Quantcast

Cable feed issue...

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by pumm3l, Dec 18, 2011.

1. pumm3l

pumm3l New Member

I just bought a NSZ-GT1 and having some issues that someone can hopefully help me with. The first issue is that whenever I turn my TV/Cable box off using my regular cable remote (I have Comcast HD boxes RNG110) and then turn it back on whether it be right away or hours later I have no video or audio from the cable feed. The Google TV user interface is displayed so the google tv is working, in order to get the comcast feed working again I have to turn the box on and off and then it's restored. There are a few instances where everything is fine when I shut everything off and back on but more times than not there's no feed. My TV is a Samsung HPT4254 42-Inch Plasma HDTV.

My 2nd issue and I don't know if this is just a setting or what, if I press the TV Power button on my sony google tv remote all it does is power off the google tv box, it doesn't shut off my cable box or my TV is there a way I can get it do power everything down? I know I can turn the TV on/off with the google tv app on my iphone so the IR blaster appears to be working, is there a way to specific what the TV power button does on the sony remote?

Thank you!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This part is due to the quirkiness of High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). Basically, if your set-top box cannot determine that all the devices in the HDMI chain is secure it will not properly send the television signal. This can be due to a fault port or bad cable but since it happen intermittently it is probably just quirkiness of the provider's HDCP implementation.

There's no IR macro to turn off your devices on the Sony Internet TV. I'm not actually sure how the NSG-MR1 one is supposed to interact with external set-top boxes when using it with the NSZ-GT1. Because using it on the Sony televisions with Google TV, you can press the Power toggle button labeled "BD/Ext" while in Live TV to shut off most set-top boxes. While the TV toggle powers of the actual TV.

3. pumm3l

pumm3l New Member

Thanks for the response. I'll try messing with different HDMI cables to see if that helps. If it's a quirk with the comcast box I assume there's not much I can do about it? That would be unfortunate.

I think I mis-worded my 2nd question though, I have a Samsung TV set not a Sony internet TV. I was referring to the NSZ-GT1 remote, there's a TV on/off button but it only turns off the NSZ-GT1, are you saying I can program a macro to turn off my Samsung TV and comcast cable box? Is that what the different color buttons are used for, macros?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You could always try swapping it with your cable company for another box. Or, you can replace the cable box with cable cards and use a Tivo instead.

No, I understood that you have the Samsung TV from the previous paragraph. I'm the one that owns the Sony Internet TV, and I explaining that there could be a difference in how the NSG-MR1 interacted between the Google TV Blu-Ray players or the televisions. Like I mentioned earlier, there are no IR macros on to turn off multiple devices. Those color buttons are for a few set-top boxes that have those buttons associated.

5. pumm3l

pumm3l New Member

Good idea, I actually have a 2nd box in my bedroom I can try swapping with the downstairs box and see if that helps.

My mistake. When you mentioned NSG-MR1 I assumed you were referring to a Sony internet ready TV, I didn't realize that was the model # for the remote until now. I thought you were referring to using the remote on a Sony TV. What I found odd though is that if my TV is turned off if I hit the TV power button on the NSG-MR1 it will turn my TV on along with the NSZ-GT1. If I hit the power button again it will only turn off the NSZ-GT1. That's why I thought there was a setting or something. This is not that big of a deal because my wife hasn't jumped on the google tv train yet and seems to dislike the NSG-MR1 so I won't be able to get rid of the comcast remote anyway. If I can get rid of this HDCP issue I'll be happy.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Well, it is possible that your television is responding to HDMI-CEC commands to turn on. Under GTV Settings > Disc player settings > HDMI settings > there is a setting for Control for HDMI and Unit auto power off. You might check there and on your television's setting for HDMI-CEC, I believe Samsung refers to it as "AnyNet".

7. pumm3l

pumm3l New Member

Well so far so good with the cable feed issue, I swapped the cable box from upstairs and so far no issues with the feed even after turning on/off a bunch of times. I'll take look at my TV settings for the HDMI-CEC settings to see if I can figure out the on/off issue.

Thanks for your help.

• Like Like x 2
  8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.