Quantcast

Can Co-Star control Directv via HDMI

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by cpbergie, Jan 17, 2013.

1. cpbergie

cpbergie New Member

When i had my Logitech Review, i could control my Directv receiver and my Denon Amp over hdmi. I cant seem to do this with the Co-Star. I can control the Directv receiver via IR, and i can even control it using the android Google TV app, but only if the remote is pointed at the DTV box. I also tried using able remote and it wouldn't control the DTV box at all.

Is the functionality not there with the Co-Star, or does it HAVE to communicate through the remote using IR?

2. yorT

yorT New Member

That's one of the biggest gripes I have with the co-star. The only way to control your DVR with the co star is to point your remote directly at it. I find it very annoying.

Anyone know if there are other remote control options?

3. cpbergie

cpbergie New Member

Wow, that seems weird that the revue has that functionality, and the costar doesnt. Whats the point of the HDMI-CEC settings then? Or does it control some other devices and just not DVRs?

4. hoggdoc

hoggdoc New Member

Sure you could use a IR extender, they generally are more sensitive than the IR ports on various devices. Just put the IR receiver in an area central to your viewing area and it should resolve you issues. Also you can put your equipment behind closed doors too. IR Repeater Kit, 4 Dual Emitters (Control 8 Hidden Devices) - SW-29780, $29.49

Also there is a new device to inject IR over any HDMI connection, this maybe an even better solution: Sewell InjectIR, IR over HDMI for Remote Controls - SW-29660, $44.95

Please note the links are only suggestions and note recommendations as there are many devices of this type on the market....

• Like Like x 2
  5. cpbergie

cpbergie New Member

So what does the HDMI-CEC option on the CoStar actually do?

6. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

The Revue did not control anything over HDMI. It has IR blasters in the front corners and the front middle which controlled your devices.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

He can confirm that by blocking the transmitters on the front of the box and by disconnecting the blaster, if connected. The Logitech Revue is still unequaled by any Google TV box as far as IR control of other devices in my opinion and although I don't own the Vizio Co-Star with the limitation of remote IR control, I see it as the most limited of all Google TV devices in that regard. Despite the complaints about use of IR blasters and how ugly that solution is, it has worked well for me.

8. cpbergie

cpbergie New Member

I had my receiver and dtv box in a different cabinets and the revue would control the volume on the receiver and change the channel on the DTV box. I dont think it was over IR. But regardless, if everything is going over IR, then what is the HDMI-CEC setting on the Costar for?

9. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

Just what you think its for. Revue didnt have CEC though.

10. cpbergie

cpbergie New Member

Well, you were right. I switched my DTV receiver to RF and the revue couldn't control it anymore. This actually makes me more impressed with the IR on the Revue.

I guess i just don't understand what CEC on the costar can do. I must be missing something.

11. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

This is why the Revue will always be the best GTV box to me. They did it right, just really bad software on it.
    CEC on the newer boxes isn't really working very well and most people turn it off to get rid of some of the issues it's causing. It 'should' control the devices connected to it but they all have to talk the same language and it seems the GTV's aren't. I still think it may be because the new boxes are designed (hardware wise, Marvell) for GTV3 and I hope that will fix a whole lot of problems. Unfortunately this may not be the case with the Costar since it was really a GTV2 device. We'll see.