Quantcast

Can't access Youtube via google chrome anymore

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by NSBFL, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Rick44

Rick44 Member

I have the google tv. Not the box, the tv with the software in it. I'm talking through the browser, not te app. My clearing was not the reset. I mean the ctl alt del reset .

It's just a black screen that stays that way. Sometimes I'll get this screen when I first open the video, maybfor a few secons while you see that spinning circle in the middle, but than the video starts.

Here, you don't even see the spinning circle. Nothing, just the black screen. And I've tried for a minute or two with different videos.To be clear, the svreen is not the site itself. I can see all the videos listed fine. It's when I click on one to play it. It's just a black screen.
    Just where the video plays part. I can see around that. I can see the comments below. The video screen is juat black though.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Try force stop & clearing data from the Chrome app. (You will lose your bookmarks unless they're synced to your GTV account). If that doesn't work then you will need to do the full factory reset.

3. Rick44

Rick44 Member

You've told me before, but I forgot. How do I sync my bookmarks with my gtv account?

4. CatfishRivers

Please try doing a search.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  5. Rick44

Rick44 Member

I found something you posted in another thread. This.

**"We actually have two Bookmark screens. If your account is properly synced you should see a bookmark screen that has an "Other Bookmarks" folder. Many will remember that when we first logged on this is the Bookmark screen we saw. But w/Factory resets and upgrades, this screen reverted back to the unsynced bookmark page. Remember, the Logitech Revue bookmarks are not saved to Google Bookmarks.

From Chrome>Settings>Google Chrome Sync>checkmark (Sync browser bookmarks w/your Google Acct)>Google Account (Select an Account to sync)>Choose Acct.

The obvious missing link has been clicking on each acct you want to sync.

Now you will see the screen that has the Other folder. You can now save sites to this page. Just go to sites and add yer bookmarks as you normally would. The other folder you can use for sites that you want separate from the main folder. For example I use it for Movies and Videos.

Now, you can also go back and forth from the synced bookmark page to the unsynced w/out loosing any of the synced sites. This is great for retrieving saved Favs and adding them to the synced page. Just remember to repeat the steps in settings.

So to recap: we have two Bookmark pages. One we will only see if the account is properly synced."**

Here is what I did. I went into settings, in chrome, and put the checkmark in the box that says sync bookmarks with your google acct. I only have the one google acct and clicked on that to sync it.

Okay, now when I go into bookmarks I see that other bookmarks folder that I never saw before. If I click on it it says no bookmarks. But here is the thing, all my other bookmarks are gone. Maybe 40 of them. I don't still have those 40 and then syncing added the other bookmarks folder. The 40 are gone.

I still have the same options on the far left of the screen that were always there. Bookmarks, add bookmark and back. Now, I got my bookmarks back simply by removing the checkmark in the chrome settings. My regular bookmarks reappeared and the other bookmarks folder disappeared.

The instructions you posted mention 2 bookmarks screens. I only see the one.
    And it's either got all my regular bookmarks or just the single other bookmarks folder based on whether that box is checked in chrome. Clearly I am doing something wrong. Any idea what it is?

6. CatfishRivers

The screen that you see when the box is checked (and then you click on your account where it says "Google Account" in the Chrome settings) should be the screen with the single other bookmarks folder. This is the screen for your synced bookmarks.

Now you must add all the bookmarks that you want synced to that synced bookmarks page.

Then after you do a factory reset check the box, click on your account and all of your synced bookmarks will appear. The other un-synced bookmarks page gets wiped when you do a factory reset. (That is the bookmarks page that currently has all your bookmarks).

So in summary: check the box, click your account and then you see the synced bookmarks page with the single folder. Now you must add all of your bookmarks to that synced page. Just add the bookmarks there one by one in the usual manner. Then you'll be good to go.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  7. Rick44

Rick44 Member

You see, I thought there was a way to sync my already saved bookmarks. Seems to me that either way I am going to have to go to the site and save it as a bookmark. That would be easy enough if I could go to them through the bookmarks I already have saved. But they disappear when I check the box and sync my google account.

If I did nothing syncwise, just cleared chrome or did the factory reset, I'll be going basically the same thing. Saving the bookmarks from scratch. The difference is, if i sync first, I won't have to do it the next time a do a factory reset.

I was thinking the sync would work with all my bookmarks that I have had saved all along.

8. CatfishRivers

No you have to add them to the synced bookmark page. But the advantage is that you only need to that once. So in the future every time you do a factory reset you can check the box and get all of your synced bookmarks back. Unfortunately I think the only way that you can fix your black video screen issue on youTube is by doing the full factory reset.

9. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Oh, I don't deny the advantage going foward. Once they are synced, I can no do complete resets knowing that the bookmarks will be there. I was just hoping I could sync the already saved ones.

You don't think the chrome clear will do the trick? With the factory reset, I have to redo a lot of picture settings as well. I'll try the chrome clear first. If that doesn't work I'll have to do the factory reset. I do not like the app. I want youtube through chrome. Especially since they fixed the aw snap glitch.

10. CatfishRivers

Yeah before you do the full factory reset - try going to your system settings an then force stop and clear data from the Chrome app. (That will erase your bookmarks that aren't synced - but it's still less tedious than doing the full factory reset. So it's worth a try).

11. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Well, it lasted about a week or two. Then youtube same problem. I'm thinking it might have to do with dailymotion. I've been playing a video there virtually every day and it seems that it doesn't work real well with google tv. Sometimes the ads play over the video instead of interrupting the video. You get the crash message a bunch.

Didn't there used to be a google tv app for dailymotion? I see none in the google store now. I rarely went there until the last couple months and that one person's video upload. But I vaguely recall there being an app for it when I first got my tv.
    For one video, I wouldn't mind using an app. It's not youtube where I might be searching for an hour.

Here is why I'm really posting, though. Catfish, I remember you telling me about chromebox and chromebook last year. I got the Samsung chromebox but never used it until a wek or two back when I finally set it up with my tv.

My problem. There is no sound. I have I think it's called a dvi to hdmi converter setup. dvi out of the chromebox into an hdmi port in the tv. I did some searching on the net with this question. A google groups thread said to make sure the output for addio was set to hdmi. When I checked on my chromebox I had to options. One was internal speaker. Two listed my tv with hdmi in parenthesis.
    I've tried both options. There is no audio with either. I mean on video sites like youtube and dailymotion. Any idea what the problem is?

I don't like the navigation either. There was no keyboard or controller supplied with the chromebox. I got a mini controller/ketboard and a logitech wireless keyboard. Both also have a touchpad. The mouse is slow. A lot slower than the one on my google tv remote.

Also, the display. I increased the display like I did with the tv. 300% instead of 298% wgich is the max on the tv. That works fine in the google search page and with the results. But things like the drop down menu for settings and the other functions stays small. The bookmarks are listed but in small print.
    The desktop I expexted to stay small unless I changed the screen resolution, but once I was in google chrome I expected everything in there would display bigger.

I suppose I could live with that. Audio for videos, though, I need. Can you help me with that? Thanks.

12. Rick44

Rick44 Member

I did some more searching around. Specifically in Amazon where I ordered the converter cable. I see now that it says that it doesn't transfer audio, just video.
    A separate audio cable would be required. This is at conflict with what I read in that google groups thread, but whatver. How would I install that? I don't get it with the no audio. Why would I want to use my tv as a computer monitor with no audio? I just assumed the hdmi connection would be like my blu ray player or dvd/vcr which are connected by hdmi. They've got video and audio.