETPhoneHomeT New Member

Version of Google Play Music app shown in my OP is the latest version according to the play store. Funny thing is that it shows in the "what's new" that they added the ability to stream music to Chromecast.

5. 007_shark

007_shark New Member

I don't have the Chromecast, but I searched the Google Play store just now for the Play Music app and found this:

What's New
    v.5.0.1106K
    * Send your music to your TV (when used with Chromecast)
    * Bug Fixes
    * Increased tap target size for context menus

If this is the version you are using, I would try to clear app data and then use the refresh option inside the app.

6. ETPhoneHomeT

ETPhoneHomeT New Member

Thanks for the suggestion but no luck. Interestingly, the Google Play Store does show the latest version as 5.0.1106K, but the app on my phone and N7 tablet is definitely 5.1.1106K. I posted my issue in a thread on the Google Product Forums and several other Moto Razr/Razr Maxx owners were having the exact same issue, so perhaps it's a Motorola issue. Works fine from my N7 tablet, laptop and PC, so not critical...just wish it would work like it's designed to do.

7. ETPhoneHomeT

ETPhoneHomeT New Member

I just got off the phone with Motorola Level 2 support. The explanation I got is that the Motorola Razr Maxx is running 4.1.2 and Chromecast was designed to run on 4.2.2 and above. I have the older version Nexus 7 tablet running 4.2.2 (still waiting for upcoming 4.3 update) and Chromecast works perfectly with it. The rep said that if the Razr Maxx ever receives another update, then Chromecast should have full functionality with the Razr/Razr Maxx.

I'm not really sure if this is a valid explanation or not. According to the Chromecast website, "Chromecast is compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 2.3+ smartphones and tablets".

So, I guess my question to readers of this thread is: Does anybody running 4.1.2 or lower have a Chromecast setup and if so, do you have full functionality controlling Chromecast from your smartphone, Motorola or otherwise?

8. veraderock

veraderock Administrator Staff Member

Hmm, sounds strange to me.. My chromecast works geat with Google music through my Galaxy S3, which is running 4.1.2 ..

I've tried Google Music, Youtube and Netflix all which work great!

9. veraderock

veraderock Administrator Staff Member

In fact, everyday when I get home from work my wife is listening to her phone through chromecast (she has an S3 as well)

10. ETPhoneHomeT

ETPhoneHomeT New Member

11. ETPhoneHomeT

ETPhoneHomeT New Member

So this is progress? I forgot all about the fact that I still have my old Droid X sitting around the house, running 2.3.4. I fired it up tonight, installed the Chromecast app and updated to the current version of the Play Music app and it streamed the music to Chromecast on the TV perfectly! Tried it once again with my Razr Maxx running 4.1.2 with the same version of the Play Music app and still no go.

12. ETPhoneHomeT

ETPhoneHomeT New Member

New update to Google Play Music app version 5.1.1.1109K just came out. Installed it on my Razr Maxx and it can now stream to my Chromecast! Play Movies & TV app still doesn't work, but not it big deal for me as I don't use it.

13. Steffenfield

Steffenfield New Member

I'm having the same issues.

I can't stream Music or Personal Videos from my tablet to the television anymore.

The Chromecast icon is missing and has been replaced with a Share button tool instead.

I have a Nexus 10 running Android 4.3 that is not rooted.

14. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^
    Do you mean "personal videos" from youtube? or, where u using something like AirCast? Anyway, you can try to (uninstall it) reboot the tablet, open “Chromecast app” (& from the 3 dots pull-down menu) reboot (or factory-reset) Chromecast stick. open YouTube (Netflix, Play Music or Play Movies) app & see if the “cast button” > "Chromcast device" is visible … (if you factory-reset it, re-setup CC before checking)

Btw, there is no official app to cast local personal videos, yet. also, Play Music has new version 5.1.1.1109K (as mentioned above).

15. Steffenfield

Steffenfield New Member

Hey revue.

Thank you so much for the response.

By personal videos, I mean the ones that were downloaded on my Nexus 10 tablet.

I could have sworn that I was able to stream them before to the TV.

Netflix and YouTube work just fine and all of my software versions are current.

I just noticed that I can't even stream a song to the TV from the tablet and get an error stating "Unable to stream song. Can't play a slideloaded song remotely."

I tried Aircast but it's too complicated for me.

I don't even know what Drop box is. :(

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  16. Steffenfield

Steffenfield New Member

Also, how can I get rid of sharing whatever I am watching?

There doesn't seem to be a way to deselect this new feature.

Cheers.

17. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

So, (w/ YouTube & Netflix ok) Chromscast is working... except for Play Music? ( you streaming songs from Google Play Music, i assume?)

The “Share button” appears whenever you touch an item, btw.
    Out of curiosity, what’s listed in “Share button” menu? (besides; Bluetooth, Drive, G+, etc ..)

Try “Clear data” then “Force stop” Play Music app – from Settings > Apps > Play Music
    or, Factory data reset the tablet (& start fresh) - from Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset

also, (temporarily) disable NFC & Android Beam (if not used)
    Settings> Wireless & networks > More > NFC (off)
    Settings > Wireless & networks > More > Android Beam

18. ETPhoneHomeT

ETPhoneHomeT New Member

Just got an update to Google Play Movies & TV, version 2.7.15, and the cast icon now appears at the top of the screen on my phone. I'm not a current user of that service but assume since the icon is now there that everything that is supposed to work on Chromecast (Netflix, YouTube, Play Music and Play Movies & TV) is now working for me on my Droid Razr Maxx.