Quantcast

can not open external hard disk with AVI movies through USB port

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by bpetrozzi, Feb 21, 2012.

1. bpetrozzi

bpetrozzi New Member

I have tried without success to view on my TV movies in AVI format saved on an external 500GB hard disk. can any one tell me what I might be doing wrong?

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

More then likely the hard drive your using is not formatted using the fat32 format. That is the common source of problems when hard drives are not recognized.

3. madman999

madman999 Member

the contents of your HD are hidden. did you get a notification that the USB HD was mounted in the Notification window? Should say something like "USB HD mounted, click to dismount"

plugged a 2 GB USB stick and it was recognized by my review, Browsed to it by going to File Expert, then Phone Storage, MNT and the USB stick contents was mounted there.

Double clicked on an MP4 Movie file and it played nicely in the built in player.

only question I have is how to control the Media player interface to play, pause, fast forward. they keyboard controls didn;t seem to work and moving the mouse didn;t or hitting the menu button didn;t seem to reveal anything.

4. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Use the google tv controller that came with your google tv to control the player madman999 - I use the sony google tv remote with mine and it has a fast forward keys and special player keys that work with the software.

5. madman999

madman999 Member

Thanks for the reply.

I have a logitech revue and I am trying to use the keyboard play, pause ff and rewind buttons located in the lower right by directional pad. However nothing responds except the back button but that kicks me out entirely.

Sent from my Htc Incredible via tapatalk....

6. madman999

madman999 Member

i guess i was doing something wrong. I just opened the Logitech Media Player rather than browsing and selecting through File Expert and all the controls were there.

more importantly, found the video file on the USB stick automatically. so i guess the minor issue is that the USB drive might need to be FAT32 afterall. But if thats is the case, how are people connecting USB HD greater than 32 gb? Guess I got to try it next.

Another thing, if the GTV boxes follows the same conventions as other Android devices are true then the built in player won;t be able to decode AVI files without an external player, just H.264 MP4 video files.

7. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

Simply put, they aren't.

Anyone who is playing large collections of video will be doing it from a networked drive and streaming the content. Which is quite simple and efficient and is more portable., you aren't tethered to watching your media from a single source.

As for the format container.... I cannot say for sure, but I'm almost 100% certain avi format is compatible. Honestly though, I learned really quick that you are best to have all of your content in a single format... and since mp4 is so universal, I make sure all of my videos are encoded this way.

Sent using TapaTalk

8. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If I remember right, all avi and mp4 are only containers from what someone used to say a lot. That said I used to have no problems with avi's in the past with my sony google tv but now have problems with some mp4s using a weird setup. Sometimes the mp4s I have will play the audio but not the video but I never had that problem in the past.

9. madman999

madman999 Member

just for shiggles, I plugged in a 4 GB NTFS formatted USB Key and my Revue recognized it just fine. was able to browse and play 2 MP4 movies.

So I don;t think the NTFS formatting is the OP's issue. I will try with some other USB HD enclosures and drives of varying capacities. My guess not having tried all the variables is that maybe these units may not be compatible with HD greater than a certain capacity(750 GB?), USB 3.0 or drives formatted with "advanced formatting". Also, maybe the drive is a "name brand" drive like a WD My Book? I have heard endless horror stories regarding those types.

So my guess is that either the OP is having a hardware issue(unit not recognizing the HD is plugged in) or a software issue(built in video player not able to decode or understand the AVI file)