Quantcast

Cant control AVR

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by LeeGillie, Jan 24, 2013.

1. LeeGillie

LeeGillie New Member

I've got a Sony HCD FX80 sound system connected to output of TV via optical. I can't get my new NSZ-GS7 to control volume or power the unit off or on. I configured the HCD-FX80 as the AVR device. I've place the IR blaster directly in front of it, and ensured it is fully plugged in. Won't do volume either with or without the function light selected. HELP! BTW - I'm upgrading from a Logitech Revue, and absolutely love the ability for the Sony to play video from my NAS, and not skip a beat on HD from YouTube. Amazing! I suspect the broader standards support plus the faster processor make all the difference.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think one area where the Logitech Revue exceeds the NSZ-GS7 is control of other devices by IR. I don't have the solution for your problem, I am not sure I can get my NSZ-GS7 to handle my needs as far as controlling AVR but I haven't spent much time with it yet, it does control volume just fine but not much else.

3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Can you control the TV w/the external blaster?

To test that,
    - Unplug the external IR blaster.
    - Cover the built-in IR blaster.(& first make sure the ir signal is not reaching the TV).
    - Re-plug the external IR blaster and place it in front of the TV then test it.

If the external IR blaster worked fine. Try to,

Re-configure the Sony HCD-FX80 (as AVR device). But remove it first then reboot GS7 before re-configuring.

You could also, try to select a different Sony AVR from the list (most of them use the same IR codes (e.g., power/volume/input), btw.

Good luck :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  4. LeeGillie

LeeGillie New Member

I appreciate the time you have taken to respond to my question.

I was able to resolve the issue by NOT entering in the MODEL number of the AVR (only Manuf was filled in). Leaving it blank takes you through trial and error, and this eventually found a code that worked perfectly. The take-away is that MANUF/MODEL remote codes database has errors.

Similarly the DVR functions on the cable box were not accessible via the DVR button, etc. even though most of the controls worked. Again, not taking the "smart" setup, but rather, trying the possible codes one by one eventually revealed a perfect match.

5. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

On a positive note, you don’t have to go thru this again.:) Glad you’ve resolved it.