Quantcast

Cannot access local intranet site

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by damion123, Nov 1, 2010.

1. damion123

damion123 New Member

We purchased Google TV for use in our office and would like to access the local sharepoint based intranet site on our in house server. http://XYZserver/ but we can't seem to navigate tot his location.

However, we also have a different sharepoint site that is externally accessible as a subdomain of our site. xyz.com . We have tested the external version and it works fine and is perfectly accessible, but the one that is within our company network is not reachable. I've checked to verify we are on the same subnet as well, but the URL will not resolve to a local address on our network.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work or is this a limitation of Google TV??

NOTE: I'm using the Logitech Revue Box.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. nagmier

nagmier New Member

try inputting the ip address in your address bar, I'm thinking that there is no hosts file translating local hostnames to IP addresses or you may need a WINS server, but that all hinges on it being accessible via IP address honestly the best solution at this point would probably be open it via IP address and save it as a bookmark.

now I tested http://wintermute (the hostname) on my logitech box and it opened my server even opened the security dialog requesting username and password... but its an XAMPP server not sharepoint

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  3. damion123

damion123 New Member

Good thinking ! That worked and I was able to navigate through the site some however I ran into a lot of page load errors in different areas of the sharepoint site. Most dashboard screens appeared coorrectly but a lot of the links returned errors when trying to click on them. I'm thinking the page names at an IP address aren't understood.

I tested this back on my PC browser using the IP address and found errors in the same places. So bottom line, I can't access by hostname, but I can via IP though the pages don't resolve with the IP in the URL on both Google TV and on regular PCs.

Thanks for your help though. This points me in a good direction. Any further advice on how I can setup a WINS server? Is that something I setup on my server? May need to talk with my IT guy about that.

4. nagmier

nagmier New Member

Yeah IT would know what a WINS server is... odd thing is it sounds like your servers hostname isn't in your internal DNS server, check with your IT guy and make sure that the DHCP Server that your GoogleTV Box is pulling an IP from is set to the DNS Server your local network is using to resolve local hostnames for and that your sharepoint server has an entry in there otherwise you will need to somehow tell the DHCP server that the Sharepoint server exists so the GTV box can access it by hostname (which would be a WINS server) IT should be able to straighten it out for you.