Quantcast

Can Remote control a Sony DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by sprank1, Jan 6, 2011.

1. sprank1

sprank1 New Member

Hello,

I have searched and can't find a way to do this, so I am not even sure if it is possible.

I have the Sony 40" Google TV and want to connect a Sony Blu-ray player to it. I will connect with an HDMI cable.

What I can't seem to find is any information on how to control the Blu-ray player with the Google TV remote.

Can the Google TV Remote control a Blu-ray player? If so, how do I set it up? I looked through all the "settings" and did not find any place to set up the remote for anything other than an AV receiver.

Thanks
    :)

2. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Hey I have a 40" GTV and it came with two IR blasters I have one pointed at my Comcast cable box , and one pointed at my RCA DVD player. You will need to go into the Settings-AV Receiver-Control with IR Blaster, check the box, then pick Manufacture and the right code. I had to go through all the codes before I found the right one for my RCA player.

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 2
  3. sprank1

sprank1 New Member

Thanks for the info on the IR blasters and where to set it up. I had assumed that the AV Receiver setup was only for the AV receiver - I probably would not have looked there.

However - I just connected the DVD player to the TV and the remote is working perfectly without the IR blasters even hooked up. The remote even works with the DVD player in a closed off cabinet.

I can only assume that the Google TV is using the HDMI cable to pass control signals to the DVD player. I had heard this was possible but never actually had any components that it worked with.

So -- I am pretty happy - no extra cables - don't need the DVD remote - and everything seems to work great.

The more I used my Google TV the more I love it :)

• Like Like x 2