Quantcast

Can't Get HD Channels

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by mooechili, Aug 27, 2011.

1. mooechili

mooechili New Member

Got it set up yesterday with a Samsung HD box with Time Warner cable. Get the regular channels but no HDs, called TW and best guess was a bad box. Exchanged it and still have the problem, and at times can be difficult to pick up regular channels. TW will be here Weds, but I want to know if there is something on my end that I have missed in setting it up. Thx

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The channel decrypting and tuning is handled entirely by the set-top box. There shouldn't be any issues from the Google TV end, as it can only process the audio and video data from HDMI output of the Samsung HD box.

Btw, out of curiosity which Google TV device do you have? And what is the model of the Samsung HD from Time Warner? I understand there are a few deployed in the Time Warner ecosystem; SMT-H3050, SMT-H3260, SMT-H3270. SMT-H3262, SMT-H3090, and SMT-H3272.

3. mooechili

mooechili New Member

Thanks for your reply. TV is 24", Samsung HD box SMT-H3262, and they are hooked up HDMI. After that wireless, I may opt to change that to ethernet.
    Still the same problem, any HD channel is unavailable, and when I flashback to regular channel it usually doesn't work, have to try a few times to get a picture. The TW tech probably won't know much about GTV (as I too so far), just trying to make sure it's not a user error on my part.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Ah, okay, then I assume you're referring to the 24" Sony Internet TV (NSX-24GT1) like I have. Time Warner is also my paid channel provider, however, they have assigned me different boxes: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC and 4240HDC. As far as TW is concern, its just another television. There's no reason for them to differentiate it with any other television. And, it sounds like your setup is perfectly fine, as it mimics mine.

There could be a number of problems, preventing you from enjoying access to HD channels but its all on Time Warner. For example, a filter at the your local distribution box which is preventing you from getting certain frequencies. They usually use these when you only subscribe to a small subset of services to avoid you from gaining free access to others. Sometimes when you add or remove services, the tech might have forget to register that it is there. Or, it could be that your service has the wrong level of access on their computers or your box isn't accepting the updates. And of course, it could be that your set-top box is just plain wonky. Either way, your problem should be resolved by the tech when he comes over.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

You also may want to check your tv settings to see if the HD Channels box is checked and enabled.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the: GTV Settings > TV Source > Edit Configured device > HD Channels > Enable

I just disabled it on both the Logitech Revue and Sony Internet TV, rebooted, and it didn't have any effect on the reception of HD channels. Didn't think it could affect the set-top boxes, but I tested it and was able to channel up/down into HD channels and type in the channel number for perfect reception. I would have at least thought it would affect the Search results or filter out content in the "What's On" widget but it didn't. I wonder what that setting really does.

7. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If it was my setup I would check the HDMI cable since you say Regular channels are having some problems as well. Also if your tv is upgradeable via firmware on a usb stick or over wifi , I would check and make sure it is up to date, but it sounds a lot like your cable is not up to par.

You can check the cable by hooking something other then the google tv to it like a roku or gaming system that can be hooked up as well via hdmi. Also check to make sure both ends of the cable are snug and in the inputs as maybe the cable is loose, etc.

8. mooechili

mooechili New Member

Yes, it's the 24GT1 model, and yes the HD box is checked, still doing the same thing. Regular stations hit or miss, HD channels are "unavailable", however I do get the info for the channels, just no pic.
    TW supplied the HDMI cord simply by my asking, I assume it's new but will check connections and see if I can swap another cord..haven't considered the cord, guess I should have.
    Thanks!

9. mooechili

mooechili New Member

Rechecked the HDMI and no difference, though I should try a another cord to be sure. I'm thinking it can't be cable box, this is my second. The first box, when updating, did show a software update fail of some sort. I called TW and they couldn't solve it but could have a tech by Weds. I didn't want to wait so exchanged boxes, TW assoc checked the box I returned and told me it was working..I opted for a new box and same problem. Also, I have premium service so kinda rule out the filters. I do have phone, internet & cable from TW, in one of my recent conversations with them they did sell me on an upgrade to turbo on internet, but don't think that would be a factor. I do have 3 HD boxes in house working.

