Quantcast

Can't sign in with Google Apps account?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by bookemdano, Jun 11, 2013.

1. bookemdano

bookemdano New Member

Hello all. Just got my first Google TV box, a Vizio Co-Star. I'm impressed with it overall (heard it's vastly improved now). But I am having a huge issue I can't seem to solve...

To get much use out of the box you have to sign in with a Google account, and it asks you for this during setup. So when I put in my Google account credentials I immediately get back the error "Invalid Gmail account".

While it's true that my Google account doesn't end in gmail.com (it uses my own personal domain name) it is every bit a full-fledged Google account complete with gmail. It's from Google's "Google Apps" program that they've had around for years now. I use that Google account for everything, including all of my Play purchases for Android, all my music purchases, photos, etc.

I'm pretty experienced with troubleshooting so first thing I did was some web searches for this issue... came up with nada. If Google Apps accounts aren't compatible with Google TV I am positive I would have found some discussion about it somewhere (believe it or not there are a lot of Google Apps users out there). I found one post here from a few years back from a poster who couldn't sign into his Google Apps account but it was apparently because he had 2-factor authentication turned on. I tried toggling that on and off too but with no change--I still get the immediate "Invalid Gmail account" error as soon as I hit enter on the sign-in screen (the speed with which the error message comes up makes me question if the box is even attempting to sign in).

So I'm stuck. All of my content is under my Google Apps account. I have a true gmail account that I keep as a backup. I tried using that to sign in and it worked just fine, but that account has none of my purchases, mail, or photos.

I simply can't believe Google would have overlooked its (paying!) Apps users when designing Google TV. Is this somehow a Co-Star limitation? Anyone else with a Co-Star able to sign in to a Google Apps account with it?

tl;dr Can't get Google Apps account working with Vizio Co-Star... can't find any discussion about the problem online. Anyone successfully use Google Apps with Google TV?

Thanks!

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to make the primary user account w/your domain name that is a Google Account. I have a Google Acct under the e-mail address msn.com. When I entered that address on the Logitech Revue, Sony GS7, Hisense Pulse, the units accepted my account. It simply synced my msn.com addy acct and converted it to gmail.com. So now I can access my acct w/either addy, msn or gmail. I remember the Vizio Co-Star as the only device that would not accept my msn.com address, but required the gmail addy. I was told it was a temporary glitch.

Guess not...

Carl

3. bookemdano

bookemdano New Member

Thanks for the reply Carl. Very helpful info (though disappointing). At least I won't continue pulling my hair out thinking I had something misconfigured somewhere. I guess I will try to complain direct to Vizio and hope they give a damn (after reading your post it doesn't seem promising though).

4. bookemdano

bookemdano New Member

For the benefit of anyone else with this problem, I found a post here where another user kindly posted a workaround.

I can't post the link because I don't have 10 posts here yet, but just copy and paste this into your browser:
    [h=1][/h]googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/7447-v4-6-0-doesn-t-support-non-gmail-account-addresses.html#post48034

Happy to report that it works! :)

• Like Like x 2