Quantcast

Can you get a Nexus 7 to display on the sony NSZ-GS7

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by skipinda, Dec 6, 2012.

1. skipinda

skipinda New Member

I have just bought a Nexus 7 and want to haven then screen display on the TV from time to time.

The Sony NSZ GS7 has wireless connectivity can the nexus display to this? Will you need to install an app for this?

I can't seem to find any info about this, it would be nice to have this in the spec if you can do this.

2. chopper

chopper Active Member

You can watch You Tube vids on GTV from the 7. Open the You Tube App on GTV, go to My You Tube, and then Pair with Mobile Device.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

You can use the Able Remote app to display web pages and pictures on TV and stream videos stored on your Nexus 7 to your GTV device. (Also as Chopper mentioned you can pair your mobile device to YouTube videos for GTV). However there is no app available to "mirror" streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu from the Nexus 7 - but the Able Remote app now lets you control the Netflix Instant Que with your mobile device:

http://ableremote.com/able-remote-2-2-6-released-with-netflix/

You need to download the Able Remote app for Google TV to your GTV device - as well as the Able Remote android app to your Nexus 7.

Both of these apps are available in the Google Play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.entertailion.android.tvremote&hl=en

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

If you are willing to spend money on an "adapter box" - Netgear is selling a line of devices called "Push2TV" that are supposed to offer full mirroring. The reviews on these boxes are mixed - so I suggest that you read them carefully. Sorry this is something that I haven't tried personally.

NETGEAR Connected Entertainment

I noticed that Netgear has a new push2TV box out (the PTV3000) that is supposed to support Miracast - although the PTV300 is not a Miracast certified device (yet). A bit confusing. Interestingly this PTV300 box has a very poor rating from users on Amazon (even though only 10 reviews have been posted). The other earlier Push2TV boxes are rated higher on Amazon but I believe those require WiDi compliant devices to work.

The android 4.2 update supports Miracast - so I would think that the PTV3000 would be the model that would have the best chance of working with your Nexus 7 & GTV device.

Here is a link to the specs for the Netgear PTV3000:

http://www.netgear.com/landing/stream/tv/#push2tv#specs

From the Netgear web site:

"7. What is Miracast?

Miracast is a new wireless display standard developed by the WiFi Alliance that allows devices the use of a WiFi connection to deliver audio and video content from one device to another, without cables or a connection to an existing WiFi network. Push2TV (PTV3000) supports a pre-standard compliant version of Miracast and will be submitted for certification towards the end of 2012. Miracast enabled devices should become available towards the end of 2012/early 2013."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the PTV3000 listed on Amazon. (It costs about $60.)

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-PTV3000-100NAS-Push2TV/dp/B00904JILO

Amazon has some other wireless mirroring adapters that don't require Miracast or WiDi. Just search around a bit and you will find them. Here is a mirroring adapter box from Samsung that costs $80 and is rated 3.3 stars (out of a possible 5 stars):

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-All-Share-Wireless-Display-Adapter/dp/B0089VO7MY/ref=pd_sim_e_3

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

This method is watching YouTube directly from the internet, the tablet is working as a remote control.

As mentioned Miracast should be the solution, if it works as I understand it will, content playing on the tablet will be mirrored on the Google TV device. I don't know much about it or how well it might work.

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Miracast still isn't a great solution for home use because it seemingly requires you to connect to your TV as a hotspot rather than just go through an existing home network. According to a white paper, there's a "TDLS" mode that will allow "tunneling" through an "infrastructure" network. That sounds like that would get the job done, but it doesn't appear to be a mandatory part of the spec. Some devices may support it.

7. OinkGrunz

OinkGrunz New Member

Reviews for PTV3000 say that Miracast DOES NOT WORK with the device. I know that advertisment and product description says it does work, but I have not seen a single review were it did.