Quantcast

Can we play .mp4 files with costar?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by sssharp, Feb 16, 2013.

1. sssharp

sssharp New Member

I have a bunch of files with .mp4 files that say format of this media is not supported. I also use other sites, h u l u, and get the same response. They work on my ps3 but nothing is working here. ESPN said the exact same thing. Does this thing do nothing for someone like me who streams without a cable bill. Maybe a factory reset without ever updating? If there is a free program, no plex, that works to stream sites and files please help me. It is just unusual that my roku plays all and this plays nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Everything you say your Co-Star will not do, my Co-Stars will do ...! Before you can get help, you need to explain your set up, evidently something is wrong and most likely, it's not the Co-Star either ... Go here and do some reading and gone get your Co-Star set up correctly http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...io-co-star-reviews-your-hands-experience.html ... Also do you have the latest v4.6.0 update ....? After you read everything do your hard reset ...! Get back with me, I will do my best to help ....

3. sssharp

sssharp New Member

I have .mp4 files on a usb hard drive, I have movies on a hard drive, I have other shows on a hard drive. I am using playpoint to find all the files but nothing plays. I see my pc listed with files but still the same message. How to get the costar to play these files is needed. It says up to date with 3.50.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Ok, I see the deal now, you don't have the v4.6.0 update yet .... Test this out, you may not want Plex in the mix, but give it a test run anyway and see if plex will play your USB hard drive files, also test the "ViMu(GTVBox) too ....

5. csrini1

csrini1 Member

ViMu(GTVBox) plays .mp4 files without issues.

6. horrorshow83

horrorshow83 New Member

aVia plays them without problem, too, and is a much better free media player than PlayPoint, too, to control.

Actually, PlayPoint will play them, but it takes hours after plugging in (without turning the device off) for PP to read a large HD. With smaller flash drives, it's faster. aVia reads an entire 500GB in about an hour with Smart RAM Booster. Run a boost before plug-in, though.

I highly recommend partitioning your HD into smaller cells. I recently partitioned a 750GB down to five increments of 150GB fat32s and aVia reads everything within 15 minutes. You don't have to go that drastic. When I partitioned a 500GB down to two 250GB drives, aVia was reading everything within a half hour. Remember: the larger the drives, the longer it will take for the apps within the Co-Star to scan and read everything. I assume this is because those apps aren't drive explorers that you simply navigate upon plug-in; they're scan-and-reads, so they first need to identify all media files before importing the feeds of those files to the app menus.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013