10. mooechili

mooechili New Member

OK, I'm not that bright, let me explain further. When I got the 1st box I set up the TV, paired remotes, etc on HDMI 1. Returned that box for the new one, when configuring I set it up again, I started with HDMI 2 but for some reason went back to HDMI 1 after realizing I had to re-synch everything.
    So I had 2 configurations, both on HDMI 1. Was just looking around in menu, looked at the first one I set up, I got to the screen where tv screen is small, says you should see a picture..I tried an HD channel and got it. So I added that first one I set up on HDMI 1 and got the first two HD channels I tried..but then went back to the same problem. Went back to settings, disconnected the second HDMI 1 I set up.
    All the available channels are checked, HD is on, I'm thinking now gotta be me, user error, is there something else I should look at in settings?

11. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

You could always reset the google tv and set it up again like it's just out of the box and see if that fixes it. Just bring up your settings , I think FN+1 will do it, then scroll to the bottom of the settings list, I think it says about or something like that and do a factory restore there.

That should allow you to reset everything from scratch like before. Or you could press FN+1 to bring up the settings, and scroll down to video input and choose configured devices and choose the configured device and choose disconnect device and then re-add it without having to reset your tv to factory defaults.

12. mooechili

mooechili New Member

Thanks so much for the help. I factory reset it and still the same. Having TW, channels 4,5,6.. are pretty much local, not HD and don't have the "push select for enhanced version" option. Then when you get to a little higher channel #s you get non HD channels that have the option to click to go to enhanced version, AKA HD.
    So after reset I did some checking, channels 4,5.. I get a picture every time I go but it is bad quality, definite reception problems. Then the other regular channels that offer 'enhanced version' are the ones that are hit and miss with picture. Any HD channel is 'unavailable' and never get a picture.
    I'm thinking some kind of cable problem, will find out Weds and let you know how it's resolved. Thx

13. Winkle

Winkle New Member

You dont have the enhanced option?? how do you know of this, was it explained in a post i missed..

I have my tv hook str8 to the cable and skipped the enhanced option and am missing some channels but think its cuz I dont have an extra box..
    anyhow I do get HD channels but will reset my box to see if the enhanced option gives me more TV..

round here.. we have a Distrubtion box to a cable box..
    So mine just goes D-Box to my TV..

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That option in the new setup wizard is referring to the enhanced DVR integration for specific Dish receivers. And "wow!" since I last posted in this thread, you guys gone waaaaaaaaay off the deep-end in trying to troubleshoot what should be a cablebox problem.

15. mooechili

mooechili New Member

LOL Maybe I did go off the deep end, just trying to narrow it down before TW comes and make sure I didn't screw up somewhere.
    By "enhanced version", that is to do with Time Warner cable guide and not GTV..example, the non-HD version of Discovery is on channel 27 ..and when you go there the guide says there is an enhanced version and by clicking 'select' it will take you to the HD channel for Discovery.
    For me, channels 4,5,6,7,8 are local and even though there are HD versions, for whatever reason the TW guide does not offer enhanced versions of those channels. And these are the channels I always get a picture, but it's not a good picture. And now finding a few channels on other HD TVs in the house that have a similar problem, so it's got to be a TW problem.
    Sorry for all the trouble, GTV has a slight learning curve but getting the hang of it pretty well, if my wife can do it then it's got to be easy. :)

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yup, I have Time Warner as well, so I know exactly what you're talking about. However, Winkle, is referring to an "enhance" option that he noticed during the new setup wizard which is for the Enhanced DVR / Advance Integration. Yet another factor which bares no relevance to your issues.

I can certainly understand from your point of view. Its no trouble at all, so you don't have to apologize. But really, you were led astray by troubleshooting instances which could not affect the channel decryption and tuning process of the cablebox. The worse thing that could happen between the Revue and your set-top box over HDMI is if there were HDCP handshake issues. However, that would not give you intermittent access to channels. HDCP handshake problems will cause the set-top to shut off the video entirely or display error messages over a solid color screen.

17. mooechili

mooechili New Member

TW weak signal problem, thx again!

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No worries, I'm glad their tech was able to get it resolved.