Quantcast

Can't access Youtube via google chrome anymore

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by NSBFL, Jun 13, 2013.

1. retroben

retroben Active Member

Has anyone tried Soul Movie yet?

It has amazing audio quality playback in videos.
    It even restores your last search results from the last time you ran the app.

Remember,you can get it directly from searching the play store app on GTV devices.

2. khh

khh New Member

I use the regular Google search engine to find You Tube videos. Say you want to look for videos on the recent tornadoes in Oklahoma. Put the following in the search box => site:youtube.com tornadoes oklahoma

You can also customize the time frame by using advanced google search. The videos play when I access them via the links returned on google. I have the NSZ GT1 Sony Blu Ray.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  3. retroben

retroben Active Member

I have to say the following:Soul Movie has dropped support for gtv devices,the app creator is making a seperate gtv app according to the changelog of the version that removes gtv support.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

On my Logitech revue I still get the Aw Snap! message very often when clicking links from Google Video searches (the links are for YouTube videos).

5. CatfishRivers

It's looking like after the GTV Jellybean update - the only way to access YouTube on GTV devices will be through the YouTube app and perhaps the mobile version of the YouTube web site. The full desktop version of the YouTube web site doesn't appear likely to be supported on GTV devices after the Jellybean update. See the following thread for details:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...google-releases-chrome-29-beta.html#post52810

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  6. astraclub

astraclub New Member

I am the first one in state when GTV was launched and I bought on the day of launching after standing in line,
    Sony 46 inch
    After seeing Yotube "awesnap" error lately more frequent, I am frustrated and just want to ask Google one question
    Why should i work around with different options, it should be simple and worth playing all,.

I hope Google fix it quick and simple

Rgds
    AC

7. CatfishRivers

I hear you bro. IMO I'm not expecting any quick fix from Google - probably none at all. YouTube is a different department than GTV - and they (YouTube) made some design changes that work with a more up-to-date browser and other devices with more computing power. The unfortunate reality is that GTV is a very small amount of the overall users that utilize the YouTube web site. So this is not high on Google's priority list. Obviously the different divisions and departments inside Google are not well coordinated - and GTV is left as the neglected ugly-duckling.

With the Jellybean update Flash will be removed from the GTV browser. So even second generation GTV devices will probably be forced to use the GTV YouTube app. Later this year YouTube is transitioning to their new HTML5 codec called VP9 - and it's unknown if the GTV devices will be able to utilize VP9.

First generation GTV devices won't receive the Jellybean update - so VP9 for sure won't work with the first generation GTV devices.

There is currently an HTML5 Beta program on YouTube - and that kind of works with the GTV Chrome browser. But it's in beta for a reason - it's still kind of buggy. And clicking on HTML5 videos on YouTube currently still triggers the Aw Snap! message.

And don't even get me started with what Google did with Gmail for GTV devices.......

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  8. retroben

retroben Active Member

I just found another workaround.

All you have to do is replace the "/watch?v=" with "/v/" and it will load the stand-alone video in fullscreen and skip the annoying ads.

Here is an example...

LOL FAILZ

the links auto-embedded,I had to put exa and >exa on them.

This link below crashes for me.

exahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx6eaVeYXOs>exa

I changed it to...

exahttp://www.youtube.com/v/Cx6eaVeYXOs>exa

and it worked.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  9. CatfishRivers

Thanks for the tip retroben. I tried it and it worked. The only time I had a problem with it was when I tried to play a certain music video - and I got a message that the video contained licensed content and was restricted on certain sites - and it told me to watch it on YouTube. But it works for most videos.

10. khh

khh New Member

It has worked great so far! Thanks!

11. Meengla

Meengla New Member

[Cross post from: another thread in this forum, in case someone can help. TIA].

I have similar problems in my Logitech Revue: In the Chrome browser's youtube.com site search for 'Carlos Nakai'; You will probably see the 'Aw snap' error. But if you search for 'Carlos Santana' then no error. This has been consistent across the 3 Revue devices we have in our house. I thought it maybe that the Revue is obsolete. So last night I tried Sony Google TV at a friend's house but the same problem. Sometimes I can't even see my Playlists in the Chrome browser and hence made my 'History' page as the home page so that I can at least go to YouTube.com site. I was thinking of buying the Sony's device but no more.

This is quite a serious problem and Google is shamefully quiet on this. The You Tube 'app' on Google TV doesn't play all the videos. I had a list of almost 200 in one of my playlist and all played fine on my Windows 7 laptop's web browsers. But in the You Tube app I found at least 20 videos which didn't play because of various reasons: Not Supported on Mobile, Not Available in Your Country, Not Available on TV. And also doing some Searches in the App doesn't even bring up videos in results which would show up in the browser on my laptop.

The You Tube app on Google TV is not good enough for me! If I wanted crippled experiences I'd go for Apple's eco system. The support for Flash in Google Chrome is very helpful.

12. retroben

retroben Active Member

I feel stupid for not noticing this myself:I found out that version 1.7.2 of the YouTube app has the playlist during the video after I pressed d-pad down twice.

Now I can jump to any part of the playlist after starting part one.

My two hatreds of the YouTube app are the lack of descriptions and comments,and the pathetically slow response time when backing out of a video (I never have crash problems).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  13. CatfishRivers

Beginning yesterday the YouTube web site has become totally unusable with the Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue. As soon as I go to YouTube.com I immediately encounter the "Aw Snap!" message. It's still like that today also. Previously (for the last few months) at least I could go to the YouTube web site with GTV Chrome browser on my Revue and some of the videos worked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 11/03/2013 - I am able to access the YouTube homepage again with the Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  14. retroben

retroben Active Member

You can still access YouTube videos through Google searches.
    The aw snap is probably caused by the music awards changing the homepage data.
    I recommend using the address box/omnibox for better stability when searching for YouTube videos.
    You can also use youtube repeater.

