Quantcast

Can't access Youtube via google chrome anymore

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by NSBFL, Jun 13, 2013.

1. retroben

retroben Active Member

I got the "aw snap" error on the game grumps channel.

I am using the default user agent.

The real question is,are you doing it correctly?

Make sure to put only "youtube.com" in the text field,and hit enter to save the site into the plugin exception list.
    Then change "Allow" to "Block" and its done.
    Do not forget to clear cache and history.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Retroben I get the Aw Snap! error before and after your fix if I go to the "Smosh" channel - and if I do a YouTube search for "BeachBoys" (no quotation marks in search). I'm on the Logitech Revue. Do those 2 things work for you after you apply your fix?

To make sure your fix isn't due to a placebo effect - can you please list 2 links from YouTube that don't work before your fix - but then work after your fix?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  3. retroben

retroben Active Member

Since you are using the very first Google TV (Logitech Revue with a low-end Intel chip),your results will likely be sufferably different.

I tried both the smosh channel,and the EXACT "BeachBoys" search.
    Both of them "aw snap" on my GS7 with the so called fix.

I guess it just makes YouTube work better since it no longer crashes on quite as many pages.

My "fix" seems to just make the YouTube homepage,more searches,and not all,but some channels work.
    It also makes pages on YouTube load instantly (no flash burden).

At least my discovery somewhat helps,even if it only helps a little bit.

And the only reasons Flash on GTV sucks is because of it and the browser
    being severely outdated and the lack of offline support.
    If they got the latest Linux versions of Chrome and Flash,and ported them
    to GTV's Android,it would probably run flawlessly.
    The only other issue with GTV performance is general 1080P lag.

4. CatfishRivers

To make sure your fix isn't due to a placebo effect - can you please list 2 links from YouTube that don't work before your fix - but then work after your fix? Thanks... If you can do so and I can confirm on my Revue then I will believe that your fix helps. If you can't supply the specific links that I'm asking for - then I'm sorry but I doubt that your "fix" improves anything. Thanks for trying though.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Aha!!!

There is a step that was missing. It was the cookies. Retroben, you must not have any conflicting cookies for Youtube. I had 8 and 1 local most likely for the App? Once I cleared cookies I was able to get on the page & play a video. Now I'm going to see if the problem is cookie related by removing your fix and trying again. Also, I want to test Catfish's user string to see if that has any ill effects.

6. CatfishRivers

To make sure the fix isn't due to a placebo effect - can you please list 2 links from YouTube that don't work before the fix - but then work after the fix? If it's a link to a video, YouTube search result, or YouTube channel page that link can be posted here so users can verify if this really works. .

Please post the links in this thread - or else this "fix" is akin to a bigfoot sighting ---;)

I've tried this so-called fix numerous times on my Revue - and I haven't found one instance of a YouTube link that didn't work before the fix suddenly working after the fix. Saying it "seems better" is nothing more than pure placebo.

7. CatfishRivers

I'm listing 2 specific YouTube videos to demonstrate that the YouTube "Feather" beta works with GTV. (Some channel pages and search results will still trigger the Aw Snap! message - but every video played from YouTube works with the Feather beta. Also once you are opted in to the Feather beta all links to YouTube videos will work - and they play on the special Feather YouTube page. So for example if you do a regular Google search for a YouTube video and then click on the search result link - the video will play every time - provided that you are opted into the YouTube "Feather" beta program).

(Triggers Aw Snap! message if played on YouTube - but works with YouTube Feather):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Triggers Aw Snap! message if played on YouTube - but works with YouTube Feather):

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  8. Carlszone

Cool Catfish!

I tested the blocked exceptions feature for Youtube and it worked for one or two videos. Than it reverted back to the old Aw Snaps. I tried it by blocking cookies, unblocking em, w/all three user agents all w/the same results. The initial video would play but then the search feature would cause the error msg. After that I couldn't even get on the page. I also tried it by not signing in. I'm going to try the "Feather" Beta.

9. CatfishRivers

Carl just to be clear - unfortunately the YouTube search feature and YouTube channel web pages don't appear to be part of the YouTube "Feather" beta program. But every YouTube page from where the selected video plays is part of the Feather beta. So all videos play.

