Quantcast

Cable Show 2013: LG Enters The Cable Box Biz

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Cable Show 2013: LG Enters the Cable Box Biz | Cable Television News | Broadcast Syndication | Programming | Multichannel.com (click for full article)

by Jeff Baumgartner - June 10, 2013

"Washington -- LG Electronics is looking to add some retail flash as it reengages with the cable industry in a big way here this week at The Cable Show.

The consumer electronics giant has launched lineup of IP-connected devices, including models that use its own NetCast Smart TV operating system and the Google TV OS and are designed to blend cable-supplied, live subscription TV services, VOD and whole-home DVR capabilities with over-the-top apps from Hulu, Vudu, and YouTube and other sources.

LG said it will use DLNA-complaint boxes to connect to a home video gateway in order to receive terrestrial or pay TV programming and video-on-demand, meaning that none of the new LG devices appear to be outfitted with CableCARD slots. LG is wrapping all apps and services within its own user interface.

LG has previously developed TVs with CableCARD slots, a move that enabled those HDTV models to support subscription digital cable TV services (but not cable VOD) without a separate set-top box. Monday's announcement offers a clear indicator that the consumer electronics giant has completely reengaged with the cable industry.

LG is entering the show here with a family of seven different devices, including set-top models that are capable of supporting downloadable security and Ultra HD/4K video.

-- IPTV Set-Top: In addition to cable-supplied live video and VOD, LG said the device supports Google TV outfitted with the Google Play app store, Google Chrome browser, and integrated home monitoring and automation capabilities.

-- Android Mini-Box/Dongle: A media player with the Jelly Bean 4.2.2. operating systems with on-board 802.11ac Wi-Fi for HD streaming to devices hanging off the wireless home network.

-- NetCast OTT Set-Top: Offers live linear, VOD and DVR and OTT fare, and uses LG's DLNA-compliant "Smart Share" technology for accessing protected content over a home network.

-- Ultra HD Set-Top: Adds 4K reception and playback via a 1.2 GHz quad-core processor, HEVC compression, with support for DOCSIS 3.0 and the 2.0 version of the Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA), a home networking platform that supports speeds up to 800 Mbps.

-- Next-Generation "OpenTV 5" IP Set-Top: Combines an IP-capable box with Nagra's OpenTV 5 middleware and conditional access protection, 802.11n for file sharing with a home gateway.

-- "Low-Cost" MPEG-4 Cable Set-Top: Device will support "downloadable conditional access security."

-- Wi-Fi Dongle: Allows users with Miracast smartphones to "mirror" the phone's screen directly onto the big screen TV over a Wi-Fi connection.

A company spokeswoman said the LG-made Google TV STB is available today, while the Netcast IP box will become available in the second half of 2013. The company said it "has the flexibility and relationships to distribute most of these devices through retail or to service providers." However, LG did not announce any distribution relationships Monday.

The LG official added that final pricing will be determined by individual service provider volumes and final feature sets.

"Consumers are seeking ways to get all of their subscription-based services, cable feeds and video-on-demand in one place, and they want options that feel natural to them," Kurt Hoppe, director of smart TV innovation and new business for LG Electronics USA said, in a statement. "With LG's portfolio of set-top boxes and open Smart TV platforms, cable operators have a comprehensive response that will satisfy subscribers' entertainment needs now and in the future."

At the show, LG said it will also demo premium cable apps and services running on LG Smart TVs and smartphones, including Rogers Communications' authenticated Anyplace TV service and HBO GO."

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

WOW -:) LG just announced an impressive list of new devices! This one is of particular interest:

"IPTV Set-Top: In addition to cable-supplied live video and VOD, LG said the device supports Google TV outfitted with the Google Play app store, Google Chrome browser, and integrated home monitoring and automation capabilities."

Has anyone heard anything about this new IPTV set-top box that supports Google TV?

3. CatfishRivers

Light Reading - LG Shows Off Its Cable Credentials (click for full article)

by Mari Silbey - June 10, 2013

"WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Cable Show -- Consumer electronics giant LG Electronics plans to use its maiden appearance on the Cable Show exhibition floor to unveil a slew of new set-top boxes and smart TV applications and establish itself as a serious cable industry player.LG will launch a range of products here Monday, including IP set-tops, an MPEG-4 QAM set-top, TV dongles and an Ultra HD gateway server. In addition, the company will run several demonstrations that highlight the integration of LG smart TVs with cable-specific applications.

LG's massive presence at this year's show -- including its designation as the show's "official smart TV partner" -- suggests just how much potential the hardware manufacturer sees in the cable industry. As pay-TV services and OTT video continue to converge, LG is looking at new opportunities to establish itself in the center of the consumer's connected home.

Set-top boxes galore

LG has two new IP set-tops to talk about. One is designed for the cable industry's dreaded Google TV, but will provide MSOs the option to offer access to linear and VOD content alongside Google's Android applications. The thinking behind this is that cable operators can not only combine their services with OTT applications, but can also offer subscribers the ability to shuttle content between their smartphones and flat-screen TVs.

The other IP set-top works with LG's own NetCast television operating system (which is likely to get a WebOS update next year), is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) compliant, and again can support OTT video along with operator-delivered linear and VOD content.

The NetCast box and the Google TV set-top both support whole-home DVR, gaming, and "other cloud services."

4. CatfishRivers

So what I gather from the articles is that the GTV IPTV set-top box is offered through TV providers (and not sold at retail directly to customers). I wonder what TV providers will carry this box? Also interesting that LG has come out with a Jellybean "android dongle". It seems as though LG is covering all their bases.

