Quantcast

Can't connect USB

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by clspruiell, Apr 1, 2012.

1. clspruiell

clspruiell New Member

I want to play the music files that are stored on my usb drive plugged into the front of my box.. No apps have been able to recognize it. I tried avia and the normal apps that come with the sony blue ray box but no luck.

Ideas?

Thanks!

2. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

My assumption is that the media stick is formatted NTSF. This format is not compatible... only FAT file systems are recognized.

Sent using TapaTalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. clspruiell

clspruiell New Member

How do i know how its formatted? How do I change it? Is this acceptable "FAT" format normal for new usb devices?

Thanks,

4. madman999

madman999 Member

plug the USB stick into a Windows Computer, go to my computer and right click on the stick and go to properties. Under Filesystem should tell you how it;s formatted.

i think the biggest limitation of Fat32 is that you are limited to 32 GB partition size. So I usually don;t use anything more than a 32 GB USB Stick.

FAT is limited to 2 GB.

5. madman999

madman999 Member

another thing, you will most likely need a file manager like File Expert to browse the contents of the USB Stick.

6. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If the stick is formatted with fat32 then your probably trying to play music files that are protected with drm so that may be a problem too. By the way, have you tried uploading the tunes to google music and playing them that way if all else fails? If they have drm then google music wont accept them.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  7. thekylesouza

thekylesouza New Member

I had the same issue. When I reformatted the USB I just used the "reset to default" option.

8. clspruiell

clspruiell New Member

Well that sucks. How am I supposed to get all my vids and pics from a harddrive to play on my GTV? I suppose I could try to hook up an old laptop but figuring that out might take the Geeksquad. Im only "dangerous" with a computer. Im a good user, but not advanced.

Thanks for the input though!

9. madman999

madman999 Member

there seems to be solutions to stream content from another source that seems promising(Plex?). search around this forum.

I have gotten the Pogoplug App and Remote Potato App to run on my but haven;t experimented too much yet since it requires an external video player to play my videos(built in Android one doesn;t seem to recognize streaming content). Might have to buy the GTV Box video player app but just haven;t gotten around to it.

also I think other people seem to have some success with USB attached HD so I wouldn;t give up on that yet. I am going to try a few different USB enclosures and drive capacities. I didn;t know I could plug a USB key until I tried it.

10. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

You can change it by right clicking on it then doing a "format" and specify FAT32. NTFS is a new file system than FAT, and Windows pushes people towards it. FAT however is supported by a good deal more devices (as is the case with GTV). The big limitation with FAT is that it has a 4GB file size limitation, which won't be a problem with audio or picture files, but it will be a problem with video as it isn't uncommon for a video file to be > 4GB.

With that being said, the better option is to simply stream content from your computer to your GTV device. All you need is a computer on your home network and you can stream your pics and vids to your GoogleTV device. You are mentioning that you are trying to get content from your hard drive to a usb drive to the GTV, so I would have to assume you have a computer somewhere in that mix to do the transfer from HD to USB.

The quickest and easier is to simply google "setting up media sharing on {your operating system}"... there are plenty of tutorials available. The basic media player that is on the GTV system works fine.

If you want more features, there are other options, such as installing a dedicated media server on your computer (which isn't difficult), and by installing more robust media players.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  11. thekylesouza

thekylesouza New Member

Picasa on your computer and the Avia app on Google TV works for pics!

12. madman999

madman999 Member

i plugged a NTFS formatted USB Key Drive into my Revue and it was recognized just fine. Browsed 2 MP4 movies and they played through the Logitech Media player. So I don;t think NTFS compatibility is the issue here.

Is your drive being recognized as being plugged in? you should get a message in the Notification widget that says the drive was connected and the contents were synched.

also, what format are the music files? MP3? AAC?

13. clspruiell

clspruiell New Member

I know these softwares have been tossed around on here but I cannot seem to get avia to work or recognize my devices.

I'm waiting on a google chrome app that will push webpages, vids, audio, and pics to my tv. Kinda like Chrome 2 Phone for your android phone.

14. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

You don't need to wait for a chrome app to push the webpages to your tv as plex does that already like madman999 mentioned. Basically you install plex server on the computer that has your music and picturs and videos and tell the server where to find it all and then install the plex app for google tv on your google tv device.

The above may or may not work depending on whether or not the files are supported on the google tv - there is a whole thread dedicated to what google tv wil play, etc
    and it depends if the files you want to play have or use some sort of DRM scheme to protect them from playback with other players.