Quantcast

Cannot access the Olympics video streams on NBC LIveExtra coverage online.

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by gedawei2, Jul 27, 2012.

1. gedawei2

gedawei2 New Member

Is it true that Google TV users cannot play the live video streams of all Olympic events that are available on NBC's LIveExtra site? I would think this would be a perfect opportunity for Google TV to show its online capabilities by allowing us to access the full range of events at the Olympics. But it appears that Google TV's Chrome is not updated enough to play the live streams. Huh? I am a Comcast customer, so I have access to their well-designed Olympics site, which then connects to NBC's live streams. But all i get is a black screen for the videos. What the heck? My iphone has easy and beautiful access to the LiveExtra videos, but Google TV can't do it?

• :(

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. gedawei2

gedawei2 New Member

Oh great, Chrome is a Google product and so is Google TV. With all the resources available to Google, they can't upgrade their version of Chrome on Google TV? I don't get it.

4. CatfishRivers

I agree that it would be nice if GTV had a more recent version of Chrome - however IMHO even if GTV had the latest version of Chrome - Comcast (the owner of NBC) could of very well come up with some other technical mumbo-jumbo excuse to in essence "block" GTV. Comcast thus far has not been going out of their way to do anything that would be considered "GTV friendly". In fact - quite to the contrary.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  5. zen2go

zen2go New Member

This is such a raw deal. Pisses me off.

6. themiaconnect

themiaconnect New Member

ME too and i'm so P.O.'d !!! WTF? I payed extra to get this and now all I get is the blank screen. I missed half of the opening ceremonies last night trying to find a place to go watch it. Google TV has let me down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
  7. zen2go

zen2go New Member

8. johnnygxyz

johnnygxyz New Member

Cant acess NBC olympic live either. Google have at least 5 days to come up with a way for us to watch an event that doesnt happen everyday. google event competition is set for 5 days. They come up with something they get a gold medal. If they don't, well, i will give them a dishonor medal with a Google TV 2012 suxs engravng on the back.
    5 days. Then i will spend the rest of the talking about the fustration moment with Google TV.

9. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

I subscribe to Dish Network and am able to watch some content from nbcolympics.com thru NBC Live Extra.

After logging in,I can watch pre-recorded video from the 2012 Olympics (courtesy of YouTube),but can't watch anything "live";get a black screen. (Google TV)

I'm also very pissed off about the discrimination towards Google TV viewers by the major networks and am not sure how to end it.

10. zen2go

zen2go New Member

#twitterfail and #nbcfail are trending

11. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

Where are they trending,Zen2Go? Sounds like a lot of people are pissed off.

12. zen2go

zen2go New Member

On Twitter. NBC is getting a lot of bad press.

• Like Like x 2
  13. richmay5

richmay5 New Member

I am new to this forum. We've had our Google/Sony TV blu-ray player for 2 years and have only tapped a small portion of its potential. We do not subscribe to any TV service because we watch it only occasionally, although we pay $8/month for Netflix. So, yeah, we wanted to watch the Olympics, too. The week prior to the opening ceremony, I hunted all the stuff on the internet that claimed it would let us view the Olympics over the internet for free. When Friday night arrived, all of them turned out to be bogus and to keep my wife from pummelling me, I subscribed to Direct-pcTV for $39.95 so we could get some streaming on NBC and watch. We got so-so reception on it and the next day it was horrible (very jerky, sound and picture out of sync). As I read the scoop more carefully on Direct-pcTV (they claim you can get 9000 channels world wide, which seems to be true), it says that they work best via Microsoft Internet Explorer. However, the way the Google TV is set up, I can't figure out how to run IE 8 (I downloaded it, but have no idea how to get to it to browse); we just get Google Chrome. So, we've been watching the Olympics upstairs on our computer monitor. The sound and picture are in sync and the picture quality is OK, but not great. I WANT to watch on our HDTV screen downstairs, but how on earth do we do that with this Google TV box if we can't run through IE? I'm going to try plugging in my laptop tonight to a VGA cable and see if that will work. But, dang, the Google guys need to be a little more flexible than this. Any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks.

14. CatfishRivers

Sorry IE won't work on GTV. And the browsers besides Chrome that do work (with GTV) are basically mobile browsers with limited functionality. Due to the way that the browser/Flash are baked into the GTV operating system - none of these alternative browsers can stream Flash on GTV. Some of the mobile browsers can play videos from mobile versions of web sites (if they're encoded with a common mobile video codec) - but that's about it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  15. CatfishRivers

I found some Olympic streams that work on my Logitech Revue (OS 3.1). When you click to view a stream - just wait until the advertisement countdown finishes and the ad closes (don't click any of the links before the ad closes).

Sport Lemon - From Sport - Watch Live Sports Online - FromSport

and

http://atdhenet.tv/index.html

and

http://tvpc.com/Channel.php?ChannelID=8926 (NBC OTA feed)

and

I'll list these next two sites with the disclaimer that I can't get them to work very well on my Revue. I have a hard time getting the popup ads to remove from the screen to watch the video - (without the page jumping to another web site). But there are a lot of Olympic live feeds - in case some of you want to fool around with them to see if you can get it to work:

http://www.vipbox.tv/olympics.html

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  16. richmay5

richmay5 New Member

thanks for the tips. We patched my laptop into the TV via the RGB cable and ran the sound to some computer speakers. Worked better. I'll see if we can improve our Olympic watching at some of the other sites. I wonder if Apple TV people had the same problem as all of us GTV people that apparently have been snookered.

17. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If any of you have playon.tv check out NBC Olympics (2012) | PlayOn as they made the olympics work with playon I heard from their facebook page.

18. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I got the email from PlayOn and installed the plugin for the Olympics. It is pretty good standard definition access of highlights but as far as I know, any live streaming using the channel requires a cable or satellite subscription which I don't have.

19. richmay5

richmay5 New Member

But, do you get the regular NBC TV programming? That is, at 7 pm Central, do you get Bob Costas?

20. richmay5

richmay5 New Member

BTW, I learned last night that Apple TV is even WORSE than our Google TV: they have NO WEB BROWSER! I have been disappointed with trying to watch the Olympics via streaming with Direct-PcTV. It keeps crashing, even when I use my laptop and go through IE8. So, I cancelled that. I'm going to try the PlayOn.tv link that trallyus suggested. This has been a huge frustrastion and disappointment. But, I don't want to pay $60/month for TV service, as we hardly watch regular TV. Rich