5. CatfishRivers

So how do most GTV users feel about these new LG products? I'm curious to know if most here are cord-cutters and would shun an IPTV Google TV box in favor of something like an android Jellybean dongle? Or do you prefer the traditional GTV set-top box offered at retail such as the Vizio Co-Star and Sony NSZ-GS7?

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think LG is doing what Google should have done after the Motorola Mobility acquisition. I will have to wait to see specifics but I expect the LG Google TV boxes to be the best available STB for the cable TV services that will offer the products. An OTA DVR with Google TV built in would be more to my liking but I don't think there is a big enough market for that product to make any sense.

I had read little snippets that the Korean Google TV models were doing well but without any specifics and if that is true, that must be the impetus for the US Google TV model.

7. CatfishRivers

But I wonder what TV providers have actually signed on to offer the IPTV box? My ISP is Comcast - can I call Comcast today and order this box?

This seems to be the same paradigm that we discussed in the off-topic section about the "Fan TV" box - in that it will only be successful if the TV providers embrace it.

8. ChrisG8

You can sure call and ask Comcast for an LG cable box with Google TV, find the proper model number as soon as that is available. I don't know which cable companies are going to offer the LG cable boxes, hopefully many will and I don't know what LG can do if few or none decide to offer the boxes. The problem with making a Google TV version something that will just be given to customers that don't request it, it is too difficult for many customers to use. I think at this point, it needs to be available for customers that request it only.

9. ChrisG8

This quote from the link in the first post, from an LG representative:

I can't find evidence of that yet.

10. CatfishRivers

It could be that LG means it's available today to TV providers - but that's not the same thing as being available to consumers -:)

11. ChrisG8

Ha, OK. Those tricky cable companies will buy them all and not let consumers get their hands on them.

12. CatfishRivers

IMO the fact that they are "available" today means exactly that. They are "available" to TV providers - but no mention that any TV provider has actually bought any or signed on yet. Just "available".

13. ChrisG8

I know what you are saying but a consumer product that isn't yet available to consumers, isn't properly described as available today. When consumers can order it or go to their cable company and pick one up, that is when it can be described as available. If LG has no agreements in place with any cable company to offer the device, then it isn't available today and LG understands that, the rep was either misquoted or misspoke.

14. CatfishRivers

Well I will keep searching and if I find any information about specific cable companies signing up for the GTV IPTV device I'll post it here....... And if anyone else comes across any information please post.

15. drhill

drhill Member

I don't want to cut cable (sports!), but I do want to stop renting boxes from them. IPTV or a Gateway (cablecard which isn't IPTV, or IPTV) that talks to client boxes is fine for me. I would love to get a bigger box with blu ray and smaller boxes without which also do cable tv, netflix, amazon, and plex/xbmc.

It would be nice if there were google tv boxes (dongles) that could hide behind a thin flat screen that could do this for my bedroom tvs via ethernet.

16. ChrisG8

17. CatfishRivers

IMO this statement from the article will be very problematic for "control-hungry" companies such as Comcast:

"LG's Google TV-based IPTV STB supports services including live TV, VOD, a Chrome web browser and access to the Google Play store. "

IMO Comcast would want very strict control over the entire deal. This would mean only apps that Comcast specifically approves of would be allowed (not the entire Google Play Store). I also see a full Chrome browser as being "problematic" through Comcast's way of thinking. Why wouldn't Comcast just come out with their own IPTV box and offer/control it exactly as they want?

18. CatfishRivers

LG Electronics Unveils Smart Set-Top Boxes to Address Growing Consumer Content Demand | CSR News - Justmeans

From the article:

"In addition to the new smart set-top boxes, LG is also demonstrating premium cable services on LG Smart TVs and smartphones. Real-world applications include a "catch-up TV" service from Rogers Anyplace TV including a user interface optimized for the intuitive LG Magic Remote".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rogers Anyplace TV platform is the only TV provider that I have seen mentioned by name in the articles thus far. Rogers is in Canada - and I believe their Anyplace TV app has a new version optimized for LG Smart TVs. No word on if Rogers is participating with the GTV IPTV box.

I am curious to know if the new Rogers Anyplace TV app for LG Smart TVs is compatible with the LG Google TV televisions?

IMO Time Warner has been the cable TV company most open to live programming via IPTV platform. So if a cable company embraces the LG GTV IPTV box my guess is that Time Warner would be among the first.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/27/time-warner-cable-twc-tv-roku/

19. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cable TV set up above photo ....!

[​IMG]

OTA set up above photo ....!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the music you will ever need .... Got "Spotify" too ...!

[​IMG]

You can even play Games ....!

The best cable TV box/DVR,I have ever had is the Tivo Premiere Series 4 boxes .... Comcast/Xfinity, Time Warner, Cox Cable and all other cable providers doesn't have a cable box or DVR that can out do the Tivo Premiere Series 4 boxes, it even has Hulu Plus, OTA set up and more ... The Tivo Premiere Series 4 boxes RULES ....(lol)

*DLNA: (NONE ON THE TIVO) What are you talking about Willis ...!

DLNA on the Tivo Premiere Series 4 boxes, that what I got "StreamBaby Stream" for to access all the "MultiMedia" on my home network, works like charm via my Tivo Premiere Series 4 boxes ...

Yeah more than one way to skin a cat, it's in my DLNA ....(l0l)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  20. CatfishRivers

I just thought of something. Google's own Fiber TV initiative in Kansas City didn't even incorporate Google TV into their TV service. I wonder why not? And if Google themselves shunned it - then isn't it a bit of a stretch to believe that Comcast and their pals will embrace it with open arms?

Just food for thought.....