Quantcast

Can't access ESPN3

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by ephailey, Sep 22, 2012.

1. ephailey

ephailey New Member

I bought the Sony device specifically to get ESPN3. Most TV boxes are not compatible. The consensus was that this device was compatible. I can watch videos on ESPN but not ESPN3 streaming. Everywhere I check on Google, some say they can access some say they struggle. I called ESPN and they said they do not officially support any TV box. Not sure why that would be in this day and age. Anybody have any suggestions. Not sure why some can access and some can not.
    BTW, I DO have Comcast, so my problems are not subscription related. I just click on the streaming links and nothing happens. Thanks!!!

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I don't have the Sony NSZ-ZS7 box but I was just able to watch the live PGA golf event on ESPN3 with my Logitech Revue. I also have Comcast as my internet provider.

I tried watching several of the live college football games but I got an onscreen message that those games were subject to blackout in my area.

I have a couple of suggestions to try. First is related to a specific setting in the Adobe Flash Player settings. I had posted this on another thread:

"1) I went to my Chrome settings - then Advance Settings - then Under The Hood - then Adobe Flash Storage Settings. From within the Adobe Flash Settings I went to Global Flash Storage Settings and unchecked the box that says "Store Common Flash Components To Reduce Download Times".

Several web sites that I go to wouldn't play the Flash Videos due to the way that the site interacts with the GTV Flash plug-in. Either I would get an error message or a spinning circle and the videos would never load. After I unchecked the box in my Flash settings (as I mentioned above) - all of the videos played good. I did some comparisons and I didn't notice videos or web pages loading any slower with that box unchecked - so I prefer to keep mine unchecked. Here's a link to an article that mentions this situation with Flash - and the article recommends the same solution (in step #5)

Facebook "

Also if that doesn't fix it then:

2) I would try factory resetting your router

3) Try factory resetting your Sony GTV box

Good Luck!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

When I had Comcast and would access ESPN3 with Google TV, a message in the upper right hand corner, Powered by Comcast was shown. Do you see this indication? I watched the PGA Tour Championship Thursday and Friday using Google TV with ESPN3 so Google TV can definitely access ESPN3. I am now using AT&T rather than Comcast and the indication in the upper right is powered by AT&T. I don't know for a fact that Comcast is offering ESPN3 everywhere, although since I could use it here in Little Rock, I would think that should be the case.

4. ChrisG8

As far as ESPN's claim that no boxes have official support, I know the XBox 360 has an app for that purpose, I would assume developed with ESPN assistance or approval.

5. CatfishRivers

OK this was strange. ESPN3 was working fine for me earlier today - however just now I tried it again and it wasn't working. Whenever I tried to click for a video I got an "Error 2032" notice on screen - or else just a black screen.

I was able to solve the problem by rebooting my Logitech Revue - (by pressing Alt + Ctrl +DEL simultaneously on my keyboard). After I rebooted and came back to the ESPN3 site everything was working fine. I suspect there is an issue with the way ESPN3 is handling the cookies - and it effects the Flash stream. So I suggest either rebooting or clear your cookies and try it again.

6. ephailey

ephailey New Member

Thanks for the detail. I did change this setting and at first could still not access. Then, it started working all of a sudden. I then went to another site to check the access and when I came back I could not access ESPN3 anymore. Your "fix" seems to have helped but still have not been able to access but that one time. BTW, the Facebook link did not work. I think I'm getting closer but not there yet. Thanks much!!

7. ephailey

ephailey New Member

Yes, my screen says powered by Xfinity (which is Comcast). Still can't access.

8. CatfishRivers

Have you tried clearing your cookies?

9. ChrisG8

ESPN3 is very slow to load, are you sure you are waiting long enough? I always access it using last year's BBVA Compass Bowl, this link is boomarked on my home page, I just click on it and wait, I haven't timed it but it may take a minute to load.

Streaming Online - WatchESPN

After it loads, I immediately select which ESPN3 event I want to watch, usually whatever is live. There are other WatchESPN programs streaming I can't watch since I don't have a paid ESPN subscription, I get a message stating I can't access those.

10. ephailey

ephailey New Member

I'm not sure why some of these things matter, but after changing the Flash setting, clearing the cookies and waiting, I now seem to be able to access ESPN3. Hope I can access now regularly. Thanks, guys!!

11. sachadon

sachadon New Member

I think in general there was some problem in ESPN3 on Saturday morning (US eastern time). I tried with my Sony NSZ-GS7 and did not work. I tried it on my computer and it did not work. But later that day it started working fine. Even yesterday and today it was working fine.

I was pretty impressed by Sony NSZ-GS7. Since it does not have internal cooling fan I was worried it will get hot and will stop working (shockwave flash uses lot of CPU and heats up pretty fast). But I have been watching games for 4-5 hrs straight and no problem.

12. ephailey

ephailey New Member

Not sure why this is such an adventure to access ESPN3. I am the original poster. All the suggestions seemed to help and I accessed ESPN3 streaming video for a couple of events. Now I again can not access even after the flash setting change, clearing cookies, logging in Comcast, etc. I click an event and nothing happens. Any other thoughts???

13. ChrisG8

How long are you waiting? It may be a problem on ESPN's side, I know it takes a while, sometimes longer than others and nothing has changed on my side but I can always access what I want to watch if I am patient enough.

14. CatfishRivers

Try rebooting by pressing Alt + Ctrl + DEL (simultaneously).

15. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Ctrl+Shift+Del on the Sony... (no Alt key)

• Like Like x 2
  16. ephailey

ephailey New Member

I'm waiting a long time. 15 minutes maybe. Nothing. I will try the reboot as another poster suggested. Thanks.