Quantcast

Can I connect a printer to the Logitech Revue aka gtv

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by dansgotdepth, Feb 27, 2011.

1. dansgotdepth

dansgotdepth New Member

I checked the logitech site.
    It doesn't look like this is possible.
    But.
    How can I print with gtv?
    thank you.
    dan

2. harley man

harley man New Member

no you can not as of now but maybe when the app maket opens up you can copy and paste then email to your self or save in google doc . then you can print latte on when have a way to do so to copy highlight then ctrl +c to paste ctrl +v

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  3. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Think this is a real possibility in the future, yet this year with updates to GTV.

4. galfert

galfert Active Member

Google also has "cloud print" services. But I tried it and it didn't work for Google TV (although it works for Android phones). Hopefully a future update might let Google Cloud Print work.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Is the answer to printing using Google TV still a no? I just sat down to see if I could install a wireless printer using Google Cloud printing but didn't get very far before trying to find out if it is possible.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The caveat is that you need a Google Cloud Ready printer in order to print without a computer. At the moment, only Hewlett Packard printers with ePrint capabilities are Google Cloud Ready Printers, which coincidentally also happen to be the only iOS AirPrint capable printers as well. Otherwise, you need to run Google Chrome 9.059.7.1 or greater with Windows XP or Mac 10.5 or above to share your computer's "classic printers".

Once you have your Google Cloud Printer setup, you can go into Connect a printer to Google Cloud Print web page and press the "Print a test page" button from your Google TV device. This will print a test page, so the capacity to print from Google TV does exist. It's just not fully implemented for Google TV yet, as you can tell by not being able to Cloud Print from Google Docs. And, I haven't seen the "Print" button with the Google Cloud Print logo on any web page which allegedly allows me to print from any device without leaving the browser.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  7. galfert

galfert Active Member

Google Cloud Print services still do not work on Google TV because Google TV has Chrome based on Chrome 5. Cloud Print was not introduced until Chrome 8. Perhaps when we get the Honeycomb update it might work. There is a leaked Honeycomb for Google TV that some people have installed. It would be good to hear from those people if Google Cloud Print works.

FYI: The way Google Cloud Print works (using a classic printer) is by first configuring the Chrome Browser on a PC/Mac and adding your printer to the Cloud Print services manager on the computer. Then another device logged in with the same Google account theoretically can print to that printer that you set up to be shared on the cloud. The printer remains only directly connected to the computer and the computer must remain on in order for Cloud Print services to work. I think the Chrome browser on the computer has to be up and running too but I'm not sure on that bit.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Fixed. Remember, cloud printing is supposed to be available, "On any web page, if you see a "Print" button with the Google Cloud Print logo, you can print without leaving your browser."

$Google Cloud Print 1 of 2.jpg $Google Cloud Print 2 of 2.jpg $Google Cloud Print 3 of 3.jpg

Yes, it does. Though when you enable Google Cloud Print Services, "chrome.exe" remains as a running process even if you close the window; unless you force close it through the Task Manager. This allows the Google Cloud Print to work with your "classic printer" without the Chrome browser window being opened. If chrome.exe isn't running on your computer then your print jobs remain in the cloud queue until it is running.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I was playing around with Google Cloud Print when I realized that my iPad can print to it as well. Tinkering with the Google TV's Chrome user-agent allowed me to print from both "docs.google.com" and "mail.google.com"

Here's how I did it:

1. Setup Google Cloud Print from a PC or Mac
    2. Open up the Chrome browser from within Google TV
    3. Open up "GTV Menu", and select "Settings"
    4. Advance, Mode: "Custom", "Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B334b Safari/531.21.10"
    5. Reboot Google TV device, [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del]
    6. Now go to "docs.google.com" or "mail.google.com" and open up one of your documents
    7. In the upper-right side of the screen is a "double chevron symbol" it then select "Print"
    8. Log into your Google Cloud Print account if prompted
    9. Select Printer and press "Print" in the lower left-hand of the screen.
    10. Go grab your print job.
    11. Toggle your User Agent back to "Default" if you're done printing.**
    12. Toggle your User Agent back to "Custom" when you want to print again.**
    **Rebooting is not necessary if you haven't changed text in Custom box. You can always verify your current user-agent by going to the Whats My User Agent? webpage.