I had a problem with my playlists when clicking the link on the left of the YouTube page for playlists (triggered the Aw Snap! error). But when I used the link from the top of the YouTube page (clicking the icon on top) displays playlists & other features in a row on top. From there I can click for my playlists and every single video in my playlists worked (when I was opted into the Feather beta). Without the Feather beta - many videos in my playlists triggered the Aw Snap! message.

And as I mentioned if you also do a regular Google search for YouTube videos - you can click on the search result link and the videos will play great from the YouTube Feather page.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Carlszone

Thanks Catfish. Although I view most of my content on the app, via Soul Movie or from my PC, I hate not being able to do something. Especially when it is a webpage owned by Google. So far it's working for me. I got kinda worried because I couldn't even get on the site until I cleared a few cookies & rebooted.

11. khh

khh New Member

Here's something you all might try => bing. com/videos/browse (You'll have to remove the space. I can't create a link because I've not made 10 posts on this forum.)

It's worked pretty well for me so far on an NSZ GT1 Sony Blu Ray.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  12. retroben

retroben Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  13. CatfishRivers

Hi retroben. Thanks for finding that. It works good on my Logitech Revue. All of my playlists transferred over to the PS3 YouTube just fine.

14. Rick44

Rick44 Member

First off, great fix. I was able to view playlists. search by different criteria. all the videos played. today, doesn't work. I have nothing to click to play the video.
    One differnce between 5this ps3 youtube and the regular. on you tube you click on the desired video and it plays. with the ps3 version, you click on it it's sort of a freeze frame of the video where you click on a play link in the middle of the screen. then underneath that video are a bunch of related videos.
    today, when i tried, the stuff underneath, all the related videos, are still there, but the one I'm trying to play isn't. It's a dark area with nothing there. the freeze frame with the clickable play is not there. I've tried it for awhile with different pages I had saved. I've cleared my search history. I've reset my tv. I'm using the sony internet tv.

Anyone have any ideas what's up?

Edit. I got it to work again. I tried a couple of other things like clearing my adobe storage settings. Not sure what fixed it but it works again. Again, a huge thank you to whoever found this. Looks like retroben.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  15. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Got another problem. Starting to get some videos that say embedding disabled by user. And if I try the watch on youtube link in the video I get the reload message that is the reason I'm using the ps3 version in the first place. Any solutions for this? I tried clearing my browser history and it didn't work.

16. CatfishRivers

Try playing the video in the GTV YouTube app or try playing it on YouTube repeater with the web browser.

*See retroben's post #23 for instructions on how to convert the YouTube video URL for playback on the YouTube Repeater web site.

Also you can try entering the "YouTube Feather beta" program to increase your chances that the video will work on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/feather_beta

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  17. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Thanks. 2 other questions although they are not related to youtube. How do I delete my downloads? I know how to get to them. I go into apps and click on downloads. And each has a box next to it that I can check but I see no delete option. What am I missing? The second question. I downloaded several videos from something called sendspace. I was told you need some media player to see them. Something like vlc. When I typed vlc in google store one of the options was something called android media player. I downloaded it, but I can't play the files. Any suggestions? Thanks.

18. CatfishRivers

I noticed that the YouTube web site seems to be working pretty good now with the Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue. I'm not really getting the Aw Snap! messages any more. I also tried searching on YouTube with some phrases that always used to trigger the Aw Snap! message - and now they no longer trigger the Aw Snap! message.

IMO this is due to things 1) The YouTube web site was recently re-designed. 2) Google has started using WebP technology on YouTube thumbnails - which is cutting down on the number of bytes received by the browser.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...google-wants-speed-up-web-one-image-time.html

19. Rick44

Rick44 Member

I can't play any videos at all though chrome. All I get is the black screen, the video doesn't seem to load. just noticed it today although it's been a bit since I tried last. Maybe close to a week. Before then it had been fine.

I tried resetting the tv, clearing browser data, clearing the adobe flash player settings. Nothing has worked. Is this just me or are other people having the same issue?

20. CatfishRivers

Are you talking about with the Chrome browser on your GTV? YouTube is working with Chrome on my Logitech Revue. Although in the past week there have been some issues with the videos freezing. IMO that is due to Google's servers. Try clearing browser cache and reloading the page if the video doesn't start. By resetting do you mean that you did a factory reset - or just a reboot?