Quantcast

Cannot get surround sound to work. Very angry. Want to smash google tv!

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by rickrude, Aug 30, 2011.

1. rickrude

rickrude New Member

I'm using the hdmi set up outlined in method one of the quick setup guide.

I have a SONY Bravia TV

Verizon Fios cable box

SONY STR-DH520 Multi Channel AV Receiver

I ran everything together as outlined in the instructions. The sound is only coming out of my two fronts, despite the sound field on the receiver being turned to surround sound. Why is this? I'm quite angry.

2. rickrude

rickrude New Member

Tried to use method two and the optical cable instead... Now the tv signal is cutting in and out of the set up TV service portion of the set up. This thing is crap. It is going back tomorrow. Apple TV is much better despite its low resolution.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but the Sony Bravia TVs are based on the Yahoo Connected TV platform. Conversely, the Google TV line of Sony televisions are called Sony Internet TV and they are only available in four models: NSX-24GT1, NSX-32GT1, NSX-40GT1, and NSX-46GT1.

If you happen to have a Sony Internet TV then make sure the HDMI cable that you are using between the AV Receiver and the television is Audio Return Channel (ARC) compatible and that it is plugged into HDMI 1 of the television. This is recommend HDMI connection path for this connection:

Recommended: Verizon FIOS cable box > Sony STR-DH520 > Sony Internet TV

Otherwise, if you don't know whether or not your HDMI cable is capable of handling ARC then here are the alternative connections.

Alternate 1: Verizon FIOS cable box > Sony STR-DH520 > Sony Internet TV > Optical Cable to Sony STR-DH520

Alternate 2: Verizon FIOS cable box > Sony Internet TV > Optical Cable to Sony STR-DH520

• Like Like x 2
  4. hellomeitis

hellomeitis New Member

Hello everyone,

I have Sony BDV E570 home theater system and bought Sony Google TV 46 inch. Could you please help in knowing if the internet services like youtube, hbo go or pandora capable of providing surround sound. I chatted with Sony Rep for an hour and his conclusion was to wait for the firmware update as internet services doesn't give surround sound..that is kinda bummer, not able to watch movies through netflix, hbo go with proper sound..

Please help if you can or know the settings..right now, I've HDMI ver 1.4 connecting TV and home theater and also optical cable from TV to home theater..

Thanks for your help.

5. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

You are crazy. Apple TV is for people who don't have a clue.. you don't like your Google TV device i'll take it.!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

6. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

You're right, Apple TV is for people who don't have a clue. No clue at all of what it is like to have promised software release after promised software release delayed. No clue at all about how difficult it can be to stream their local media to their TV. Absolutely no clue at all that MLB TV and NBA TV aren't available on all streaming boxes. No clue how hard it can be to rent a movie to watch with other streaming boxes. No clue that the iTunes video Podcast list isn't available to most other players.

I really like my Google TV, but until it offers the content availability of my Roku or Apple TV boxes it isn't any more than a glorified Netflix and HBO Go streamer. Actual apps that will save login info and provide features beyond a website would goca long way.

Until then I'll continue to use my Roku and Apple TV to do what my Google TV can't.

No clue indeed.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

7. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

That is your choice.. I too have had multiple roku boxes and apple TV's (1st Gen, 2nd Gen) its just too under powered, but I refuse to pay a company who's business practices are questionable (Netflix, Hulu). So those boxes are useless for me. To each his/her own.. I have no issues with my 3 Google TV sets that are deal breakers, they access my 2 promise NAS's and all my media so I can't complain. I can control my ps3, apple TV 2nd Gen, MacMinis and surround sound systems all from the Google TV remotes..

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  8. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

So you don't have a clue either. That's good to know.

I would also argue with the notion that either the Roku or Apple TV is underpowered. They both do exactly what they were intended to do and they do it very well. They may not suit your needs well, but when I need a streaming media player I look at Roku first and Apple TV second.

I also wouldn't dream of using the Revue keyboard as my universal remote. The Harmony is much better suited for the task.

9. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

I have many clues... I dont have a revue I have the sony Google TV units (as stated in my post) so the remote is not the revues keyboard.. And yes those boxes do what they were intended to do.. to have the user pay for low res DRM content as well as having limited to no codec support.

10. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

Well, the only way around DRM content is to either rip discs or hit up a torrent tracker, neither of which appeals to me at all. I can stream any of my owned disc rips to either device, I just prefer to use the Apple TV because it is so simple.

Codecs only seem to matter to those that collect what they can find, if you know what I mean. When I'm ripping my own discs codecs don't come to mind, because this one will work just like the last one. Easy.

You don't like the Roku or Apple TV because both are tied to services provided by companies whose business practices you don't agree with, which I can only assume means you have a problem exchanging money for a product. That's fine, it really is.

And the controller was THE reason why I didn't buy a Sony Google TV. Too small, no logical button layout and the buttons themselves suck. I'm much happier with the Revue keyboard and my trusty Harmony.

To each his own I guess.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

While I don't want to get in between your little epeen measuring contest. I should point out that this statement is kinda off.

The Roku has the Roku USB Media Player which is the only supported media player for that device. It does have private channels which supports streaming from various servers; PlayOn, Plex, Roksbox, etc. However, none of them are officially supported by Roku.

The Apple TV on the other-hand can stream your media through iTunes or through Airplay. However, you're limited to the Apple ecosystem. Unless you decide to hack it and use third-party variants.

Personally, I think every set-top IP box has something unique to offer which the other doesn't. Every one of them has pros and cons, fans and detractors. There's no need in quibbling which one is the best because right now its like playing Rock/Paper/Scissors unless you have very specific needs. So, just put them back in your pants, boys, because nobody cares and you two are so far off-topic it is irrelevant.

12. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

Eferz, sorry.. im was not trying to cause problems on the board but I'm just tired of the rants about when will HC be released and so on. I don't care for uninformed users b!itch!ng and moaning about release dates and so on. I was not arguing which media player was the best just trying to give an unbiased opinion.

So again my apologies.

13. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

No I don't have a problem exchanging money for a product. But I do have a problem when a fee gets hiked up 6x% over night (Netflix), and when content I PAY for is intentinally blocked from a viewing device for no other reason than greed (Hulu).

I wont respond about the remote as you said it.. to each his own.

I know your new here so I wont go on about this. But get your facts straight and know who your dealing with.

14. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

Oooooooooooooooooooooh, ok.

Well, I believe we were asked to drop this and that's what I intend to do.

15. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

Agreed.. dropped.