Quantcast

Can't get receiver hooked up to Sony Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by pzant, Aug 4, 2012.

1. pzant

pzant New Member

I own a Sony TV with google tv built in. I have the TV hooked up to my Sony 7.1 receiver and it works perfectly for my cable and for my blue ray player. When I use the tv for netflix, mlbtv, or google tv I only get sound through the TV. I thought the fine people at Sony idiot proofed this for me by labeling the HDMI on the back of the TV that says to receiver and labeling the back of the receiver to TV. I now feel that they are toying with me by making it appear to be that simple. I've trying hooking up additional HDMI cable to the TV and the receiver, but that didn't work.
    Is there a setting on the TV that I have to change to get the sound to run through my receiver when I'm streaming things off the internet?

2. Lakedubvt

Lakedubvt New Member

Your set up should be Cable Box hdmi to the Sony Google. Then hdmi from the Sony Google tv "out" to your AV Receiver then hdmi from the av receiver "out" to your tv.

From the all app screen you can hit menu then system settings - picture and sound to check your audio settings.

To have the remote control the AV Receiver as the "main volume" menu-system settings-tv avr-volume control setting -select audio system.

The receiver should be set to the input the Google tv is connected to. If the av receiver is changing inputs on you. Try menu-system settings-unit settings-control for hdmi-select off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

3. Lakedubvt

Lakedubvt New Member

Just realized that you said that you have an actual Google TV and not a receiver box. You will have to run an optical audio cable from the "audio out" port on the television to the receiver.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Hi,

You could connect an Optical cable from TV to AVR (as "Lakedubvt" suggested above).

Or

Use the same HDMI cable that is currently connected between the TV and AVR to send audio from the TV to the AVR but make sure to enable ARC (Audio Return Channel) in both the TV settings and the AVR settings.
    (TV "Control for HDMI" may need to be set to "On" and the hdmi cable is plugged into "HDMI IN 1").

If you need more detail/help on this one, try to post make/model of the TV & AVR maybe someone with the same setup would assist - Good luck

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  5. pzant

pzant New Member

Thank you both for the help. I ended up getting an optical cable and it's working great.

6. zen2go

zen2go New Member

Same issue here. Looks like the Sony TV does not have ARC, I couldn't find that setting anywhere.