Quantcast

Can Google TV smoothly stream 1080p content?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by klosterdev, Apr 5, 2012.

1. klosterdev

klosterdev New Member

Hi, I have a Sony Google TV and I'm trying to stream a 9312 kbps .mpg video file from my computer across my network to my TV. When I play it, it skips frames. I have a wireless N network, and Tomato (firmware software) says that my TV has a perfect 300/300 TX/RX rate. My computer it outputting through a gigabit ethernet port, into a gigabit port on my router. Just to see if that was the problem, I disabled my ethernet card and ran it through a wireless N card to see if it was acting like a 10/100 or something, but I had the exact same problem. (the computer is right next to the router so wireless speed isn't an issue on that end) This was all done with no other activity on the network.

tl;dr, do you think it's a bandwidth issue (do I need to run a super-long Cat 5e cable across the apartment to the ethernet port) or is the TV's processor unable to handle streaming video at that bitrate?

2. dpointer

dpointer New Member

I have lots of my 1080p home movies stored on my computer. I play them on my Sony NSX40GT1 with no problems at all. But I'm using a wired network connection (Cat5E thru a gigabit switch). I'd say it's your wireless connection and not the TV.

3. skirk08

skirk08 New Member

I have a NSZ-GT1. I have no problem streaming full BD rips via the Plex app. One movie I'm looking at right now is 33.4 Mbps. However, I don't use wireless. Everything is connected via Cat6 cables.

4. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

I stream 1080 HD over my wireless network no problems... and that's with a wireless router that has done it's time. I suspect there is maybe a codec issue at work here. Can you maybe find a video file encoded differently but at the same quality/rate?

5. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

Your problem is more than likely the mp4 file. Especially considering that there was no change when you switched streaming topology methids.

In my experience, some files encoded with some settings don't play nice with Google TV. I would suggest playing around with your encoding settings (if you search the site, there are several tried and tested encoding settings published) and when you first d one that works, rencode all your files exactly the same.

Sent using TapaTalk

6. twiz

twiz New Member

I stream 1080p movies (mostly mastroska) files over upnp from my PS3 Media Server to my Logitech Revue via a wired connection. I use Avia on my Google TV to access my servers. My servers have transcoding disabled, so make sure if you are running any type of transcoding to check the buffer settings.

My setup runs without a hitch; the ONLY time I ever experienced buffer issues was when I connected a media hard drive to an old computer that only had USB 1.0 and tried to stream it. USB 1.0 is definitely bad for HD, so also check your USB connections if your media is connected this way.

Unfortunately, the lack of DTS support on my Logitech means I normally use my Asus O!play instead to watch my DTS movies.