*clicks into youtube repeater's search bar.*

FKING YouTube REPEATER HAS FKING NEW WINDOW ADS NOW!

It made me lose this tab and I had to click the restore button for this not yet posted reply.

P.S.

in general...

F*** THE NEW AUTO-QUALITY YOUTUBE ENGINE!!!

I keep on getting freeze ups during videos from it trying to change the quality without my consent.
    Where in the F*** did the circling dots go?!
    Why do playlists no longer work correctly?!
    There needs to be a save-able setting to disable automatic quality entirely.

Sorry,that escalated to me ranting about how much the YouTube site sucks now.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  15. CatfishRivers

I have found that by using the YouTube "Feather" beta program the videos I tested all played on my Logitech Revue (with Chrome browser). However some of the YouTube searches still don't work. The Feather version has the videos playing from a scaled down low-latency web page. It works better on my Revue because it doesn't tax the limited resources (hardware) as much as the regular full YouTube web page. The trade-off is that there are no comments and not as many recommended videos on the side. If you want to try the YouTube Feather beta program here is the link (you can opt out at any time if you don't like it):

YouTube

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the YouTube "Feather" beta web page:

"Feather" Beta

This is an opt-in beta for "Feather" support on YouTube. The "Feather" project is intended to serve YouTube video watch pages with the lowest latency possible. It achieves this by severely limiting the features available to the viewer and making use of advanced web techniques for reducing the total amount of bytes downloaded by the browser. It is a work in progress and may not work for all videos.

Your comments will help us improve and perfect the mixtures we're working on. So jump in, play around, and send your feedback directly to the brains behind the scenes.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  16. retroben

retroben Active Member

I found a way to get YouTube to load with almost no "aw snap" errors.
    Some video pages still get the error.

Go to Advanced Settings/Under the Hood/Content Settings.../Plug-ins and click "Manage Exceptions..."
    and type "youtube.com" without quotations as a new exception.
    Then you set action to block and press enter after clicking into the text bar to add YouTube as a blocked exception.

Now YouTube can still play videos and will much less likely get the dreadful "aw snap" error.
    Additionally opt in to the "HTML5 Video" for good measure.
    Even though many parts are unsupported,it still works just fine,at least on my GS7.

Here is the immediate page for enabling HTML5 Videos.

YouTube

17. CatfishRivers

I have found that using the YouTube HTML5 beta doesn't eliminate the Aw Snap! errors. However using the YouTube "Feather" beta the videos play every time. However the Feather beta doesn't have comments and has fewer recommended videos.

The Feather beta page is the page the actual video plays on. This works 100% - however searching YouTube is not a page that the video plays on - thus searches still ocassionally encounter the Aw Snap! error.

I also discovered that once I entered the YouTube Feather beta program - I can also do a regular Google search for YouTube videos - and when I click on the link for a YouTube video from those Google search results the video plays from the Feather YouTube page (and works every time). In fact any link for a YouTube video plays on the Feather YouTube page (as long as I remain in the Feather beta program).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Retroben I tested your fix with a YouTube search term that always triggers the Aw Snap! message on my Logitech Revue. After applying your fix I still got the Aw Snap! message.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  18. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

That fix didn't work for me either. I do notice that when I click on a video link in a news article I am able to go to the specific video and copy the URL w/the share feature and play it elsewhere. This comes in handy for posting links but isn't of much use for anything else. I've been using the Soul Movie app for viewing content blocked to my GS-7 after finding most of my Favorites in the youtube app blocked by country or TV content.

19. retroben

retroben Active Member

Strange,since it is working so well for me.

I have not encountered a single error yet after blocking plugins and enabling html5.

I do not have Feather enabled.
    With blocked on youtube.com and HTML5 enabled,try disabling Feather and go to YouTube again.
    If you still have trouble,try clearing history and cache,exit chrome,and turn off your device.
    When you turn it back on,try visiting YouTube again.

I still find it very strange that I had absolutely no trouble with this,I loaded the main page,a channel page,a channel's video list page,a few searches,and every video so far.
    All of that without ever seeing the "aw snap" error,I must be extremely lucky.

I wish it worked as well for everyone else as it does for me.

Edit:I also deleted all of my flash player visited sites data.

Here is the direct link from advanced settings for doing this.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

If you know what youtube is called in the list,you can
    just delete that one by clicking "Delete Website" after selecting it.
    Otherwise,just click "Delete All Sites" and set the storage size to none
    if you don't have any important flash data saved up.

I have YouTube video pages loading extremely instantly.
    Its so fast that it loads the instant I click on the link.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  20. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Can I ask ya, what user string are you using? Or are you set to Default? Retroben, my post was not meant to discourage you. Only to fine-tune yer much needed work-around. The best work-around troubleshooting steps are for the discoverer to redo all the steps taken to achieve the result that should apply universally to the majority of GTV users, of course, limited to those devices on a differing upgrade.

I know you can go back to the starting point of yer work-around w/out losing the connectivity w/Youtube that you described. I've done it many times when trying to find out what exactly allowed me to do something others found could not be done. But until you test it out fully, others cannot enjoy your success. So, while not denying your post, I still think there is an element missing...

Thank you

Carl

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013