Quantcast

Can't Customize Controller Keys: "Network Unavailable Error"

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by cabbieBot, Nov 2, 2012.

1. cabbieBot

cabbieBot New Member

$35cusie6.jpg

When I attempt to customize the controller keys, I immediately receive this message.

Revue is on latest firmware, fresh off a factory reset. It is connected via ethernet and wireless. Device works fine otherwise (youtube streams, browser works, can log into google services, download apps, etc)

Ultimately my goal is to set up custom keys so I can change the channels on the television by having it learn the IR commands, but this is a complete roadblock to that.

The best I can do right now is not even use the keyboard controller and instead use the Google TV app on my Android tablet to 'switch input' from HDMI1 to "TV" which will bring it to channel 2.1. But I can't change the channels up to any other channel or back down to HDMI1 (though I can use 'switch input' from the Google TV app to get back to HDMI1).

I don't have a set-top box setup with the revue, as I get my regular TV over-the-air from a digital antenna screwed into the coax connection.

Any ideas?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

3. cabbieBot

cabbieBot New Member

Wow. I did read on a thread here before I posted that the logitech servers go down on the weekend...is that still the case? Can you point me to where I can read about why phoning home to their servers is necessary for functionality that shouldn't require it?

Actually, the thread I read about the servers going down was about being able to advance past the initial setup steps to log into Google (step 7, maybe?) and the servers being offline preventing that. But, I did a factory reset tonight and was able to log into google successfully. Within a half hour I was attempting to customize the controller keys which failed, so it would seem that 1) I coincidentally successfully completed the initial setup, the server went down, which then prevented me from customizing the controller; 2) the servers not being down and another problem entirely; or 3) the servers being intermittent in the type of request it will allow to proceed or not, since all other functionality works on my device. I do wish to understand the rationale for needing to talk to the cloud during basic setup. I'm sure this must have been discussed ad nauseum here if this is an ongoing thing :)

4. CatfishRivers

5. cabbieBot

cabbieBot New Member

That did it. What I did was opened the Twitter app, hit MENU then SIGN OUT. It asked me to confirm that signing out would remove all twitter data from the Google TV and I said OK.

I then went into Settings and was able to customize the controller without a problem, and I was able to assign a custom Emerson (my brand of TV) command to channel UP and DOWN, which is exactly what I wanted.

Whatsmore, after I successfully set the custom controller keys, I went back in, re-logged into twitter, and then tested the channel UP and DOWN keys I had just set. They worked. I then went back into Settings and made a new custom controller setting (I chose MUTE) and it also worked.

So it would appear that you must not be logged into twitter before you make your first custom controller function, but after you do that you are free to log into twitter and still make whatever custom functions you want afterwards. What a nasty little bug!

Thank you very much, CatfishRivers! I linked that thread to this one for sake of posterity.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^
    +1

Customize/ learn the IR commands is part of "harmony components" and it may require connection to maybe a different server.

You've already done FR (that should clear issues) what's left for now is probably to wait & retry after the weekend & hope for the best.:)

Or try this,

Uncheck (disable) "Background data" & "Auto-Sync", reboot Revue then re-check it (re-enable it) back.

or

Remove "Google account" & re-add it

or
    Create a New "Google account"
    or
    Re-Perform a Factory-Reset, this time Create a new

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  7. cabbieBot

cabbieBot New Member

Thanks for the reply, but signing out of Twitter worked !

I am still curious why connection to the server is required, though.

8. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

If you're familiar with Harmony remote control on-line programming, the “harmony components” on revue is similar.

Glade you get it resolved – Cheers :)

9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have fighting this nasty bug now, logging in and out of twitter, rebooting, deleting Google Account, and everything else I have seen suggested has done nothing. I get the same error and can't set up the TV and AV Receiver. I guess I will try again tomorrow.

10. ChrisG8

I have spent hours trying to get past the Network Unavailable error with a Logitech Revue. Deleting Twitter account, deleting Google Account, adding Google Account syncing, unsyncing, resetting to factory default, everything I have seen suggested but nothing gets by that error. Although it actually shows the error in the step to name my Yamaha AVR to control volume, I can use the keyboard for AVR volume and power on and off AVR but can't power the TV on/off. It must be a problem on Logitech's side.

11. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had this happen a while ago. I deleted the device and on the 2nd try it worked.

12. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Give these steps a try (if you haven’t done so),

1. Perform a Factory-Reset,
    2. Stop before the network setup
    3. Reboot Modem & Router,
    4. Continue Revue setup,
    5. (temporarily) Create a new “Google account” (don’t use the old acc for now).
    6. At home screen, wait a while for any auto updates…

7. From “All Apps” select “Twitter app”,
    - Press & Hold [OK] key > select ‘Application info’ > Clear cashe then Clear data then Force stop,
    - Exit (press “back” key),
    - From “All Apps” select “Twitter app”
    - Press & Hold [OK] key > select ‘ Hide Application’ ​

8. Reboot revue.
    9. At home screen, go to “TV&AVR” settings (before any thing else) and try it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ChrisG8

Although I had done these things randomly without success, following your step by step specific order worked, I once again have that Revue controlling, TiVo, TV and AVR. I have got to hand it to you, you come up with some crazy looking solutions that make little sense to me but are always helpful. Thanks.

14. Carlszone

Chris, can you pinpoint which fix actually worked for ya?

15. ChrisG8

No way to tell, I did what revue5 suggested in the order suggested and I was able to set up TV and AVR. TiVo was already set up but had to be set up again. Was it one of those steps, a combination of more than one, all or none? Network unavailable error and I went through those seemingly unrelated steps, sort of like fixing an oven that isn't working by kicking the refrigerator, you don't ask questions you just start cooking.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Carlszone

LOL!

Well put...

17. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Lol! :D

18. tom.walker

tom.walker New Member

Issue: could not remove my TV from controller (controller is term revue uses to represent the keyboard which controls revue, TV, DVR, AVReceiver) and add another TV. Received message: "network unavailable error".
    Solution: Went into system settings / Accounts -- saw I had 2 accounts set up -- my google account and my twitter account. I removed my twitter account and the problem went away.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  19. cabbieBot

cabbieBot New Member

Good lord... It's 2014, I hope no one is still using this device.

20. CatfishRivers

Like any of the other GTV devices are really any better? They're all running the same underlying OS software (except for the LG GTV televisions on Jellybean OS - and those have their own set of issues).

I've been using my Revue for over 3 years now - and I'm glad I didn't waste any money 'upgrading' to any of the second generation GTV devices. IMO all of the second generation GTV devices are on a path to be discontinued soon. Prices have been slashed to clear out remaining inventory.

I'll take a look at the upcoming Hisense Pulse Pro GTV box when it's released (hopefully it doesn't turn into vaporware). Also if Google releases a Nexus TV box I'll take a look at that. The other thing that looks interesting to me is the upcoming Asus Chrome box.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014