Quantcast

Can't log on to play store

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by bigfig, Sep 10, 2013.

1. bigfig

bigfig New Member

Hey guys,

great to be part of this board. Been a user and fan of the co star since it came out. Over the last 2 wweeks or so I haven't been able to sign into the play store. Keep getting a message that the password is invalid or has been changed. I am logged onto both chrome & youtube so it doesn't make sense. I went into the system settings and removed the app data hoping this would fix the problem but no luck. Anyone have this problem or a clue as to what the issue is?

The only thing that's changed over the last 2 weeks was I hooked up google authenticator. This caused me to have to re-log on to all my google services. Can this be the culprit?

Appreciate any help

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. I came across the following information from the Google Help Section. It says that the most common cause of the password error is the 2-step verification:

-- Username & password errors

The most common cause of username/password mismatch errors when trying to access Google Play is that your account uses 2-step verification, but you haven't set up an application-specific password for use on your Android phone or tablet.

What is two-step verification?

Two-step verification adds an extra layer of security to your Google Account. In addition to your username and password, it requires you to enter a code upon sign in that is sent to you by Google via text or voice message.

How do I know if I have 2-step verification enabled?

To check if 2-step verification is turned on for your account and whether it is causing the username/password mismatch error when accessing Google Play:

Sign in to your Google Account and go to the 2-step verification settings page.
    Under Security, you'll see 2-step verification, On/Off and Edit.
    Using your Android device/Google Play with 2-step verification

To use your Android device and Google Play with 2-step verification, you'll need to set up an application-specific password. Once you've generated an application-specific password, on your Android phone or tablet:

Enter your username.

Enter your application-specific password in the password field.

If you get the option "remember my application-specific password" or "stay signed in," you can select this so you won't have to generate and enter a new application-specific password each time you access your account from this device.

Now that you have successfully added your Google Account to your device, you'll be able to start using Google Play.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2651409?hl=en#

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  3. bigfig

bigfig New Member

Your advice fixed me right up! Had a bunch of apps that needed to be updated. Thanks again for your help!

4. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

oh good heavens!! bigfig you just reminded me!! gotta go check my apps and make sure they got updated! I stepped away for lunch,came back and forgot to look..they're full pr surprises aren't they? some self update and others seem to need a nudge

5. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

Nope no problem here..I had to go out for a few hours but checked back with the google play..no problem what so ever.