Quantcast

CableCARD and Bluray on Google TV?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by prchohan, Aug 9, 2011.

1. prchohan

prchohan New Member

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the CableCARD integration in Google TV. I know it's not possible now but with new tuners (HDHomeRun Prime and InfiniTV 4 USB CableCARD tuner) popping up, is this something that I can at least dream of? I have a Windows Media Center 7 with ATI CableCARD tuners and am very interested in switching to Google TV in near future. But I don't want a bulky STB from Comcast (have gotten used to CableCARDs). To have this support, does Google need to go thru the licensing process or will it have to be OEMs like Logitech or Sony?

Also, any chance we may see built in Bluray drives in future?

Any news/insights/comments will be much appreciated!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Regarding Blu-Ray drives the Sony NSZ-GT1 is the only one which comes with Google TV.

USB TV Tuners are currently out of the question as Google TV does not have any the drivers to support them. In order for this to occur most likely a preexisting CableCARD or TV Tuner manufacturer would probably need to create a partnership with either Google, Logitech, or Sony. As far as future support and compatibility, only time will tell.

Btw, just in case you're interested in Kworld makes an small external ATSC/Clear QAM tuner which supports HDMI out. The Logitech Revue can control it since the IR codes are supported in Harmony Database. Plus, its only $70 on Newegg.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. prchohan

prchohan New Member

Thanks a lot eferz.