Quantcast

Can somebody help me help A Best Buy salesperson to get my video running on Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by bbmiller, Aug 8, 2011.

1. bbmiller

bbmiller New Member

Hi
    after many years my CRT TV conked out on me. So I needed another TV so I bought Samsung UN32D5500 it is store I knew I could return it if necessary because I have special needs for this television, getting it to work with my 40 year old Bose speakers. For reasons not pertinent to my question this didn't work out, so I am seriously looking at Sony Google TVs. I have an incredible quality MKV video which I have been using as a test video on my handy flash thumbnail drive to go to the stores and compare TVs. According to the Sony store in Denver that I visited all Sony TVs are only designed to run MP4 videos from the USB port. But watching a video about Google TVs which mentioned Windows media player as application built in to these TVs I started to think otherwise. So can I with nothing more than a USB flash thumbnail drive in hand have salesperson's demonstrate a visually spectacular MKV test video on Sony Google TVs, if this salesperson can know how to do it with a little instruction from me via you? I don't care if it runs on Windows media player or something else it is possible to install on a Google TV. But it has to be simple enough to get this salesperson to do it.

Incidentally the reason I am looking very strongly at the Sony Google TV is a 32 inch model is now $500, but I had some quotes from Google shopping site which said the 46 inch model was only $600. The Sony representative at the Sony store said you'll never get it at that price. Is this right will you never get a new 46 inch Google TV for $600? I don't think so but I know I saw what I saw.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. jkoozzi

jkoozzi New Member

I can confirm that Best Buy had the 46" Sony for $600. I bought one yesterday in the store. I hope I made a good decision...

I just checked the BB website and see it is back up to $1000. I think any buyers remorse just vanished :eek:

My hope is to be able to access recordings made on my PC TV capture card. It works with my Apple TV after post processing.

I haven't actually taken it out of the box yet. I am getting a bit discouraged when reading about the networks blocking access.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. galfert

galfert Active Member

There is no Windows Media Player in Google TV devices. It is called Logitech Media Player on in the Logitech Revue. I don't know what it is called on Sony devices but it definitely isn't Windows Media Player.

People have been able to play MKV files with some success. Not all MKV files play due to differences in file encoding.

My advice is to go for the Logitech Revue rather than any Sony Google TV product.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Lie. You can actually run one additional format from the USB than you can from streaming over DNLA server. The Media Player on the Sony TVs and Blu-Ray is simply called, "Media Player" while it is called "Logitech Media Player" on the Revue. Don't let him confuse you with the "Windows Media Player" which is only available for Windows computers.

The important thing to understand is that MKV is a file container for audio, video, and text streams. This is analogous to ZIP files which are a compressed container for files and directories. It's the content within these containers which make them either compatible or not.

Here's a list of what is compatible for GoogleTV.

Video compatibility (beta):
    File ContainerVideo Stream
    Audio StreamText Stream
    .MKVH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .FLVH.264/MPEG-4 AVC and H.263AACNA
    .MTSH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .MT2SH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .TSH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .AVIH.264/MPEG-4 AVC, Divx MPEG4, and Xvid MPEG4AAC

Audio compatibility:
    File Container
    Audio Stream
    .MP3MPEG-3 Layer 1
    .MP4AAC
    .M4AAAC
    .OGGVorbis (only through USB Port)

Picture compatibility: .JPEG, .PNG, .GIF, and .BMP

Also, if you're unsure about what kind of streams are encoded in your multimedia files then download Media Info from SourceForge. It will tell you exactly what's inside those file containers.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  5. bbmiller

bbmiller New Member

The normal codec analyzer I use called Gspot is failing to analyze the video I would like to get working on the Sony Google internet TV has to let me compare how it plays with the way it plays on the Samsung UN32D5500 TV which is quite good . So I tried to use more than one of my media players to get the analysis and one came through giving the analysis I am posting directly below.

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\marc\Downloads\Richard.Hammonds.Invisible.Worlds.3of3.Off.the.Scale.HDTV.x264.AC3.MVGroup.org.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    File size : 1.73 GiB
    Duration : 59mn 14s
    Overall bit rate : 4 193 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2010-04-02 17:55:27
    Writing application : mkvmerge v3.2.0 ('Beginnings') built on Feb 12 2010 16:46:17
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate : 4 000 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.174
    Stream size : 1.62 GiB (93%)
    Writing library : x264 core 80 r1376M 3feaec2
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=125 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=50000 / vbv_bufsize=50000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Language : English

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Video delay : 1ms
    Stream size : 81.3 MiB (5%)

Text
    ID : 3
    Format : UTF-8
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text

Well it doesn't look like it should be compatible with the information you posted in the chart. I could tell you that this and about every other video I try to play on the Samsung plays off the USB port. Accordingly I am thinking if it's a Sony Google Internet TV proves that have an almost as good picture I will exchange it for the Sony Google Internet TV anyway. Because I am thinking in addition to the TV I can purchase something like "Iomega ScreenPlay Director HD Media Player, 2TB - 34653" since this is said to play just about every video format there is and plugging it in to the Sony Google Internet TV will make a combination which is not that much more costly than just the Samsung TV since the Samsung TV cost $129 more. Well what do you think of that? And do you have any more advice for me as to converting the video above to one that will play on the Sony Google Internet TV. I am presently downloading something I hope will do it. I am a little confused as to the Logitech media player mentioned above. Is this something one must purchase? Is there any way of presently running videos of the USB port going inside the browser that comes with the Internet television? Well thanks for that info about and any additional info you could give me as to converting my demonstration video to one that will play on the Sony Google TV or opinions on the Iomega addition to my set up will be appreciated.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I certainly think that's an intersting device though I can't give you an opinion without using it or seeing it in action.

I've learned long ago that the most compatible format is MP4 the file container with H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video and AAC audio stream. So, I have converted all of my videos to that format using Format Factory.

No, for Logitech Revue is comes free as it is part of the standard applications. For the Sony TVs and Blu-Ray player the equivalent application is simply called, "Media Player". You would use the respective app to play any of media on a USB drive or over the network via DNLA server.

$media player.jpg

No, not the internet browser but through the respective Media Player app for either the Logitech or Sony Google TV device.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  7. bbmiller

bbmiller New Member

eferz -thank you for those very well formatted very good answers.

Now I am wondering if a Logitech Revue together with a router is all that one would need to stream videos to once new HDTV? I am also wondering how likely it will be for the VLC media player to become available in the next few months on both Google TV and Logitech review? And if so will it be available in a form which placed just about all Web downloadable videos making the Google and Logitech devices capable of playing just about all videos through a USB port?

Another question is how higher transfer capacity router would be necessary to stream videos at 1080 P to your TV and simultaneously stream a video that you are saving to a network hard drive. I neither will want to buy too much router and waste money or buy too little router and not have adequate performance.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Actually asking for the bandwidth requirements of 1080p a video is a little vague. It can be anywhere from 2Mbps to 4Mbps for a single stream depending on the encoding specifications. In my opinion if you get a router which supports Wireless N and Gigabit Switchports, you should have more than enough overhead for what you have planned.

In regards to VLC, I honestly don't know. For a long time their website has been saying, "VLC for Android is NOT ready YET. Please, stop asking until it is released." However in the interim, Rockplayer for Android will currently play just about any audio or video file. Though, I don't know if the developer has any plans to port his app to GoogleTV.