Quantcast

Camera only used with Logitech software?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by lardo5150, Nov 20, 2011.

1. lardo5150

lardo5150 New Member

alright alright, last one for the night, promise.....

I can only make/recieve calls from someone using the logitech software correct?

Skype is not supported, and I cant call my buddy who would use facetime?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes.

Correct. However, Logitech Vid is available to download free to anyone and is compatible with a lot of webcams (including ones not made by Logitech).

3. DCAlexandria

DCAlexandria Member

But theoretically a Skype app might happen using the revue ?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The possibility exists but the probability doesn't. Logitech has not offered public documentation of how to interface with their video conferencing platform. Therefore a third-party developer interested in creating an app for the Revue and TV Cam would need to create a formal business relationship with Logitech. I think this would be an opportunity for Logitech to leverage their video conferencing hardware to gain an additional revenue through licensing. However, I am not sure how much third-party developers would be willing to invest in both licensing and development for a discontinued platform.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

If Google would update their GTV android platform to include camera support (I had read that they are working on it) - then wouldn't anyone with that update from Google be able to use a webcam through the USB port?

Although depending on how far out in the future this finally happens - Revue owners might not be receiving the updates anymore. -:(

Also I would imagine that since the special Revue webcam comes with it's own processor - that (if camera support comes to GTV in the future) - using an HD webcam would probably not be practical with the Revue (due to the limitations of the Revue processor)?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The compatibility will still be dependent on which hardware they choose and how they implement it. Remember USB "Plug & Play" for all computers including the Revue needs to associate the USB identifiers of the device with the correct drivers in the operating system

Yes, at least if they want to support smooth HD resolutions then they'd definitely need to off-load the encoding from the CPU. However, I'm not sure what resolution the processor would actually start to choke. However, if you ever tried to encoding something, you'd know that's one of the most resource intensive process that you can perform on a computer. Well, that or playing Battlefield with 3x1080p screens with all the eye candy at max.

7. galfert

galfert Active Member

Too bad Logitech's Vid HD application is not available for Android phones and tablets. Logitech should get on this.