Quantcast

Can I watch videos that required Windows Media Player on Sony Google TV?

Discussion in 'Google TV FAQs' started by milenats, Dec 3, 2011.

1. milenats

milenats New Member

I just purchased a Sony Google TV. I have been using my laptop to watch tv stations from my home country and was very excited to be able to watch them on my tv now. Unfortunately the website require Windows media player to play the tv stations and didn't work through the Google TV. Any ideas how I can watch videos requiring Window media player?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There's no way to install Windows Media Player onto Google TV. The only possible work around is to use PlayOn or TVersity Pro to transcode those videos. However, not every online video can be relayed that way. You might consider discussing alternative methods of content access with the website administrator.

• Like Like x 2
  3. neo11

neo11 New Member

Hello everyone. I had this same question...let me clarify what I (and seemingly the original poster) am looking for:

On my laptop and desktop computers, I often watch live streaming video of international television stations, who stream their programming live on the internet. Many of these stations use Windows Media Player technology for their streams. What I would like to find out is if there is any way that I could view these streams on my Sony Google TV.

To clarify, I did try TVersiy and PlayOn and was able to successfully connect to those programs with my TV, but I was *not* able to view any of the Windows Media streams. It seems that the transcoding doesn't work for live streaming video, unless I'm doing something completely wrong.

If there are any third-party apps that anyone is aware of and can recommend that can transcode *live streaming video* that is streamed in Windows Media format, or otherwise display such video, I would be greatly appreciative. I'd be happy to post links to some of the live TV links too if necessary to further illustrate what I am trying to watch.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Interesting note, "WMA and WMV streaming (RTSP, MMS, HTTP)" is listed on the Supported Premium Content Sites of TVersity. And have you checked, "PlayOn Plugins - Unofficial Plugins - Development"

The way I see it, you have two options:
    1. Contact the website of the streaming content, to see if there are any alternate URLs for Google TV compatible streams.
    2. Contact the TVersity and PlayOn developers to find if there's a way to enable it for the sites described earlier.

5. neo11

neo11 New Member

On the TVersity program on my computer, I am able to view those WMA/WMV streams without a problem. However, on the Google TV, when I go to:

> Media Player > TVersity > Video > Internet > any of the WMA/WMV streams that I am trying to view, nothing plays, and one of two things happen:

1. Error message: "The file is corrupted or unsupported"
    2. Error message: SORRY! The application Media Player has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. (With the "force close" button appearing below the message).

So what I don't know is... if it just isn't possible to use TVersity to view these streams, or if there is something I have done incorrectly on my end resulting in these streams not transcoding.

As for alternate URLs, I'm afraid that for many of these streams there are no alternate URLs/platforms available.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That question would probably be better posed to the developers of TVersity, or at least a forum supported by TVersity enthusiasts.

Oh wait.

I just thought about something. TVersity's profile for the Google TV might not actually reflect the recent Honeycomb update. Have you tried connecting to its, "http://<tversity.pc.ip.address>:41952/flashlib/" instead? This will connect you to the TVersity's web server where they host a Flash video player. Since the profile for Flash is the same across all platforms, you should be able to watch transcoded videos through that interface. At least, until the TVersity developers fix/update the DLNA profile for the Google TV devices.

7. neo11

neo11 New Member

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately this solution doesn't seem to work either. When looking at the Tversity status on my PC, it still shows the streaming percentage as 0%, though now it shows the format it's attempting to stream in as .flv, of course, rather than .mpg. I did try viewing some files installed on the hard drive of my PC, and was able to stream those to my TV correctly, so I've at least been able to confirm that there's nothing terribly wrong with my setup. I guess this is something that I should try to get further clarifications on over at the tversity forums, though you've been a great help :)

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. Sorry it didn't resolve your issue though. I hope it works out for you.

9. dbstv

dbstv New Member

1. Open Google Chrome on your Google TV.
    2. Type in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:41952/flashlib where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your computer's IP address. If you have changed the default port, use your port instead.
    3. You can now view any video within the Chrome Browser.

100% working for me

now I can watch my mms video stream that are setup on my tversity on PC

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  10. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure I understand completely. So are you saying I should go to settings on my GTV and enter a custom user string with the information that you provided? And then I can bypass the blocks on Hulu?

Can you provide the complete user string that I should enter (as a custom user agent) in order for this to work?

11. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Catfish - its not a custom string and his advice is not for bypassing the blocks on hulu. The information was for neo11 on how to get mms videostreams in tversity to work in google chrome.

Basically he told the person to type in the tversity's computers server address as well as the port number 41952/flashlib to watch the saved streams that are set up in the tversity server.

In example if your computers ip was 127.0.0.0 then you should be able to type 127.0.0.0:41952/flashlib to access the tversity's video streams in chrome as long as you did not change the default port number to the tversity server.

• Like Like x 2
  12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification.