Quantcast

Can't Download >58.08 kB Attachment From Gmail??

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by VizioBitPlayer, Nov 23, 2012.

1. VizioBitPlayer

VizioBitPlayer New Member

When I try to download dropbox_2.2.apk from where I have sent it to my Gmail as an attachment: I get a white screen with a little panel in the bottom "Starting Download", that disappears leaving just the white screen which never closes until I manually close it. Later when I look in the Downloads folder, I find the incomplete file with size 58.08 kB, it's supposed to be >4 MB. Press OK and I get "can't parse" -- well I guess so, as the file is not really there.

I tried this again with an 8-MB mp3, again the file stored in Downloads is exactly 58.08 kB in size.

Any ideas?

2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Try the instructions found here http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...st-way-side-load-apps-your-vizio-co-star.html ..... Everthing you need to make it work is there, including all the software links ....

3. VizioBitPlayer

That's what I'm trying to follow, I'm at this point in your instructions:

"Open the dropbox.apk email, tap on the word "Download" in blue, until you see the message "Download Started" ...

After about 45 to 60 seconds go to the "Download app located in the Apps Screen section" and finish installing the dropbox.apk to your Co-Star"

I wait much longer than 90 seconds. When I try to open the file, I get a message that it can't be parsed. When I view its file size in Downloads or ES File Explorer, I see it's only 58.08 kB.

It seems like the problem is in the Gmail attachment download system -- or how that relates to this Co-Star's OS -- as I have no trouble for example downloading ES File Explorer from the Store. Also the other day when I tried to open Google Drive and it prompted me to update Chrome (not really possible?), I later found two copies of the 39-MB Chrome package for i386 (Wintel platform??) had been downloaded to the Downloads folder.

I'm wondering if there is a setting to change, or I have a defective Co-Star, or what. I am trying so far, against your advice, to run on my 3-to-5 MB/s wi-fi connection, but I don't think that explains this wierd 58-kB download limit from Gmail.

Side note, if I upgrade my wi-fi router/DSL modem to a new N-capable unit, does the Co-Star have type-N wi-fi that would benefit?

I doubt that I'm the first to have this problem. Between you and the other experts here, I think I will soon have a solution or the way to find it.

4. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Oh! I just realized what you said, you got a parse error, that means their is something wrong with the apk connection you are trying to upload, nothing is wrong with your Co-Star ... Go and try to upload it again to your Gmail account or get another copy of your apk from somewhere else and up load it to your Gmail account ....

. The primary cause of a Parse Error is an interruption your network connection."

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. guest

guest Active Member

I see in your post that you use MP3's, or you're trying to use them with your Google TV. Can you do me a favor and give some input on how I might solve an issue I'm having. I described the problem here. http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/logitech-revue/6655-ipod-shuffle-google-tv.html

6. VizioBitPlayer

I think I'm seeing here, a less common form of parse error: The stored apk is 58 kB and it should be about 4 MB. The same thing happened with the 8-MB mp3 I tried to download from a Gmail message: Gmail download only transferred the first 58.08 kB, exactly the same as the apk file. Apparently if the attachment was a 64-kB text, the result would still be 58.08 kB. This 58.08-kB download limit might be a clue.

7. VizioBitPlayer

Well first the good: In my situation, even if I can't save attachments from Gmail, I can get Dropbox to work as follows: Go to www.dropbox.com on the Co-Star, sign in with Remember Me checked, save this site to Bookmarks. (Later rename the bookmark "Home - Dropbox" to "Dropbox".) I find that when I am signed in to this site, the Dropbox folders are right there and I can download files from them, for example that 8-MB mp3 I mentioned above, stepdaughter's voice singing a Patti Smith cover, her mom will be pleased. :) Did not need to install Dropbox app, and if I had installed it, the app would not have been more convenient than the bookmark. I can now side-load my @$$ off and try all of Wisdom's recommendations.

THE BAD:

* When Vizio Tech Support's reps (Americans in the mountain states, to their credit) determine a problem is in Chrome and not the Co-Star, they will patch you through to 888-399-9656 claiming this is "chrome support". DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME, this number brings up a corrupt call center in New Delhi where the rep will try to set up a remote support session on your computer then bill $100s for nothing. One Vizio rep I discussed this with Monday evening, claimed that they google "chrome support" and get this number. I don't think so. Here is the complaint site:

We24Support.com = TOTAL SCAM!!!!! $150 & 7 hours on phone to NOT fix my computer and no refund

Note the OP and the 8th comment are from defrauded people in the States, and comments 1--7 are BS from New Delhi praising the operation.

* In response to my assertion that I should be able to download a 4-MB attachment from Gmail, Vizio reps try to tell me that is not possible, Co-Star does not have "the storage". Pressed with the fact that I have over 200 MB main storage free and almost 1.9 GB SD free, one rep said that this space is "reserved for use by Play Store and apps, you can't just download files from the Internet there." (I proved this wrong, see Good News above.) When asked, where is this written so I can see it, the rep couldn't or wouldn't tell me, I can't remember which. I think it's written in the notes on my calls.

* I tried to download Dropbox For Android app directly from Dropbox. There were two methods, "using Play Store" or "using Chrome", both were blocked by restrictions on the Co-Star. Maybe I should try using the Dropbox functionality I have now, to download the apk and see if it installs, but I probably won't as I don't need to. Anyway I probably found out firsthand, why Wisdom recommends downloading the apk from a Gmail attachment.

* In my opinion, Vizio Co-Star tech support is a miserable waste of time -- hours -- except possibly for granting warranty RMAs (may yet do that just to rule everything out). Sorry to any Vizio insiders who may be reading this, take this to heart, the firmware is part of your product, your support staff needs to be able to cite and provide specific documented "can and can't do's" and documented issue info such as the v3.2 firmware release notes, known bugs and fixes and so forth, this is industry standard type documentation. Don't pretend the firmware support is in a separate organization, Google is a huge bureaucracy now that doesn't talk to individual consumers and ~for God's sake blacklist that 888-399-9656 3rd-party support scam and anything like it!~

I'm glad this forum is here and I will continue to check in for more advice and to see if I can help once in a while.

• Like Like x 2