10. ChrisG8

Eferz thanks for the detailed instructions, I will give it a shot when I get time.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in Google Cloud Print, ePrint, or AirPrint without the requirement of a computer, there's some pretty sweet deals going. The OfficeJet 6500A (E710a, no WiFi or duplexer) is currently on sale at HP for $99 from a MSRP of $149.99. Best Buy and Newegg had sold out theirs at $74.99 but Directron still has some stock. LiveHotDeals has a special which you can get the printer along with a ream of paper for about $77.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

My HP OfficeJet 6500A printer arrived today. Got it setup on the PC, configured ePrint and setup Google Cloud Printing. I decided to go ahead and delete the "Classic" Cloud Printers and disabled the service from the Chrome browser entirely. Afterwards, I shut off the PC, walked into the bedroom, switch the user agent on the Sony Internet TV, and printed a document from Google Docs. By the time, I got back into my office the job had already printed. Yay!

By the way, has anyone notice the new option in Google Cloud Print to "Save your document as a PDF in Google Docs"? It works pretty well. That was something that I missed doing way back when I had a licensed copy of Adobe PDF writer. Its nice to see it as a free option in Google Cloud Print. I'll probably be using that a lot more than printing hard copies.

$Photo Aug 29, 7 46 19 PM.jpg

Another nice feature is that the printer is given an @hpeprint.com email address. So, you don't necessarily need Google to fix their web pages or update the chrome browser to support printing through Google TV. All you need to do is send the document as an attachment to your HP Printer's email address and it will print it for you. Quite a nifty little feature in my opinion, and it works in Google Docs without having to change your user-agent to imitate an iPad.

Speaking of which... Airprint worked as expected from the iPad and the iPhone. It's an Apple product, so I wasn't worried about the implementation. In fact, I didn't even have to setup anything to use it. It just worked as naturally as one would expect. I doubt many of you care but its worth pointing out since this printer supports PC-less printing for many devices. Besides, some of us don't enjoy working in homogeneous environments, as it tends to put blinders on peoples' knowledge and opinion.

13. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

So is it possible to currently print with the HP Officejet 6500A with just Google TV alone (without a computer)? Or will this ability be forthcoming with the Honeycomb update?

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, as I have done it. Even wrote about it. Heck it is the post right above yours. But for clarification sake, printing from Google Docs or Gmail to a HP Officejet 6500A works with Google TV without a PC or MAC through HP's ePrint (natively) and Google Cloud Print (with user-agent change).

I don't know. Honestly, they don't need to alter the Revue to software to support Cloud Printing. They just need to fix the web pages which they want to support it. I've already proven that with a simple user-agent change that you can print to Google Cloud Print from the iPad version of the Google Docs website. This is because the iPad version of Google Docs allows Google Cloud Printing, so you can literally disguise your Google TV as an iPad then print from Google Docs through Google Cloud Print.

Although, Google can make the ability to print more universally accessible on Google TV by adding pseudo print drivers to the OS which redirect print jobs to the Google Cloud Print service. That way you can print any page by pressing [Ctrl]+[P] or use a webpage's "print this page" widget.

15. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah I had read your previous post that you had turned off your computer and printed with it - but I was just a bit unclear if the computer was required to first configure/set up the function in some way before turning off the computer - as you had indicated that at first you used your computer to set it up and configure it in some way. Ok all is good -:)

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Ahh, I get your point. Well, I fully intend to use the scanner which is why I set up the printer with my computer first. However, if you don't have a computer at all, you can setup the ePrint by printing out the configuration page from its touch screen panel then going to the website and registering it. Once you have ePrint configured and your HP ePrint address assigned, then you can enable Google Cloud Print by registering your printer's @hpeprint.com address. If all you going to do is use Airprint, then all you would need to do is turn it on and plug it into your network.

You know what's funny? This printer has more apps available to it than Google TV does. lol

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  17. ChrisG8

I have a 25% off coupon for HP products, not sure if it works with the recommended printer or not but I am going to check right now, might order one if it does.

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

FYI, both Newegg and Directron currently have stock of the printer and still sells for $74.99 which is still less expensive than buying it through HP (50% off of the MSRP is a pretty good deal).

Also, this blog explains how to setup Google Cloud Print with an ePrint compatible printer without a PC: How to Enable Google Cloud Print on HP Eprint Set Up Activation

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  19. ChrisG8

If it was avaiable for $99 from HP and my 25% coupon worked, I would get it for $75 at HP. Two things went wrong, first it is $149 at HP and second, my coupon doesn't work for that item. The Newegg deal sounds great, thanks.

20. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yeah, sorry about that. The link for LiveHotDeals was doing the same thing through HP's store, except it was a $30 off coupon instead of a 25% discount. Unfortunately, the sale at HP only lasted till the end of this past weekend.