Quantcast

Can video streaming via internet on Sony GoogleTV be recorded?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by Anwar, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Anwar

Anwar New Member

Can video streaming via internet on Sony GoogleTV be recorded?

If yes, what devices can be connected to record?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Nope.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Since the only video output is HDMI and no HDMI recorders exist, the answer is no as eferz states. I have seen posts indicating that downloading to an attached USB drive is possible now with a third party app so the sites that permit streaming or downloading may provide some ability to make a copy of the program but I have no experience with downloading using a Google TV device and can't confirm that first hand.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Downloading a copy of movie file and recording a stream is two different things. It may sound similar to the computer illiterate. Of course, I always assume the worse of people who ask questions like these because they usually want to make copies of Netflix movies that they rent so that they can watch it elsewhere. Which of course is not only illegal because of copyright and licensing but technologically improbable due to the security measures on the streams.

Of course, there's always around these technological measures but I do not condone piracy and will not enable stupid people to participate in it.

5. ChrisG8

I agree, my point is that a site like Internet Archive allows downloading, all public domain content. If if is possible to download using Google TV from that site, it is legal and possible to make copies of the programs accessible from the site.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sure and again, downloading a copy of movie file and recording a stream is two different things.

7. ChrisG8

Which is exactly what I stated with the first post and agreed again with the second post. My point is even though you can't record there may be some programming that can be copied by downloading and writing the file to disc or saving the file. I can't flap my arms and fly from San Antonio to Phoenix but I can board a plan and achieve a similar outcome.