Quantcast

Cable Integration in Canada

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by chris24man, Aug 11, 2012.

1. chris24man

chris24man New Member

I just got a GS7 from Best Buy here in Canada and have a question about the cable integration. I've got Telus Optik TV and the programming doesn't integrate into the search function. I also don't have the custom Movies & TV guide. There's a Watch TV icon but that's just a straight feed to the Telus STB.

Does anybody know if there's support for Telus or any other Canadian service providers? I may just be setting it up wrong.

2. chopper

chopper Active Member

Perhaps something will be released on Aug. 13th which is the launch date in Canada to make this work. Is there a spot to enter your postal code on your GTV settings located in your Apps?

Some dev may come up with a custom App for Canada that integrates with the App below.

Let us know how this works as a side loaded App:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6d1bckk2ykxogtx/TV%20%26%20Movies-15.apk

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  3. chris24man

chris24man New Member

Thanks for the reply Chopper.

The setup doesn't have anywhere to enter a Postal Code. When I setup my TV through the settings I can enter my service provider and model number. The remote controls everything fine but it doesn't ask for a Postal Code.

I sideloaded the TV & Movies app and it boots up but just says "Please configure a compatible TV service".

Weird that the launch date is the 13th and Best Buy is selling it already. Compatibility with the cable providers is pretty important so hopefully Google/Sony have it for the launch.

Any other suggestions in the meantime would be appreciated.

4. chopper

chopper Active Member

I have a USA box and it's a wait and see thing as far as I am concerned. If we do not get cable support in Canada then the only alternative would be to sign up for a USA satalight cable provider and get a USA Google TV off ebay. Perhaps someone in a post root environment can get an EPG App up and running on GTV and integrated with the Movies and TV App.

But just to be sure look again in your All Apps for Settings and change TV source and change Date, time, location! Just to be clear it is the location setting that accepts a USA postal code. I can only currently get it working for a location that isn't mine and a cable provider from the USA which gives me a preview of how it works but is useless as the channels listed do not coincide with mine.

Also check out every section of the settings carefully as it may be hidden in there somewhere or it may show up on Aug. 13th.

I can tell you that a country change option has recently shown up on the Revue that may be activated to allow me to switch my country to Canada or not.

5. chris24man

chris24man New Member

There isn't a location setting or postal code setting anywhere in the options. There's a Language option that doesn't actually have an English(Canada) option, only Francais(Canada) or English(US).

I'm hoping everything isn't functioning right because it hasn't officially launched yet here. When I go into my Date & Time options there aren't any Postal Code or Location options at all. Also, every time I turn off the box the Date & Time reset to October 2010 and a window pops up saying the Date & Time is incorrect.

There was a firmware updated the first time I booted yesterday but there hasn't been one since. Maybe there will be on or before the 13th to get it to function properly here.

6. chopper

chopper Active Member

Perhaps the date, time and location will show up soon. If not in a firmware update then perhaps in a Settings update so be sure to keep watching for updates to the apps as well on the far left of the GTV screen. Keep us posted.

7. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

I'm almost certain they are no plan for the gtv to search into cable info in canada. Sony did it the easy way with a lighter version of the gtv for canada. We have the same functionality as if we import the box directly from the state (tv and movie don't work, and we cannot search into the cable schedule.) No where on my box or doc i can see anything regarding this fuctionnality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jesseps

jesseps New Member

I do hope that feature shows up soon :(

9. chris24man

chris24man New Member

In the picture on the Canadian Sony site TV results show in the search. They probably just used the US images without double checking the content though.

It seems like a pretty big feature to remove. Do the UK units have it?

10. chopper

chopper Active Member

We won't know for sure until Aug 13th!

11. chris24man

chris24man New Member

6:00pm here on the Westcoast and nothing yet.

The Sony Canada site changed the ship date for online orders to August 15th. Wishful thinking but maybe they pushed the launch date back.

12. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

2 days is Sony's lead time for weborders, this morning ( 14th) the ship date has been moved to 16 th.

13. caines

caines New Member

when i talked to a sony rep at a sony store he said as to date august 13. they had no knowledge of the tv and movies app being included, so i doubt the tv integration will be something that will be included any time soon. the device was officially released last week Wednesday as well. if you need cable integration immediately to be a factor in you keeping the devices then u might consider returning it.

14. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

I saw a demo on youtube of the gtv done by a Sony canada employee and at some point he say that sony has now an agreement with dish and Bell canada but without giving any other explaination. I hope if they release the tv & movie app in canada videotron will be available.

Im wondering how complicated it's to developp a widget witch search into information from site like tvhebdo.com and than change the channel based on user selection.

15. caines

caines New Member

You can easily download the tv and movies app from google play. I was searching google play today and saw it there. So hopefully google doesn't hide it on the Canada google play accounts. Test it out and let me know if it works. Also do you have a link to that YouTube video.

16. chris24man

chris24man New Member

The TV & Movies App isn't available in the Canadian Play Store but Chopper uploaded the apk and I sideloaded it. It doesn't recognize the Telus unit. It just says "Please configure a compatible TV service".

17. chopper

chopper Active Member

18. rosco

rosco New Member

Hi All, First post. I am considering getting the Sony Set top unit and was wondering if there was anyone with Experience of using it with a Alberta Shaw Motorola PVR. I have heard that the cable integration works for Shaw AB (from one post elsewhere so no proper conformation) but would love to know if the PVR function works and is accessible via the Google TV interface.

I have tried calling Shaw who would only say the unit is not supported so would no be able to provide any information on its compatibility. Also, as well I have scoured the internet with no clear answers available.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

19. chopper

chopper Active Member

PM me if you would like to volunteer to try get this App working in Canada. I need beta testers and some savvy Apps developer to get this project running.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012