Quantcast

Cannot display correct resolution

Discussion in 'Hisense Pulse' started by tjharris, Feb 15, 2013.

1. tjharris

tjharris New Member

I have a Hisense pulse, which does not detect the correct display resolution for my projector. It is connected through my audio receiver (as are 4 other devices, which all work fine).

I did find the resolution settings, but when I go there, it only shows "480P (Auto)" and will not give any other options. What I need to display is 720P.
    Is there some way to disable auto-detection and get all the options to manually choose?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't have the Hisense Pulse but I do have 3 different Google TV boxes, all can easily be set to 720p fixed output. The menu selection process is settings>picture>resolution>720p. I would be very surprised if the Pulse doesn't have the ability to set output to 720p but the menu option could be different than my models.

3. tjharris

tjharris New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that is the settings menu location I am using: Settings->Picture->Resolution->

But, the only option available is "480P (Auto)". There are no other disabled selections or anything like that, just the 480P. I was hoping there was some hidden setting to override auto-detection.

4. fahrenheit

fahrenheit New Member

This sounds like an EDID issue. Basicially the Pulse is asking the AVR which resolutions it will allow and the AVR isn't returning that information correctly to the Pulse.
    Have you tried connecting directly to the Projector? The other thing to try would be to put the Pulse upstream of the AVR (which is where it naturally wants to be).

AVR HDMI Out -----> Pulse ----> Projector.

5. tjharris

tjharris New Member

I agree, it seems like an issue with the resolution detection. My other devices (Ion HTPC, Apple TV, Samsung Blu-Ray) all correctly display at 720p, but there is something funny about the Hisense.

I have not connected the projector directly to the Pulse, or put the pulse downstream from the AV receiver. That might work with a TV, where it can output the audio directly from the the display. But, my projector does not have any audio output. So, the Pulse needs to output to the AV receiver.

Obviously, my first experience with Google TV has been a little frustrating.. It seems like there is no manual override of the display resolution. Hopefully a future update will resolve this.

6. tjharris

tjharris New Member

I updated my Pulse with the latest firmware, and it worked.. for a short while.

While doing the upgrade, it displayed in 720p resolution. Then, after the initial reboot, the Google TV GUI was in 720p and was looking good. I was able to install the Amazon Live app and watched a program in HD.
    I switched to a different input, and didn't use it for a few days. When I switched back, it was back to 480p display resolution.

Now, the "Picture & sound" settings let me disable "Auto" mode, and there are 720p, 1080i, and 1080p display resolution options. The resolution options look gray, rather than the white of menu options at other levels. It looks like they may be disabled, but it's not really clear what the intention is. I can click down arrow to get to 720p, and the radio button selection shows 720p as selected when I click it - along with a selection tone. But, the resolution never changes.

At the top of the display settings menu, it said something about scaling the display. When I clicked on it, it says the screen may be scaled to a different resolution, please reboot to resolve it. So, I did.. hoping it would go back to 720p. Instead, it rebooted into 480p, and then the GoogleTV screen display was only in the upper-left quadrant of the screen. I have a 720p display, where the Google TV was windowboxed into the center 480p region, and within that the Google TV Menu/Display was in the upper left corner region, giving me an effective ~360x240 display where I can barely read any menu options.

Not good..