Quantcast

Can we get WDTV Live running within GTV as an app?

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by chopper, Jan 25, 2012.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

1. The reason I ask is this: B-Rad is working on Debian working on WDTV Live.

B-RAD » Debian on the WD TV Live - debian-wdlxtv-live

2. If this is not possible can GTV find and play via DNLA files that are on WDTV and play all the formats supported on that device?

3. What would happen if WDTV was connected via HDMI to GTV?

4. Now imagine Ubuntu TV running on GTV in this manner and the sky is the limit. A possible way to get full DVR integration inside GTV?

5. How about Puppy Linux running on GTV via USB Stick?

6. If all this is not possible due to hardware restrictions perhaps a software solution such as logmein?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

funny you mention this , was gonna jack my wdtv live plus thru the revue for fun and also jack it into the rj45 client port of the revue as well . will update results when the wife give me a chance to play ...

3. chopper

chopper Active Member

Great I own a WDTV and am awaiting delivery of GTV now or I would have tried this already. Looking forward to your update.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, but since WDTV Live is a set-top box with HDMI output, there's no reason why you cannot funnel its video and audio stream through the Google TV device. Furthermore, since you have a Logitech Revue, I checked the Logitech Harmony Database lookup tool (http://www.logitech.com/harmony/components) and found it listed under Device Type: Media Center PC, Manufacturer: Western Digital, and Model: WD TV LIVE. I doubt this is in the default choices, so you'll have to use my tutorial to teach three commands and download the respective profile.

Nice. Irrelevant but nice.

If Western Digital TV Live operates as a DLNA server then Google TV can play the compatible movies through its included media player. I don't know if the device offers transcoding for its clients to convert the formats on the fly. I suspect because of the low price that it doesn't.

The same thing as connecting any HDMI set-top box to GTV. You'll see the audio and video as long as the High Definition Content Protection (HDCP) protocol on the originating box doesn't see GTV as a comprise to security.

It is not likely to ever happen. The bootloader in the Google TV devices are locked up so well, in fact that the people have restored to opening petitions for the respective companies to unlock it.

See above.

Sure, logmein works since it uses Flash as indicated in this post, "http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...emote-control-your-pc-google-tv.html#post5278".

5. chopper

chopper Active Member

OK just connected WDTV via hdmi in and it worked without configuration on GTV. Now is there a way to connect the WDTV and the set top box to the same hdmi input on GTV? The idea is that when I want the set top box running I would have it turn on and the wdtv turned off and vise versa.

With debian coming to wdtv I would have a full unrestricted os available with GTV integration via future apps I envision for GTV. The gives us HULU etc.

How about Ubuntu TV on the WDTV being controlled via apps within GTV while connected to GTV?

All this with 1 HDMI TV input so no more changing video sources.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You'd need a HDMI switch to plug in two HDMI devices to the same port. You gotta be careful though, the Revue doesn't quite take kindly to having its HDMI input switched.

I guess that cool. But, there's already other alternatives to getting Hulu through Google TV. There's PlayOn.TV, TVersity, a Tivo Premiere, a Roku, etc. There's an unlimited amount of combination to provide access to Hulu through Google TV. However, a lot of it will all be moot point if Hulu ever releases their app for Google TV.

Again, not really much different then plugging in a Roku into a Google TV device. You can view the display of the device with the Live TV app and control it with the keyboard.

Except if you have two sources plugged into any one HDMI port you'll have to switch between sources. Unless of course you get yourself one of those 9X1 Digital Scaler/Switcher w/HDMI Output & PIP then I guess you can keep it in a PIP window.

7. chopper

chopper Active Member

Hmmm, hdmi switch it is! Cheers!

8. chopper

chopper Active Member

The WDTV plugged into GTV is a great alternative for Canadians at this juncture or at least until the TV and Movies missing App gets sorted out! If I want to use GTV I hit the home button on the GTV remote. If I want to use the WDTV I hit the TV button on the remote. If I want to watch something on the DVR I select another HDMI input other than the one my GTV/WDTV is connected to.

The thing about WDTV is it just works as a media player without missing a beat!!! The perfect combo IMHO!!!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012