Quantcast

Can we hook the Harmony IR commands sent to the Revue?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by mogul, Dec 19, 2011.

1. mogul

mogul New Member

Hi there,

I bought the Revue mainly to enable our use of Google Music through the entertainment center. Mission accomplished with the recent firmware upgrade! We also own a Harmony remote, and I've configured it to drive the Revue, which works very nicely, just as I expect.

I'm interested in setting up a "Listen to Music" activity on the Harmony which simply sends the Revue to Google Music, presses play, and makes sure the TV is off.

Logitech's Harmony DB does allow you to remap hard buttons to specific preset Revue IR codes that launch selected apps, but there's no way to (1) invent a new IR code, or (2) remap an existing IR code to launch a different app. For example, there's a GTV_PANDORA command that you can map on the Harmony remote side, but there's no way to create your own GTV_GOOGLEMUSIC, or indicate that you'd rather that GTV_PANDORA launch Google Music instead (or for that matter any other app).

My understanding is that on the Android side there's a HarmonyControl.apk app which interprets IR commands and launches apps. (I could have sworn I saw a page where someone listed the permissions required for Logitech's .apk, which included IR input, but I can't for the life of me find it now.) Replacing that app seems like a good way to provide for customizing the mapping from IR codes to intents, and is attractive to me as a first app for me to tackle on the Android side. However, I'm having trouble figuring out how one creates an Android app that handles IR input... Obviously the Revue is one of the few existing Android devices that has an IR input, and the docs are not making themselves obvious to me at the new GTV developer website.

Does anyone have any pointers for where I could find out about handling IR input, or have other suggestions for how to go about this?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You can't do it. The entire operating system is signed and you can't easily replace items. Logitech is the only one with the ability to make this change.

3. mogul

mogul New Member

Not even as an add-on app through the Android Market?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Maybe sometime in the future. However, the Logitech Harmony component is outside of the Dalvik run time for Android, so I don't see it being possible at the moment.

5. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Would this help?

Teaching Harmony remote IR codes - you'll need a second learning remote to swap IR codes or PC w/USB IR Receiver or if you can search (GoogleTV discrete ir codes) & find IR Hex (discrete ) codes (see how to add IR codes directly into Harmony Remote from below link >IR Tips).

For example

• Replace one of the seven Apps from Revue Home Screen task bar (see how replace an App in Home Screen from below link for Home Screen Tips).
    • Program a Harmony activity as follow: TV OFF > Home + delay (to wake up Revue) > Right > Right (to Google Music App) > OK ( to lunch App) > ....

See Tips here --> http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...e-gtv2-0-ui-pq-netflix-apps-quick-review.html

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011