Quantcast

can you access the disk drive? and other sony issues

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by gossipninja, Dec 1, 2011.

1. gossipninja

gossipninja New Member

I bought a sony settop box with google and bluray and so far I am underwhelmed big time. I had a revue and figured I would give the sony a week and see if I like it more.

Couple of questions.
    Can you play media (divx / mkv / wmv) off of the optical drive? I tried inserting a disk with files on it and the disc player would not read. The media player app wouldn't let me choose it as a location.

This is one of the big reasons I wanted to try the sony, as I have a boat load of disk media and having and optical drive would make it easy. With the revue, I would load the disk into a computer and stream it.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Sony Media Player has fixed locations that where they check for media. So, you can't use it to play your files. I would recommend downloading File Expert and use it to search for location of your files on the mounted disc media. I believe the location should probably be somewhere under My Files > Phone Internal Storage > /mnt. Unfortunately, I do not have the Sony Google TV (NSZ-GT1) and cannot tell exactly where it is located, but if you find it please share the location with us.

3. gossipninja

gossipninja New Member

thanks for the response, I tried with a file explorer app, I cannot remember which, and under mnt was cdrom, but no data was visible.
    It is possible it is locked somehow as studio fear people ripping blurays.

I think I am returning the sony, it has been problematic.