Quantcast

Can anyone answer a few questions about Nexus Player/Android TV?

Discussion in 'Android TV' started by Tye, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Tye

Tye Member

Hi All,

I'm seriously considering the Nexus Player to replace my beloved (but cranky & aging) Revue. Forgive me, I'm sure the answers are out there somewhere but I'm still unclear on a few things:
    1. On the Nexus Player, can the microUSB port be used to hook up an external hard drive? Or, even better, a USB hub?
    2a. I'd want to hook up my Revue's keyboard if possible with a spare Logitech dongle I have laying around. Has anyone tried this?
    2b. Do the standard media keys on a keyboard work largely as expected?
    2c. If the Revue keyboard won't work, will any standard BT keyboard/mouse combo work?
    3. Does Android TV even accept keyboard/mouse input? I hope it's like Google TV. Personally, I am quite happy with the Revue's keyboard/trackpad combo.
    4. Does the user have access to Android system volume? My home setup is annoying in that each device needs to be able to control its own volume. :rolleyes:
    5. I've read mixed reports: Is it possible to sideload Chrome and the old Flash apk? If not, maybe something more limited like Opera Mini? I don't browse on my TV often but there are times when it's handy.
    6. Can we add YouTube videos (live streams) directly to the home page? (important for my in-laws).
    7. Last pie-in-the-sky question: Is there a USB IR *blaster* that works with the Nexus Player?

Thanks for reading. I bet half of these are unanswerable... I just can't decide to wait on a newer Android TV model or buy the Nexus Player. My Revue is running into so many memory issues it's almost unusable and I don't have time to rebuild it every three days.

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're going to end up answering your own questions. I'd say definite maybe on pretty much all your questions, though. :)

Actually, #6 may be problematic. I'm not sure they'll give you that much control over the home screen to actually pin a channel/stream/shortcut/etc.

You don't care about content?

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Member

I would have a ? on # 6 as well. I think all other ?'s are doable. I would think some smart Developer will exploit this box and have root available as well.

4. Tye

Tye Member

Yeah, since my Revue decided to keep crashing every day I switched to my old XBMC set up, which I hate. When I saw that the Nexus Player was "in stock" for a moment I jumped on it. November's fun money, I suppose.

You nailed my concern about pinning exactly -- how much control will we get over the home screen. If we don't have direct control over it like I want, maybe some enterprising dev will write some sort of bookmark app. Some app that can start other programs and send Android Intents messages into the system. I guess we'll see. It's hard to find this information even with the ADT-1s out there. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to dig into the dev environment right now, myself.

I don't understand your question about content?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  5. jonw747

My concern with content is that other than Google Play and YouTube, it's not clear at this point what this streaming box will be able to stream. Google didn't even bother to make a list on their product page let alone a comparison chart like Amazon did when they released the Fire TV.

With the FireTV there's a means to sideload an alternate launcher, and that doesn't even require root unless you wish to make it permanent. That may ultimately be the solution for customizing the home screen, but just a lot of guessing at this point.

6. Tye

Tye Member

Ahh, I see. For the most part I think (for my needs) it will be alright.
    Netflix, DramaFever, YouTube, and Google Play Music are 80+% of my viewing needs and already have Android TV apps.
    I already spoke with the developer of Mizuu and he's working on a new version with Material and Android TV updates. That handles my Movies local drive.
    XBMC can fill in a few gaps as much as I hate it as my main platform.
    I watch a lot of Asian television via a browser so I really hope we can get Chrome and Flash working like on my tablet. If not, I bet there will be at least one decent RTMP viewer available after launch.
    Finally, for the few things my paid services don't catch there's the 1channel app.

I don't mind spending time setting things up initially. I just don't want to babysit my system constantly and I want quick simple access to things once I have them working. (like specific YouTube live streams on my homescreen).

7. jonw747

Ahh, I was wrong. the Nexus Player – Google page does list some streaming Apps including NetFlix, HuluPlus, Crackle, FoodTV, HGTV, but it's also missing a number of heavy hitters like Amazon, Pandora, the various cable movie networks, sports networks/services, .

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I believe you will able to use a USB keyboard & mouse - or a keyboard with trackpad. However IMO a USB web-cam is doubtful. There was an article a while back that mentioned that as a platform the Android TV OS doesn't support USB webcams. However it's possible that certain Android TV devices could specifically support webcams (in a proprietary manner such as the Logitech Revue did).

IMO you will be able to download the Chrome Beta app with the Nexus TV player. However it's not optimized for TV and there could be some scaling issues. You'll need to use a mouse or keyboard w/ trackpad.

I'm doubtful any of the Flash workarounds (aside from using a powerful PC with Splashtop) will produce results that you are likely to be pleased with. GTV used a special version of Flash designed for TVs - and the Flash workarounds use a mobile version of Flash (that isn't optimized for TVs). These kind of workarounds were tried on the GTV Jellybean televisions and I've yet to see one user report that were satisfied with the results. You can also try screen casting from another device to your android TV (instead of a dedicated Android TV browser). I'm not sure if that will work with every web site and how good the quality will be.

9. jonw747

I've used the flash work around on the fire TV. It seems to work fine with Dolphin, but it's not something I rely on, but keep in mind ... the Fire TV is based on JellyBean. Has there even been a flash work around for KitKat? Let alone Lollipop?

10. CatfishRivers

I was thinking a web browser that uses a cloud solution for Flash such as the Puffin browser would 'work' with Android TV - however the video quality would probably be sub-par:

Puffin Web Browser - The fastest mobile browser with Flash support over cloud on iPad iPhone and Android.

I'm not sure about the other method which entails installing both Firefox and a Flash APK. Both methods were tried on GTV televisions running the Jellybean OS and the results weren't good. The cloud-based solution was reported to work a bit better than the Firefox with Flash APK method.

11. CatfishRivers

Here's another browser called "Flash-Fox" that also uses a cloud based Flash solution. It says that they now support Android L:

FlashFox - Flash Browser - Android Apps on Google Play

12. jonw747

Gotcha.

I went with Dolphin because they seem to be aware that people want Flash support. It looks like someone at XDA even got it working under KitKat:

How to install Flash Player on any Android KitKat Phone - Dolphin s Free Mobile Web Browser

13. Tye

Tye Member

Great information about Flash. Thank you. I hope it continues to work. Free cloud based Flash players have never been too reliable in my experience.

It sounds like it's time for me to locate a Micro USB A to Micro USB B cable. I've never seen one up close but I am working on the assumption that the Nexus Player uses USB host like the Nexus 4 & 5 phones... There doesn't seem to be any other reason to include a USB port on the Nexus Player.

14. Tye

Tye Member

One more question if anyone runs across this: Has anyone tried installing Tasker on their ADT-1? Oooh, the pain of anticipation.

15. jonw747

It's probably a USB-on-the-go port. I'm not sure, but you may need a specific OTG cable.

16. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Member

I would think the USB port can be used to attach a hard drive. Just a guess....

17. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

Catfish I hope that's a great solution..as you know as well as I do..most of them games we were use to playing on gtv,flash went bye bye..

I was just starting to show my niece a new game for girls,and google kissed flash/adobe bye bye..

hope we don't have any hiccups on the atv

18. salmast

salmast New Member