Quantcast

Can't get my new NSZ-GS7 to control my DirecTV Genie box

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Ciege, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Ciege

Ciege New Member

Just picked up a new NSZ-GS7 to replace my aging Logitech Revue. Everything seems to be working more or less OK except for one thing. No matter which setting or code I use I cannot get the NSZ-GS7 to control my DirecTV Gernie HR34-700 box.
    My Revue could control it fine. My URC branded universal remote can control it fine (both through IR) but not the NSZ-GS7.

I've used the PVR setting, selected DirecTV and went through all 14 of the DirecTV codes to no avail. I tried adding the HR34 by model number, but it isn't in the database. I've tried using the other codes available (HR20, 22 23, 24, etc...) and all nothing.

I've tried using with and without the IR repeater dongle and still nothing...

The NSZ-GS7 will control my receiver (Onkyo) and TV (Sony) through IR fine. All the components are in the same open stand.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how to make this thing control my DirecTV DVR!?!?

Thanks!

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Not sure if that can be much of help, but I think the Genie HR34 box supports the same IR code sets (of 8) as the HR2x boxes.
    I suggest, you make sure your HR34 box is in IR mode (not RF mode).
    Use a digital camera to check if GS7’s IR blaster is sending any signals (while pressing channel up/down).
    & check out this thread for any helpful workaround (if any). good luck.

3. Ciege

Ciege New Member

Thanks, I'll give those a try when I get home.
    However, I'm quite sure the box is in IR mode since my Revue could control the DVR fine as well as my IR universal remote. Maybe (just maybe) my remote channel change buttons aren't working...?

4. Ciege

Ciege New Member

Well I used the digital camera trick and sure enough, the GS7 was sending no IR signals when I used any of the DVR functionality (channel change, pause, play, guide, list, etc...). So I went back and re-set up the DVR by selecting PVR then DirecTV. Using ANY of the DTV codes during the test and no IR from the GS7. Strange!
    I then went back and set up again this time using the Satellite/Terrestrial setting. This time using the DirecTV codes the GS7 DID send IR and DID control my DVR correctly. That made little to no sense to me, but alas it works and I'm not asking any more questions about it...

Thanks for the reminder/hint that a digital camera can see the IR signals. That was what got me back on the right track.